Enhancement Shaman/ Frost Mage Arena Comp?

So I'm really new to arena and i haven't ever taken BGs too seriously, but something with Cataclysm pvp really makes me want to get into it and give it my all. I've been looking at videos of enhancement beta pvp, and trying to learn what do to in pvp, and now feel kind of as though i hit a wall. I looked at Arena junkies and other things for Arena strategies and comps and everything seems kind of date (Most specs on there are pre-4.0.1) so it feels like uncharted territory to me. Well actually there was one article that said it doesn't work very well, but as i said before it's pretty outdated.

Instead of trying to find some cookie cutter strategy thats dated, I decided just try to do some 'theory crafting' myself. The comp that i keep thinking of to me is enhancement and frost mage for 2v2, and then probably a healer for 3v3. I didn't really see anything on it, mainly like beastcleave, so i just did my own poking around and pondering.

The reasoning behind my idea for this mainly has to do with the synergy I see between the two specs. On EJ for the 85 enhancement guide i saw the tool tip for the Unleash Elements with Frostbrand, its straight up damage when unleashed with a slow affect, but that its damage is increased if a frost based slow or snare is already on it. Combine that with Frozen Power freezes (which i would think would work with a mages benefits to frozen targets). I feel like the amount of CC they can do isn't terrible but really, it just feels like they could work together with the slows they can put out.

So any thoughts on this? Could it be possible, or am i glaring past some major hole that makes this fall apart

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    It may work, nobody will really know* until Tuesday. There is a huge difference in arena and duelling. I'm not sure if UE Frostbrand affects mages, but if it does, that's awesome! I play an Enhancement Shaman myself, and have noticed we are able to do some serious damage now, and have decent CC with the Hex glyph (and now Bind Elements vs. other Frost Mages). Frost mages seem a little weak right now by themselves, but with a melee class with decent CC and damage output (plus, now we have much better survivability) it may just work.
    Last edited by Pronger; 2010-12-13 at 01:01 AM.

Affliction Warlock, Resto Druid, Enhancement Shaman did good in tBC arena, but i doubt that frost mage will fill the warlock's spot well, seeing as the mage is burst orientated and the warlock is not.

Also in 2v2 a shaman is the easiest class to lockdown so having a class like a frost mage wouldn't benefit much on that part.
    I do realize that the shaman is unstoppable with wolves, but if your target survives wolves then you have nothing to counter things like nova.

An enhancement shaman's best option is still holy paladin for 2s imo

Ok, yeah idk i was just throwing out an idea that I had, i just sounded like it might be possible. And yeah i agree with Pronger that we really don't know until Tuesday. I will find a holy pally and try that out though, and the lock and resto druid for 3s, thanks.

I was thinking about this also.

comp name: frost play?

It seems like it would work.

I think I'll try to find a frost mage partner.

Well when i was thinking about it wanted to call it IcyShock. You know like Icy Hot except... Shock for shaman

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi there, first off I'll say, congratulations to you on attempting your own theorycrafting and braving new grounds! A man like unto myself.

So, if the freeze of the Shaman works for Shatter of Mage (and it should) then that is a nice synergy for damage.

In this stage of the game, I believe most dual DPS teams in 2v2 will be viable.
    -Shaman has frequent spell interrupt
    -the team has a lot of snares between the two
    -shaman has aoe snare removal
    -purge + spellsteal
    -Time Warp + wolves
    -Hex + Sheep
    -offheals from Shaman
    -mostly all magic damage, bypassing armor

Why wouldn't it work?? Good luck! It's great to hear of new comps instead of the same old same old.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quehn View Post
    Affliction Warlock, Resto Druid, Enhancement Shaman did good in tBC arena, but i doubt that frost mage will fill the warlock's spot well, seeing as the mage is burst orientated and the warlock is not.

Also in 2v2 a shaman is the easiest class to lockdown so having a class like a frost mage wouldn't benefit much on that part.
    I do realize that the shaman is unstoppable with wolves, but if your target survives wolves then you have nothing to counter things like nova.

I did frost mage / enha sham 2s in s7 with a friend and it was more than satisfactory, as you say, if they survive wolves/BL it's pretty much over, but it worked. And enhancement got huge buffs it seems, at least I seem to pull ahead be it PvE or PvP right now, enha is very solid at this point

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quehn View Post

In WotLk enh/rogue was very viable too, with very nice burst and some decent CC you were able to lock down most comps. Enh/Holy sounds very viable too me either in cata right now, because 10% MS, the missing MS of enh shouldn't be that hard anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're thinking of zerging them down in the duration of BL/Timewarp then that's just not going to work. This isn't WotLK. Even fights involving double dps vs double dps can go on for a while from what I've seen on Beta arena footage. You're going to need some REAL synergy between classes/specs to make effective comps.

....I honestly think Mage + Priest (shadow or heals) will continue to be one of the best 2v2 setups. Their combined toolbox of CC's/control, utility, offheals, dispels, etc is simply too great. Mage/Rogue may also make a big return, thank god that Rogues can actually survive on their own now.
    I can also seen Mage/Lock and Mage/Moonkin working.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-12-13 at 08:06 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Nice theorycrafting ! Hopefully it'll be a viable comp. Even with big Health pools and resillience, I'm pretty sure a team like this is able to focus down a target with the cc's, with a mix of purges / spellsteal - BL/TW

!

I've been thinking the same thing, the synergy seems really good. I'm excited to test it out

Mage/Sham + Fotm healer = wins.