Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pulling groups with CC atm, simply because I can FF them the second between the CC hits and the mobs notice it, and it counts as I pull them.

Deleted
    When u see them start their casts, simply faerie fire, heroic throw or what do ever no the to-nuke mob and you will be top on global threat. Problem fixed. It's your incapability to tank rather then then the dps being stupid and doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightspark View Post
    Considering the fact that the op is talking about LFD groups I can't see why he's being so adamant that his way is the best. At the end of teh day it's not just tanks that have to put up with bads from the LFD tool, there are bads of every role you know?

Why be so against a form of cc that has the least failure rate when it comes to bad tanks and bad dps.
    In guild/freind groups do it your way.

In pugs, do it the safest way to increase the likelihood of actually completing the dungeon.
    Thank you for hitting the point I was trying to make earlier right on the nose. If you and your friends/guildies have a pre-determined "best-practice" for pulling, great. Continue to use that when you and your crew roll. However, LFD tool pools from a very large tank of varying-degrees-of-experienced players. You need to adapt and do whatever it takes to have a cohesive, well-coordinated team.

Whether I am healing, DPSing, or tanking, the only thing I can't stand in LFD groups, is some ass who thinks they know everything better than everyone else and is determined to continue to do something that is throwing off or frustrating another member of the group. Be flexible, know what you're doing, and just communicate well with everyone else in the party. The best groups I have had in LFD during LK and cata were simply ones that communicated and were willing to work together. OP needs to either relax or not use LFD tool IMO.

There are a lot of bad tanks in this thread.

DPS should be flexible. If tank wants to pull then have CC as mobs are running, so be it.

If tank wants CC to pull the mobs and he picks them up, so be it.

Both ways work, do not see what the issue is here.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelyn View Post
    Thank you for hitting the point I was trying to make earlier right on the nose. If you and your friends/guildies have a pre-determined "best-practice" for pulling, great. Continue to use that when you and your crew roll. However, LFD tool pools from a very large tank of varying-degrees-of-experienced players. You need to adapt and do whatever it takes to have a cohesive, well-coordinated team.

Whether I am healing, DPSing, or tanking, the only thing I can't stand in LFD groups, is some ass who thinks they know everything better than everyone else and is determined to continue to do something that is throwing off or frustrating another member of the group. Be flexible, know what you're doing, and just communicate well with everyone else in the party. The best groups I have had in LFD during LK and cata were simply ones that communicated and were willing to work together. OP needs to either relax or not use LFD tool IMO.
    You, sir, win a gold star and a letter of thanks will be mailed to your mother.

When I'm grouped with my favorite tank, I mark my CC targets, he marks his skull, our regular mage marks his own sheep target, our regular druid marks her own root target... this all usually happens simultaneously while the healer gets mana. Once ready, I prep a misdirect to the tank, launch my frost trap, wyvern sting my sleep target. My threat from doing this is misdirected to the tank, they start running to him. In the same instant, sheep is landing and root is landing as they start moving toward us. Skull arrives, we burn it down and just before it dies I change targets, mark the new skull, hunter's mark it and start dps'ing. Tank switches when he sees the new skull go up.

It works flawlessly. We roll right on through trash with, usually, between 1 and 5 CCs depending on group comp and the requirements of the pull. I even use my tank-specced crab to offtank trash mobs, offtank adds on bosses (plagued add on 1st boss in GB, for example) or even to take the initial hit on mobs so the tank doesn't get raped (hunters in ToT).

Regardless, I always pull. I always mark targets. The tanks I've run with love it. OP needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize there's more than HIS way to play.

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 917 View Post
    DPS should be flexible. If tank wants to pull then have CC as mobs are running, so be it.
    Said tank will just have to realize that Frost Traps might not work properly in said situation, that dps will be lower, that more adds will be within range of any aoe abilities (d&d, explosive traps, etc) and that the start of each pull will be a little more messy as a result, and he may end up taking more damage at the start than is necessary. But if the tank insists, I usually comply. I just expect, and often experience, the negative side of doing it this way. CC pulls usually leave the pack standing right where they started, when executed properly, and thus result in a much smoother trash clearing experience. Try it both ways and I'd be shocked if you could honestly disagree.

Tank pulling is a WoW oddity. Tanks didn't pull in EQ and we did just fine. CC pulling in WoW works great and I prefer it. Not a single person who's run Cata dungeons with me has wanted tank pulls after they see how smooth my CC pulls are.

EDIT: In fact my old guild CC pulled trash on raids in TBC, too. Saps & sheeps went out, the sheeps brought he mobs toward us and the tanks picked them up. Worked great then. Works great now. And as I said, it's cleaner and safer.
    Last edited by LQDMTL; 2010-12-13 at 05:52 PM.

As a DK tank I try and have CCers with a cast time pull first, and right before the cast finishes I'll Death Grip the skull to me and ensure I get off a quick burst of threat while any mobs that can't be CC'd run over so I can pick those up. That way I get the effect of CC pulling as they're CC'd on the spot but they still run toward me as the combat starter and other CCers can nab their targets along the way. The Death Grip + initial burst threat allows dps happy people to go nuts since its already standing there in front of them. Dropping a DnD at a safe distance helps pick up any stragglers also.