Poll: Who was right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A good tank will have the healer as his focus target so he can easily monitor it. That being said it is still up to the Healer to say something if he is really low. The tricky part is to get people to wait for the dps to mana up (which is necessary in heroics, particularly if said dps is a CCer).

Deleted
    As a habit from when I've been a tank I've always kept an eye on the healer after a pull to the point where I've pointed out on more than one occasion that the healer should take a drink. On my healer because I keep such a close eye myself i expect the tank to at least notice when ive typed mana break in party chat to stop but Ive lost count of the number of times theyve happily run to the next pack/boss expecting to get healed.

I voted tank because 99% of the time theyre the ones dictating the pace with the pulling so they should at least take a look to see if the healer is sat on his/her ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik View Post
    So you punish the whole group? It's much quicker to kick you and find a mature healer than it is to wait for childish antics someone is pulling. Trust me, you're the only one who enjoys the fact that you're slowing down the run. The DPS aren't on your side.

You guys know you can drink between pulls without making everyone stop, right? Just position yourself ahead of the group, close to the next pack of mobs and pop a drink as soon as the last mob dies. By the time the tank gets to the next group and needs a heal, you'll have drank for 10+ seconds. It's really not difficult to get through a whole run without stopping for a healer mana break.
    Unless of course you have to heal some people, rez them, reposition yourself behind the group etc.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

15+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: The tank should spend the 0.5 sec it takes to check the healer's mana before he pulls, but it's the healer's job to make sure they drink when they go out of combat, not stand around for 30 seconds then cry when the tank pulls because they forgot or cba.

id say it was a group effort, in a good group everyone keeps an eye on whats going on. even when im dpsing i keep a look out on the healers mana (my main spec is holy) so i know if they are nearly oom and i get a hand of light proc, i help out with a WoG. i dont mind sacrificing my dps to keep the group alive.

Knowledge is power, if you know the fight mechanics you have a better chance of beating it, if you play all three roles you have a better understanding of what each player is doing.

and on that folksy wisdom i bid you good luck xD
    Last edited by Saethwyr; 2010-12-13 at 03:32 PM. Reason: odd place for a comma...?
    medicus quercum, venit.
    One's soldiers should not yell abuse at the enemy. "Arouse a bee and it will come at you with the ferocity of a dragon." - Takeda Nobushige

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would have voted against you except for 1 tiny comment you made about the situation. This happened directly after the boss kill. Now i dont know about anyone else, but i have not come though a boss fight yet with enough mana to pull right away. Made worse if there are any deaths, you cant immediately sit an drink. The tank was a complete douche for pulling immediately after, and ill be honest, i would have been pissed enough to let him die too. Healing isn't easy anymore and anyone who makes it even harder is a complete dick. I will tell the tank when i need mana on trash pulls, but after a boss, it just expected that I need time to sit and drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't have to tell the Tank you're drinking. The first thing he should do after a pull is check your mana to see if he can pull again.

The healer, ultimately.

If you need mana, say so. I've no problem waiting for you, as I don't rush through instances.

Deleted
    Both actually. All the reasons have been said before.

The only bad part would be: Tank blames healer and healer blames tank = no solution! ;D

imo, it's everyones responsibility to keep an eye on the healers mana

this fresh into an expansion where a lot of fight mechanics (both healing and tanking) have changed, i think it's up to everyone to see the difference it made to damage taken, healing done and mana usage and to adapt accordingly with more CC, less QQ, a lot less gogogo and a few more mana breaks as well as bandages!! also, taking the opportunity to top your own health up with self heals after a fight (for e.g. a ret paladin using holy light with the 300% bonus from killing honorable targets, or bandages) will save on healer mana and make instance runs go faster.

some people are gonna have some seriously bad habits to break from the pre-school that was wotlk and as such, i wont be tanking a pug group for a good 6 months, i'll be doing guild runs or nothing, maybe just maybe pugging 1 dps to fill the group, but that'll be a rare occasion.

The entire group is responsible for being a cohesive team during a run, pug or no. I have been leveling up a Worgen rogue and was doing randoms yesterday. The tank pulled three or four times when the healer was oom. After everyone requesting the tank slow down and pay attention to the healers mana, he finally caught on and started paying attention. No healer mana = dead group (lol vanish!). The tank was a quick learner and the run went very smoothly afterward. A little politeness goes a long way when doing pugs, and if you can educate someone in the process, it's an even better run.

As someone who typically rolls a healer I very much prefer that the tank acknowledge my mana bar between fights himself. Him doing such is simply a good habit for a tank. However, if he does not fulfil my desire it is ultimately me who is responsible to ask the tank to wait for my mana. If he does not wait due to his lack of awareness and his lack of llistening to me, it is he who is responsible.

They best watch my mana...

If they run ahead of me or pull while I'm oom and die that's their own damn fault.

The tank can feel free to leave, it puts us at the front of the queue anyways. Sick and tired of god complex tanks that dgaf because they have insta queues.

I want to disagree with the majority and defend us tanks. Allthough i never pull a pack without healer beeing over 70% mana some of them take it for granted. I also start the instance by saying "feel free to ask for MB's"

It is NOT the tanks job to watch if you are ready for combat or not, our job is to keep threat. IF you need a MB,, simply ask for one. "Enter, M, B, Enter" Takes you 3 seconds.

I'm not a complete idiot. There are exceptions. If the instance is beeing speedtanked (this is more or less a decicion the tank takes) he should always watch out for mana issues.

Third scenario, if the healer asks for a MB and tank pulls, tanks fault obviously.

I started doing things this way because some healers are screaming gogo if they are at 50% mana while others want you to wait for 100%. Take control of your own mbs, and make the tank follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknot View Post
    Unless of course you have to heal some people, rez them, reposition yourself behind the group etc.
    Yes, if you need to rez someone, that should be an automatic red flag for the tank to wait. Needing to heal someone isn't an excuse for you not drinking immediately. You can still heal everyone up before the next group is pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    You shouldn't have to tell the Tank you're drinking. The first thing he should do after a pull is check your mana to see if he can pull again.
    The tank shouldn't have to look at your mana bar to know you need to drink. The first thing you should do after a pull is tell him you need to drink.

See what I did there?

I just don't understand how it's the tank's responsibility to watch the healer's mana. I do agree to some extent (if the healer is at 5% mana after a pull), but not if they're at 25% mana. If you're a healer at 25%+ mana, YOU need to let the tank know you're going to drink if you want him to stop, because not every healer is going to drink at that point. If you are, make sure he knows that.

Think of it this way. If Paladin tanks ran out of mana, would it be your (healer's) job to make sure he had enough mana for every pull, or his? When you look at it that way, it makes this argument seem even more silly. Take care of your own character by saying "mana", and they'll take care of theirs.
    Last edited by Elektrik; 2010-12-13 at 04:31 PM.

if you are a tank and you are pulling with a healer that has less than 50% mana from the last trash pack. chances he will go oom before you kill the second trash pack. in these times you are god like and don't need heals, thats what I understand.

as a priest heal ain't the fastest heal it takes 2 sec per, sometimes I have to heal 2 person after a fight to ''top em'' closer to their max health some tank won't wait those 4 second and pull anyway. so I'm not finished on last pull, my mana is less than 50% mana from 1 pull (because of pug dps standing in fire).

my point is, if your healer is moving toward the next trash and not drinking he is ready, if he is far away from the group chances are he is drinking is that hard? fucking wotlk carebear players should leave now, go pvp its easy and you won't bother anyone.

It's both of your responsability...if your going to sit down for mana atleast tell him and most tanks i've puged with keep an eye out for the healers mana but sometimes you just forget to look and some dont read chat so its bound to happen..so theres no reason to have a competition to see whos being the bigest ass about the matter.

Deleted
    It all depends on several factors it isn't really the tank's fault if you have dps aggroing off them etc: they need to control threat themselves and the tanks need to try and use their mechanincs, cooldowns and abilities to prevent losing health whereas for say a healer they need to try and keep their mana up as much as possible. if you haven't read mana is a very fragile and easily used thing now I have a mage and my mana is gone alot of the time thats why i use mage armor to stop this. In short its not the healer's fault or the tank's fault if the tank is doing a good job and the healer is healing the tank in the majority it should be fine blame the dps if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    It's both of your responsability...if your going to sit down for mana atleast tell him and most tanks i've puged with keep an eye out for the healers mana but sometimes you just forget to look and some dont read chat so its bound to happen..so theres no reason to have a competition to see whos being the bigest ass about the matter.
    its not bound to happen, if you can't check your chat and your healers mana before pull you are making everyone else wipe and thats a fail for a tank. check healer mana, taking 5 sec to do so or running for 30 + sec to the instance?

Deleted
    I don't understand why people still run random dungeons. You can queue for random with a guild group aswell, so there's absolutely no need to take more than ONE random guy (if even) into an instance, better have none at all.

If you're in an able guild group, such issues as "who has to watch my mana?" will never be an issue.