Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Melee, and honestly everyone it's just more obvious with melee, have gotten used to just being healed thru everything and not having to worry about reducing the damage they receive. As a melee player (frost DK) and with the healers going oom almost every pull I don't expect the healer to bail me out. I run away from the aoe, stay behind the mobs/boss to avoid cleaves/cone attacks, use self healing when possible (summon sacrifice ghoul, etc.) and pop damage reducing cool downs such as IBF and AMS when damage is unavoidable. So far in runs I've been on I'm usually one of the last ones standing, it's really not that hard people just have to me more situationaly aware than they are used to being and pull out more abilities than they have in the past.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time I'm taking excess damage as melee is when the tank is AoE tanking groups of mobs that AoE if they aren't interrupted/controlled. I can only reduce incoming damage so much, even with mouse over interrupt macros, mouse over stuns, self healing and defensive cooldowns. It's funny when the healer is pissed at me because I'm taking tons of AoE damage from a huge group of mobs and he's killing his mana pool trying to keep the retarded tank up, then next pull he's pissed at me because I stay out of the fight and toss some heals or something to not take tons of damage.

Also, tanks moving mobs incorrectly, spinning them around and getting melee cleaved isn't fun either. So it's not always a melee problem. However, if it's a reasonable amount of mobs and incoming damage, it's easy to minimize it to a point where self healing can keep you up. If you're failing this, it's your fault so get better.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    I actually had a healing paladin tell me (enhancement shaman) to stop healing.

I was maintaining top DPS while healing myself & others, trying to keep people topped off when the paladin felt fine slacking and leaving everyone at around 50-60%.

When I mentioned this he said "Fine, f*** you" and left.

:|

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awwe View Post
    I actually had a healing paladin tell me (enhancement shaman) to stop healing.

I was maintaining top DPS while healing myself & others, trying to keep people topped off when the paladin felt fine slacking and leaving everyone at around 50-60%.

When I mentioned this he said "Fine, f*** you" and left.

:|
    Healers aren't balanced around topping people off anymore, though. They're supposed to leave dps anywhere between 50-75% hp depending on the fight mechanics and then play triage. They don't have the mana to support 100% at all times. With that being said, he overreacted and you were definitely helping out if you could maintain dps and heal at the same time, and most healers would love you for it.

As a healer I certainly don't get mad/nerd rage with melee for taking damage. If it's avoidable damage I bring that up, talk about how to avoid it and move on. We're all still on a learning curve and losing your temper never creates a "teachable moment". As far as a dps wanting to help out with healing- that's fine but should be unnecessary in the vast majority of situations. As Rilec said, we're not balanced around having players at 100% HP anymore. But I understand the triage mentality will take a while to get used to- no matter what your role is.

I only dislike bad melee or overly imbalanced groups with too much melee (I hate all ranged and no melee too). My bigest peve with melee is they like to jump the gun on the pulls. If the tank pulls and then backs up 20 yards follow him dont charge past the initial pull point to the first target you see. I've seen more trash wipes from that anoying habit than anything else. Melee should never even contemplate entering melee range of a mob before the tank does but far too many do. at least the range normaly stay behind the tank so anything they shoot early is likely to run by the tank on the way and easy for them to pick up. I keep seeing melee jump on a caster and stop them there and then a pat comes up and eats them, and then either the tank or the healer.

Yeah, I feel your pain OP. I heal on my holy pally and on some runs, it goes rather smooth and other runs, I have a horrible time keeping up the group; that is, melee taking a considerable amount of damage. Once, I had a melee telling me that I don't need to heal the tank so much. How the f*ck does he know what heals I am using and who I am healing? Worry about your job and I will worry about mine.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot more "hard to avoid" effects for melee than there are for ranged. If a ranged stays at max-ish range, they can avoid most of what dungeons can throw at them by simply moving a little bit.

Melee have a lot more effects to worry about. Some of them arent even targeted at them, but the tank, and just have a large enough range to hit them as well. Melee take more damage. It sucks, but it's true. Some healers are freaking out about healing the dungeons now with their more fragile mana pools and "weaker" heals (relative to HP pools). They just need to get used to Cata dungeons. In the meantime, expect to be hated on by healers that don't know the things going on around them.

Disclaimer: I'm a priest. I've done a whole lot of both healing and dps'ing since Tuesday. I've done a lot of mind controlling and reading what abilities do. I understand the difference between bad players standing in win-patches and good players getting hit by spells.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superficial View Post
    the perfect amount of melee is 0
    I smell a ret paladin trolling.