Thread: Chain lightning

Chain lightning

So yeh.. is chain lightning no longer viable in your standard ele rotation? In wotlk it was a dps increase to keep it off cd over lb, unless you had an extreme amount of haste or hero/bloodlust or another haste increasing ability was active, but i haven't really been able to find a place that can tell me whether it's still viable on fights where it won't make you go oom to early.

When i read the ele fag sticky i found no mention of this:/

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a cleaving spell. Don't use it for single target.

Only basing this on from what experience i have from running dungeons and heroics, i only use chain lightning when more than one mob is being tanked. Outside of that LB seems to be better to use than CL. Again i don't theorycraft so take it for what its worth. If all else fails go spend an hour on the target dummy. Plus if you use CL on trash it counts for your lightning shield to stack really fast so you can throw out some solid earth shocks procs
    "I promise Stormbolts dmg isnt broken"
    Patbottoms-Dalaran, US

Deleted
    indeed, CL is currently more a cleave spell. it scales less than LB, but once you can hit 3 targets with it, it becomes better.

my CL hits for 3K, my LB for 6K. but once you have 3 targets, CL hits for a little over 6K and has more chance to proc mastery.

ye sstill use it in single target , i have a buddy who thinks its a sin to use it single target but on a dummy we go back and forth in dps so i dont think it matters if u use it as a filler !

With the cooldown of lava burst not being set in stone we don't really need chain lightning to 'tighten' up the rotation anymore use it only for aoe pulls now
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    When you run out of mana because CL costs significantly more, and your buddy still has 1/2 of his mana pool left, you'll see why it's not a single target spell.

Yeah, don't use it on single target. It's a waste of a GCD and as mentioned, its not needed anymore to comfortably fit the next LvB since Lava Surge can easily disrupt that. If there's at least 3 targets, then sure, cast away, just be careful not to make yourself go OOM.