Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    It is definitely a temperature issue. I have the mobility 5450 and the same happens to me, when im running wow my temps are 50+ which is way to high for wow, but tbh I am yet to find a solution outside of sticking a fan infront of the vents for my laptop. I would love any possible solutions because its really annoying in raids and is too costly in arena i've been playing on my crappy desktop to avoid gamebreaking pauses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snugglebunni View Post
    It is definitely a temperature issue. I have the mobility 5450 and the same happens to me, when im running wow my temps are 50+ which is way to high for wow, but tbh I am yet to find a solution outside of sticking a fan infront of the vents for my laptop. I would love any possible solutions because its really annoying in raids and is too costly in arena i've been playing on my crappy desktop to avoid gamebreaking pauses.
    50° on a notebook is perfectly fine.. Also, it's not "Just WoW" as over 9000 people have pointed out over 9000 times already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    50° on a notebook is perfectly fine.. Also, it's not "Just WoW" as over 9000 people have pointed out over 9000 times already.
    Sorry internet nazi, glad I was able to give you the opportunity to increase your e-peen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandelbaum View Post
    My son's Acer Aspire (AS5740G-6979) with the same video card does the exact same thing. His CPU is the Intel Core i5-430M(2.26GHz), but other than that it is pretty much the same machine. I'm guessing some sort of 3rd party utility that they include on these machines, a bios setting, or something like that. Also, it seems to happen in other games as well (Team Fortress 2 for instance), so it might also be a network card setting. Have you tried any other games J50?
    I have not played any other games.

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 07:25 PM ----------

Does sitting a fan by the vent make the random freezes stop? I figured if it was heat it'd slow the FPS down in general, not just momentarily.
    Last edited by J50; 2010-12-13 at 07:26 PM.

Deleted
    Sorry internet nazi, glad I was able to give you the opportunity to increase your e-peen.
    This has nothing to do with being an internet nazi, I was just proving you wrong, anyone would.
    Also, I do not care about e-peen, I (try to) help people because I want to, not because it gets my post count to whatever number or gives me an extra rank.

Deleted
    When I have my fan running i can normally keep the temp down to around 42. It does generally seem to stop the freezes and make it more playable but i'd hardly call it a practical solution - It gets really annoying after a while. You could give it a try, its the only thing i've found so far that helps

Deleted
    its your hard disk/drive, easy to fix... but the new official forums killed my link(it was german).
    some wd-disks park too fast, which is causing mini-frezzes, i had the same problem
    its about hdparm, and a .bat file containing "C:\hdparm\hdparm -B 254 hda" for 1 hard disk. that .bat has to be opened every time you restart your comp, there is a windows tool to do so.
    srry for my english and the low amount of information

When I have my fan running i can normally keep the temp down to around 42. It does generally seem to stop the freezes and make it more playable but i'd hardly call it a practical solution - It gets really annoying after a while. You could give it a try, its the only thing i've found so far that helps
    Well before I bought this one I had an older laptop that only got ~7 FPS on boss fights and wouldn't run unless I had a fan blowing air into it. I'm hoping this isn't the only fix. Still could use some help!

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 07:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lorx View Post
    its your hard disk/drive, easy to fix... but the new official forums killed my link(it was german).
    some wd-disks park too fast, which is causing mini-frezzes, i had the same problem
    its about hdparm, and a .bat file containing "C:\hdparm\hdparm -B 254 hda" for 1 hard disk. that .bat has to be opened every time you restart your comp, there is a windows tool to do so.
    Are you aware on how to fix it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lorx View Post
    Actually now you mention it i've seen a blue post on offical forums from a while back with a link to some software that sorts your HDD out. I did give it a try but I didnt install it correctly and couldnt be bothered to go hunting for the post again. It could be something to look into.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by J50 View Post
    Well before I bought this one I had an older laptop that only got ~7 FPS on boss fights and wouldn't run unless I had a fan blowing air into it. I'm hoping this isn't the only fix. Still could use some help!

---------- Post added 2010-12-13 at 07:33 PM ----------

Are you aware on how to fix it?
    uhm.. i downloaded hdparm, made that APM_off.bat file in the same folder as hdparm.exe and made it a ... i don't know it in english, in german it's "Aufgabenplanung". then "Aufgabe erstellen"(not the small/easy thing) and put on high privilegues , trigger the APM_off.bat on login.
    i hope i didnt forget anything =D

€: /www (dot) acer-userforum (dot) de/aspire-forum/24179-8942g-ruckler-freezes-und-lags-41 (dot) html#post229572 <- german solution, seems i forgot sth =(
    Last edited by mmocf48a00c69f; 2010-12-13 at 08:01 PM.

Alright. Anybody have a less sketchy way of explaining it/doing it. Sorry it's just hard to understand what you want me to do exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am having this exact same issue as well, the game will Freeze momentarily for a short amount of time, generally 1-3 seconds, then go back to running perfectly fine. Issue does not occur under linux, however...figured it was a HDD issue, changing power settings did not help at all. I'm interested in this HDPARM thing, I'll be waiting for a less sketchy solution as well.

Thanks.

The problem lies with the hard drives that acer uses in these laptops. I had the same problem with my Acer. The solution is easy.

http://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Download that and disable APM. The random freezing will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendork View Post
    The problem lies with the hard drives that acer uses in these laptops. I had the same problem with my Acer. The solution is easy.

http://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Download that and disable APM. The random freezing will stop.
    Worked. Thank you!

Deleted
    When you say disable APM, do you mean change the APM values to 0? or disable APM control completley in the misc tab? Hope it works for me!

I have a similar issue with HD5650, got this program, not sure it helped though, I both set APM to 255 in APM settings and unchecked the APM control option in Misc settings....should I just do one of these instead?

Hopefull this program works. I right clicked it on my toolbar and clicked disable APM but when I later opened the settings it still seemed to be active. Haven't tested it yet. I will post an update tomorrow hopefully.

I have had this problem, the lag hiccup and horrible heat with Starcraft II. My antivirus would have a pop-up in game and minimize the screen. I would then try to maximize the screen and have to wait for about a 1 1/2 to 2 minutes for it to get back to StarCraft II, in the mean time I was staring at a black screen with the mouse cursor on it.

Recently it started to lag me out/ DC from Starcraft II when I was trying to maximize the screen again and recently it has started to slow down in game and lag, then normal lag, then normal til I disconnect. There has been a ton of heat each time. I know this is from my graphics card being used when I play SCII. The ATI Radeon HD5650 with its heat issues is beginning to be a headache.

Hopefully your solution will work for me too. Thanks for the post Nintendork.

Deleted
    I got the same problem, laptop keeps freezing up every now and then for 1-3 seconds, downloaded the quietHDD program and disabled APM in the misc tab.
    Still the problem persists :S
    does anyone know more?