10+ Year Old Account

Post I just don't think it's a good idea or will last (Regarding Off-Topic Forum)

I haven't posted in there yet but based on what I've been reading in the last few days, I can only see Q.Q coming from it. While it's obvious this has been discussed by the powers that be for a long time, it opens to door to alot of the problems "Certain Other Game Sites" I won't name have on their forums (I won't say the site's name since it's my understanding the name of said site is automatically changed to something else--not that I blame the staff if's for the reasons I think). I can only speak for myself so I'll go ahead and say I'll need to be convinced the addition will be an overall positive one.

The saying "Be careful what you wish for" immediately comes to mind. It only takes a spark and I'm sure all the new appointed mods really don't wanna spend time they'd rather have doing something else editing/deleting posts, etc. because it can be misenterpreted. The pressure to keep the new forum "Troll/Flame/etc." proof...it's exactly why I decline requests from people I know to work on their websites as a forum mod. I'll get back to this momentarily.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't want to be punished for speaking their mind either. Naturally I'm aware this is the Internet. People lie and talk bull****, etc. without having to back up what they say. What I'm talking about is giving your opinion/stance in the active topic and being punished for either having a differentiating opinion/stance or explaining why your opinion/stance is what it is. Now I'll go back to what I was getting at in the end of the orevious paragraph.

To be blunt: Freedom of Speech does not exist on the internet even if the website it based in the US. At the same time, save requiring all new posts and topics to be pre-approved before they're posted, it's impossible to outright censor someone's opinion/stance. I've tried and have had people try with me. In both instances the expressor got the final say. I say this because I believe both are what the intent is with the new forum. Some rules can be bent and.or outright broken and it's with this in mind I've decided to swear off posting in the New Forum at least in the short term. I'm not referring to myself with that last comment.

I've been using the internet long enough to know a site's ToS/ToU/etc. and their enforcement are at the discretion of the individual site's Webmaster and staff. I personally prefer it when sites include the line "We reserve the righr to deny you access to ou site and/or service for any or no reason at any time without warning". Of course they don't have to but it's good to remember when you log in to find you've been hit with the Ban Hammer. Almost all sites say they'll never ban someone for any length of time out of the blue if they can help it barring the obvious. Even so, if you want to get rid of someone what's to stop you from doing it?

I'm aware I've gone off-topic a bit so I'll get to the point: At the very least, the Off-Topic Forum should be split. With the plethora of topic discussions that have been explicitly listed as banned on the site (and I'm not referring to illegal or immortal stuff), I have no real reason to use it. Just the thought of having to phrase my posts specifically in what's supposed to be an enjoyable experience tells me it's not worth wasting my time adding to the discussion.

Now as is my personal policty with ALL topics I feel will be purged on sight, I went ahead and put a copy of this on my personal forums for reference. At least that way my opinion on this is still online.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Huh ... What?
    I too am confused...

But the OT forums are awesome.

Deleted
    Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

10+ Year Old Account
    yay sports forums!

Boub I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for making em!

And OP, I have no idea what you are talking about!
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

I think, and my bad-writing translator skills are a bit rusty, that he means that it's going to be so difficult to moderate the OT forums that either people are going to feel like there is an iron-fist censoring them or the topics will run rampant with flaming, trolls, and other things that deteriorate the quality of forums.
    If you want to make raiding content harder, turn off DBM. Voila! Your encounters will be much more challenging without bleeps and someone telling you to "run away, little girl."

10+ Year Old Account
    Off-topic Forums are just that...off-topic forums. Arguing that they are pointless/stupid/what-have-you is a drop in the ocean because that is their purpose. If you were a mod, it would be fine to speak up to your advisor, but it seems to me like you are telling these people how to think. I just think you should let them be. If they bother you so much, leave 'em alone, uncheck the box for recent posts, and skip over them when you are sweeping the boards. Dare I say that you may have been trolled by an entire forum section.
    We removed the Fun Stuff forum, all the Fun in the MMO-Champion forums will now be taking place in my pants.

Xenophics <Famous> - Scarlet Crusade (US)

10+ Year Old Account
    ... I don't think I get it..

Quote Originally Posted by Istealmats View Post
    Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    Intelligent post is intelligent. BECAUSE THERE TOTALLY AREN'T ADMINS WATCHING THIS THREAD.

Huh ... What?
    I could not have said it better! When the ADMINISTRATOR has no f'n idea about what you are talking about maybe it is time to rethink a post. (rofl)
    Last edited by Nibbin; 2010-12-13 at 06:38 AM.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." ~William Faulkner
    "Ever look at the word 'Damage'? - It is clearly right in front of you...DA MAGE!"

My rank is a lie... I do not have the patience for that text.. Read half of it, decided it wasn't really worth reading :P

But yeah, a lot of flaming in there... But no more than there already is, the same rules apply, so don't break a sweat over it

I read through that a couple times. I think what the OP means is he believes his posts are being accused of flaming/troll and getting deleted because he doesn't share the same beliefs as the majority of the people on this forum.

To respond to the OP, you don't get banned for having a different opinion than other people here, it's all about how you phrase it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ugh can't sleep :P

I think the vast majority of the posts in the off topic forums have been ok so far. The same rules apply to a thread you would make in any other forum on this site. On certain topics we've been keeping a closer eye on them to make sure they don't turn into flame wars. Still, we aren't deleting posts left and right.

As long as you abide by the forum guidelines you'll be fine. If you're unsure about something you want to post then by all means run it by a mod first.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khallynos View Post
    Off-topic Forums are just that...off-topic forums. Arguing that they are pointless/stupid/what-have-you is a drop in the ocean because that is their purpose. If you were a mod, it would be fine to speak up to your advisor, but it seems to me like you are telling these people how to think. I just think you should let them be. If they bother you so much, leave 'em alone, uncheck the box for recent posts, and skip over them when you are sweeping the boards. Dare I say that you may have been trolled by an entire forum section.
    Exactly.

I don't want to talk about politics, religion, or American football, so I don't. But the fact is that there are a LOT of people who do, even quite a few moderators. It is probably the most frequently requested feature that I've seen (as a user).
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Also, going off topic in your own thread about off topic forums....ironic at best?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    To be blunt: Freedom of Speech does not exist on the internet even if the website it based in the US.
    You're misunderstanding freedom of speech like so many other armchair lawyers. What it means is that you can express your opinions on your own or public property when it does not interfere with rights or freedoms of other people. If you're on somebody's else's property (such as this forum), your freedom gets limited by the owners' rights to defend what's theirs.

To put it into very simple terms: you're free to crap on your own lawn, but when you try to crap on your neighbor's lawn, he's free to shoot you for trespassing on his property.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...Yeah, that's when I realized I was embarassing myself.

I now honestly say that was my worst attempt at trying to make a constructive feedback post in 10 years. I've even gone ahead and added it to my last for an upcoming "WTF were you thinking?" slide for You Tube >.<;

I wanted to make that longer and hopefully explain myself better but being 26 years old and knowing this is the internet, most people only read the first and last sentance of anything I post that's more than a paragraph in length.

...Damn it I did it again (off topic >.<)

*facepalm*

At least I posted twice so no one will think I made the thread just because I can. Ok, do whatever you want with this thrread. I don't care. I'd rather say that than reqauest any specifics. I already succeeded in flat-out making an idiot of myself >.>;

EDIT: I don't have any arguement with what's been said so far. It's just obvious I'm over analyzing things. I think I might have to swear off long postings for a while since it's obvious I failed miserably at what I was trying to say >.>
    Last edited by Aurabolt; 2010-12-13 at 01:17 PM.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Removed - I didn't want to get caught trollin' again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think what he's trying to say is that because this website doesn't have to abide to free speech laws, that someone/he could get banned for speaking an honest, on topic opinion, regardless of what the ToU or ToS might say, and this bothers/frightens him to the point of not posting in said topic.

Did I get that right?
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

15+ Year Old Account
    Well. Yes and no. We do encourage people to post topics in the OT forums. We are closely watching some of the more political and contentious threads. People are welcome to post their opinions. However if the opinions turn to flaming another person, posting something offensive to another person/group, or trolling/spam we will act on them to varying degrees.

Honestly.. well thought out constructive posts are 100% welcome. If you want to post something that you're unsure of then by all means, PM a Mod first before posting. Also if you see something offensive, don't hesitate to report it to us.

It's really about maturity and common sense.