Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Where do you recommend buying parts from then? Also I live in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bainz
    ...I went to America for a Holiday and I had someone ask me if the kids ride Kangaroo's to school...

specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

So running dual-monitors slows down your game? I've experienced a slowdown in my game over the past couple weeks, but i've also gotten a much higher rez screen, an I'm using my old screen as a secondary.

Your hardware is fine, if you've just seen a drop since Cata, it's because you either have a bad addon or your settings are fubar, like you have shadows on very high.

Your temperatures are fine for the Q6600, well they could be lower, 60's at idle is about 20C higher than what it should be, but you're probably using the stock cooler, which is terrible.

I would definitely go to ATI's site and download the most up to date driver for your graphics card, could definitely clear up some issues.

Deleted
    Hey there buddy,

My girlfriends old PC was also having some FPS issues and I fixed it with 1 simple exercise....CLEANING! (no really). Dust is the biggest cause of poor performance on a "not-so-recent" machine.

First I took out all the cables (remember where they go, label each end if you have to).
    Unscrew any case fans you might have (the ones on the metal itself and not on the CPU/GFX). Clear off dust on the fins of the fan. Not having a sharp, smooth, uninterrupted edge can lower the propulsion of the air by quite a lot (id guess at least 20%). Id suggest using some cotton buds to get the dust off then hoover the loose stuff once its been pushed aside.

When you have done this its time to get inside your 2 main dust attacked parts: You CPU and GPU fan. CPU and GPU heat sinks are very small with lots of fins close together to maximise conductivity with the air. This is fantastic for cooling but it means smaller holes for dust to get stuck in so it blocks the airflow. Also if there is a dust layer on the fins it slows down the transfer of heat which causes your heat sink to be higher temperature (Which means your CPU is also higher).
    The easiest way to do this is take off your CPU cooling unit as a whole. There should be a method of separating the Fan and Heat sink. If you are new to the inside of a PC, watch out for the substance at the bottom of the heat sink, try not to rub it off, its very important. Give the fan the same treatment as the others then move onto the heat sink. clean as much as you can in between the fins.

Now the graphics card is the same in theory but they can use a different fan/heat sink structure. To do the same with the GPU you have to take out the card. Only do this is you know how to handle it, and have an anti static bag to put the card in.
    There is usually 4 sprung screws on the underside of the GPU. This will usually release the heat sink - from then on its the same as the CPU fan.

When the 2 main parts are you I suggest cleaning the inside of your case.

Doing all of this lowered her CPU temperature by 16-20C and raised her FPS by 15-20 as well. The GPU I'm not sure of the temperature changes but everything helps.
    I hope this helped/will help you, be careful inside if you are new to the inside of PCs. Watch out for the static charge in your body, always try to touch something metal (To transfer the charge into that object) If you are charged and touch a component in the PC it can damage it. Work on your PC with the plug plugged in - WITH THE POWER OFF - and touch your Power Supply case / PC Case. This will ensure you are always grounded and that's where the charge will go.

V

Air

Instead of taking everything apart, if you've never been inside a computer before and want to be safe, just buy a can of compressed air, blow everything out of there, don't touch anything, and your good to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's using an ATI 4650 and people are telling his specs are fine...what is this I don't even-

@OP, when Cata launched and I logged in my FPS was DRAGGING along at ~5-10, and nothing I changed made any difference. Gave me 5 fps on ultra, 5 fps on lowest. But after enough fiddling around with settings, something finally clicked and it somehow got fixed and FPS went back up to normal (70+). Don't ask how.

Try it with your graphics card settings forcing vsync off, same with ingame settings, try it with lowest multisampling, turn shadows OFF, water, etc etc. Something's bound to fix it. Get the latest ATI drivers (10.11 I think).

And BTW if you're running WoW at high resolutions w/ high settings, a 4650 is no longer going to cut it.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-12-13 at 08:33 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

So with all that in mind, and a little bit of reading I've notice that intel is going to be putting out some new processors in early 2011, if I'm considering an upgrade that I don't drastically need now, is it worth it to wait for the new pieces?

I'm thinking along the lines of the new i5 2600k, is there any ideas as to how much this is going to cost in comparison to what is available now?
    ...I went to America for a Holiday and I had someone ask me if the kids ride Kangaroo's to school...

Okay I was asleep but never ever, ever, EVER recommend newegg.com to a Canadian Customer. Nothing in Canada can compare to the Prices, Features, Support that NCIX.com offers. NCIX is an online retailer that also has retail outlets in Canada - it is older then newegg and has been operating it's website longer.

In addition they price match ANY price you can find in Canadian Funds free of charge (most of the time instantly if it's less then 15%). If you're looking to build one yourself NCIX.com is the best place to get parts from in Canada, Shipping costs are low, Sales every week, Free Price Match. If you're looking to buy one NCIX.com offers a large assortment of pre-built machines that they build in-house - these aren't Dell, Gateway, HP, Acer they are built by NCIX.

You can also select all your own parts and NCIX will put it together for $50, and test it. If you're looking more for a retailer that sells pre-builts that are able to push performance but are still no where near the value of a system you'd build yourself or one that you'd pay NCIX to make for you Digital Storm is generally a good buy.

PS: NCIX also has an American site, it's operated at NCIXUS.com
    PPS: The OP's system isn't bad, it's just that the Q6600 is aging, a solid Dual-Core offering in the Core i5 line would easily out perform it in most games regardless of the amount of additional core's the Q6600 has.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfiire View Post
    So with all that in mind, and a little bit of reading I've notice that intel is going to be putting out some new processors in early 2011, if I'm considering an upgrade that I don't drastically need now, is it worth it to wait for the new pieces?

I'm thinking along the lines of the new i5 2600k, is there any ideas as to how much this is going to cost in comparison to what is available now?
    From the few things I've read about these processors they are definitely worth waiting for. I'd imagine it will be ~$4-500 for the ~2.5ghz quad core and a motherboard, but that is speculation and guess on my part
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    Okay I was asleep but never ever, ever, EVER recommend newegg.com to a Canadian Customer. Nothing in Canada can compare to the Prices, Features, Support that NCIX.com offers. NCIX is an online retailer that also has retail outlets in Canada - it is older then newegg and has been operating it's website longer.

In addition they price match ANY price you can find in Canadian Funds free of charge (most of the time instantly if it's less then 15%). If you're looking to build one yourself NCIX.com is the best place to get parts from in Canada, Shipping costs are low, Sales every week, Free Price Match. If you're looking to buy one NCIX.com offers a large assortment of pre-built machines that they build in-house - these aren't Dell, Gateway, HP, Acer they are built by NCIX.

You can also select all your own parts and NCIX will put it together for $50, and test it. If you're looking more for a retailer that sells pre-builts that are able to push performance but are still no where near the value of a system you'd build yourself or one that you'd pay NCIX to make for you Digital Storm is generally a good buy.

PS: NCIX also has an American site, it's operated at NCIXUS.com
    PPS: The OP's system isn't bad, it's just that the Q6600 is aging, a solid Dual-Core offering in the Core i5 line would easily out perform it in most games regardless of the amount of additional core's the Q6600 has.
    First, non-amateur, reply yet. Listen to this dude.

Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post

Are you saying Neweggs pricings are bad? :P Add 30-50% to those, and you have the cheapest in Sweden.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose I should have specified that I'm running dual monitors also.

---------- Post added 2010-12-12 at 07:47 PM ----------

CHASSIS COLOR Cosmic Black, Alienware Aurora Chassis
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    MEMORY 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
    VIDEO CARD Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5670 CrossfireX™ Enabled
    HARD DRIVE 500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD
    SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Is this a decent computer for $1,318.90 taxes and shipping included?
    I'd put a 5870 in there. ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze611 View Post
    I'd put a 5870 in there. ;D
    You mean 6870. 5870 is an overpriced piece of tinfoil (since it's technically still the fastest single-GPU card that AMD has to offer).

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    From the few things I've read about these processors they are definitely worth waiting for. I'd imagine it will be ~$4-500 for the ~2.5ghz quad core and a motherboard, but that is speculation and guess on my part
    here are the prices on the sandy bridge cpu`s
    prices on sandy bridge cpu`s

ps.
    its in german. but just scroll down to the cpu`s price list. they are in us dollars
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

It's decent and will run WoW fine, but it's much overpriced. Intel doesn't even make the i7-920 anymore, and I don't think they're making the 930's either. I bought almost that same computer for $1200 two years ago, and I know for a fact that it's cost is far less than that now without even pricing it out.

I wouldn't buy anything at this point; Intel has new processors coming out in a month that are worth waiting for if you will be buying a new computer.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything at this point; Intel has new processors coming out in a month that are worth waiting for if you will be buying a new computer.
    I agree. It runs, apparantly with the case open, on a very decent level.

He doesn't really need to upgrade if he can find a solution, in my opinion. However, if he insists on doing it, he should wait for sandy bridge. (or whatever with AMD, either price-drops or new CPUs as well)

10+ Year Old Account
    Although this does seem to have turned into the dreaded "waiting game", I think Jan 2011 will be the best time to build a PC. I see nothing on the horizon. GTX 580 and 570 is out, 560 will be here soon, new i5's will be out (no point waiting for the new i7's in mid-2011 because they'll be insanely expensive), HD6900 series should be here any day now....and that about covers it for 2011's highlights.

I suppose I should have specified that I'm running dual monitors also.

---------- Post added 2010-12-12 at 07:47 PM ----------

just change the GFX card for a GTX 460

but as Xuvial said , you should wait for the New core i5 series (2xxx) , IMO

According to that German site the new i5 2500k will be about 216$ USD, that sounds reasonable to me, in comparison to performance of what is currently available is it a decent price?

Also is it worth running dual video cards? I'm currently using 2 23" widescreen LCDS