Pros and cons of range dps in PVP and PVE?

This isn't a "FoTM what class should I play" thread. I am currently playing a elemental shaman but I'm not feeling it. I'm looking for some opinions on what would be more profitable and fun in the long run between a Hunter, Mage, Shadow Priest, and Warlock. Survivability amongst those classes I know is based on the player's skill and adapting to the situation. All my friends say I should go with a mage and forget the rest. I'm just wanting people opinions from experience on what they would pick and why, with the cons and pros of course.

Deleted
    I would say pick something that you enjoy and wont get bored of. In the long run reactionspeed and involvement in the game make for better survivability and dps than somewhat better class abilities but not paying attention because you are bored of your class.

Thank you for the quick reply, Warlocks seem like they would be interesting as well as Hunters. But I hear people complain about focus not living up to it's expectations.
    Last edited by Duskether; 2010-12-11 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskether View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply, Warlocks seem like that would be interesting as well as Hunters. But I hear people complain about focus not living up to it's expectations.
    focus is fine it means you cant spam arcane shot anymore so no worries its like a cat or a rogue you have to manage it to get the best dps out if you wanna try warlocks you should try mages too there quite fun to play

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like facerolling hard play mage 1 button spam and win icelane, scorch, arcane blast choose your nuke. If you like to mash a lot of buttons with no consequence play a huntard. Spriest and Afflic lock are basically dot and run. As an spriest spam the 2 dots and run around spamming holy nova and PoM. Destro lock just blows things up in chain CCs and Demo locks are just dicks that do the samething but faster and they don't die.

Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    If you like facerolling hard play mage 1 button spam and win icelane, scorch, arcane blast choose your nuke. If you like to mash a lot of buttons with no consequence play a huntard. Spriest and Afflic lock are basically dot and run. As an spriest spam the 2 dots and run around spamming holy nova and PoM. Destro lock just blows things up in chain CCs and Demo locks are just dicks that do the samething but faster and they don't die.
    So it seems the popular choices for quick bursty direct damage are survival hunters, arcane mage and destro warlocks. DoT specs seem to be sort of having a hard time with ramp up issues?

Wow, you just incriminated yourself on knowing nothing about nearly every ranged spec in the game. Good job, i'd like to offer you the position!

I've got a balance Druid and well....ranged pvp needs skill, timing, and trinkets...lots of trinkets basically barkskin, wrath, and starsurge are the only spells I use. Hunters sound like a lot of fun, mages can survive, and warlocks are op. Out of em all, I would personally choose hunter because of survivability amount, range, the pets, and the perks of mail armor. But from what I fight against warlocks are probably a good start for over powerness.

Deleted
    personally i enjoy mages. fire for a complicated and enjoyable dps rotation pve, or frost to enjoy the QQ of people who really cant get anywhere near you pvp. arcane if you really cant be bothered to learn any kind of rotation.
    i played a warlock for a while. honestly, i find them a very dull class, but that is because i find pets make you feel less awsome, as half the stuff you do is in relation to them, or done by them.
    priests are fun, but only have one viable dps spec, so unless you want to heal too, then dont chose them for your ranged dps.
    so for me, i would say mage. but then, my main is a mage, soo im bias
    Last edited by mmoc02c4c12674; 2010-12-12 at 12:03 AM.

Most stupid fckin reply made on this forum. Ever.

Stick what what you think is your favorite, classes goes through changes all the time through patches. At some point that class is somewhat better then that class, and the other way around. Only a few classes really stays solid throughout a whole expansion
    Stick with what you feel is the most right, I picked warrior since that's always been my favorite throughout all games. Being the badass charging in and destroying the enemies ;d
    Now been playing warrior since season 4 and I have no other alts, and no intention of rerolling or making new alts. If I were to, it'd be another or several other warriors so I can que spam arena even more

Just a little pssst, if you're really unsure about it. You can try out private servers
    After I was banned from live servers back in season 2 I started out on private servers, since I couldn't be arsed leveling again. I went through all the classes, with the best possible gear to see what they were capeable of and finally found my class as a warrior. Got back in season 4 and been having a blast since

Quote Originally Posted by Titancore View Post
    imo quit wow
    And miss all the fun? Heck no!

---------- Post added 2010-12-12 at 12:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggah View Post
    Most stupid fckin reply made on this forum. Ever.

Stick what what you think is your favorite, classes goes through changes all the time through patches. At some point that class is somewhat better then that class, and the other way around. Only a few classes really stays solid throughout a whole expansion
    Stick with what you feel is the most right, I picked warrior since that's always been my favorite throughout all games. Being the badass charging in and destroying the enemies ;d
    Now been playing warrior since season 4 and I have no other alts, and no intention of rerolling or making new alts. If I were to, it'd be another or several other warriors so I can que spam arena even more

Just a little pssst, if you're really unsure about it. You can try out private servers
    After I was banned from live servers back in season 2 I started out on private servers, since I couldn't be arsed leveling again. I went through all the classes, with the best possible gear to see what they were capeable of and finally found my class as a warrior. Got back in season 4 and been having a blast since
    Hmm guess I will have to dabble in a bit of everything I guess then.

---------- Post added 2010-12-12 at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thebeefster View Post
    I've got a balance Druid and well....ranged pvp needs skill, timing, and trinkets...lots of trinkets basically barkskin, wrath, and starsurge are the only spells I use. Hunters sound like a lot of fun, mages can survive, and warlocks are op. Out of em all, I would personally choose hunter because of survivability amount, range, the pets, and the perks of mail armor. But from what I fight against warlocks are probably a good start for over powerness.
    I have seen some good hunters and good warlocks, both scary on a battlefield and in instances.

Deleted
    There's no way to decide for you what is best. Since patch 4.0/Cata, many of the key abilities of a class are available at very early levels. So, you could try levelling them all to level 20 and you should get some idea to what to commit. I doubt there's ever been a better time to level a new class, I'm not kidding!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Locks are fun pve and pvp. Hunters are fun both ways too. They both can grind easier as well. Generally make more cash from farming too. Get a priest if you want to also heal ever. Disc is very fun. Mages are fun, but too common for my liking. If you don't like cloth or so used to your shaman role a Hunter. Locks can take some abuse however. It really just depends on your play style. Or better yet make one of each? Leveling is a joke in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    There's no way to decide for you what is best. Since patch 4.0/Cata, many of the key abilities of a class are available at very early levels. So, you could try levelling them all to level 20 and you should get some idea to what to commit. I doubt there's ever been a better time to level a new class, I'm not kidding!
    I think I shall do just that, getting lvl 20 shouldn't take long at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskether View Post
    I think I shall do just that, getting lvl 20 shouldn't take long at all.
    Yeah, its the best idea. Just don't focus too much on scaling, damage, self healing stats or comparing yourself to other classes on pure stats of any kind. The classes all scale very differently and non-linearly. So you cannot compare numbers at all at any level and think it will be a reflection of that at max level.

Just focus entirely on what feels right. On the core mechanics. What fits how your mind works. Because most likely this close fit will increase as you level up and you will enjoy each new ability or talent knowing that you chose best based on how you play.

You're actually further along than others since you at least know role you're most interested in!

Yeah, its the best idea. Just don't focus too much on scaling, damage, self healing stats or comparing yourself to other classes on pure stats of any kind. The classes all scale very differently and non-linearly. So you cannot compare numbers at all at any level and think it will be a reflection of that at max level.

Just focus entirely on what feels right. On the core mechanics. What fits how your mind works. Because most likely this close fit will increase as you level up and you will enjoy each new ability or talent knowing that you chose best based on how you play.

You're actually further along than others since you at least know role you're most interested in!
    Yea, personally I can do well in pvp with melee toons. Mainly warriors, but I don't really enjoy being one in end game pve. So I am just trying to find that perfect balance I would enjoy. Had some experience has a feral druid and enhancement shaman as well, not my cup of tea either.