Deleted

Is there any way to prevent auto selection of new targets?

If a mob dies during a rotation a new target is automatically selected. This is causing me huge problems.
    Today in HC deadmines I shot up several barrels (!) yes barrels because of this. I have never had this problem before!

Is this part of the new mechanic that we just have to adapt to? I sincerely hope not!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would also like to know, has become a pain in the ass in heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
    I would also like to know, has become a pain in the ass in heroics.
    Pretty sure there is an option to stop auto attack after switching targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kwekee View Post
    Pretty sure there is an option to stop auto attack after switching targets.
    That isnt the problem, say im mashing Kill Shot or Cobra when a mob is low. If I press it after ti will Auto Target something close by and shot it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Omg yes, I noticed this with Charge on my war, Was tanking, a add got loose, I went to charge it, but it died before I could and I ended up targeting the nearest thing, and charging that.

Would love to turn this off if I could.

I seem to remember there being a way of doing this as a slash command way back in the day, because we were required to do it for the Twin Emperors fight in AQ40 when it was current content. There were tons of non-aggressive mobs there and it was easy to accidentally bring them into combat making the fight even harder.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the command. I'd really like to have that option back myself, too.

Maybe this:

#showtooltip Charge
    /cast [harm,exists] Charge

replace charge with your shot or whatever and give it a go.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Having the same issue, I even tried to contact a GM and ask about.. maybe I just was too dumb to realize how to do that
    Well, as general he suggested to delete "Interface", "WTF" and "Cache" folder, so I made a copy of them and gave it a try.

Having stanadard-UI and resetting all the ingame-settings I was standing in front of a training dummy. Cleared my current target and just pressed/clicked autoshot and instantly the nearest dummy was selected as my target - but not directly attacked.
    As it seems that even with standard-WoW this happens the GM told me that he will forward this issue to some technician so that they will have a look at this and maybe fix it (well I actually don't think so, as playing on a european realm).

Currently being at work I can't test your macro-suggestion at the moment, but I still hope that there's another way to solve this than macro'ing every single ranged-skill I have :/

Klingo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingo View Post
    Having the same issue, I even tried to contact a GM and ask about.. maybe I just was too dumb to realize how to do that
    Well, as general he suggested to delete "Interface", "WTF" and "Cache" folder, so I made a copy of them and gave it a try.

Having stanadard-UI and resetting all the ingame-settings I was standing in front of a training dummy. Cleared my current target and just pressed/clicked autoshot and instantly the nearest dummy was selected as my target - but not directly attacked.
    As it seems that even with standard-WoW this happens the GM told me that he will forward this issue to some technician so that they will have a look at this and maybe fix it (well I actually don't think so, as playing on a european realm).

Currently being at work I can't test your macro-suggestion at the moment, but I still hope that there's another way to solve this than macro'ing every single ranged-skill I have :/

Klingo
    Yes this pisses me really off, when a mob gets close to 0% I barely do any DPS because I am afraid I will shoot something nearby.

you wouldn't believe how many times i've pulled extra groups of mobs with exorcism by accident, whilst trying to kill a mob with it

you smash mob with hammer, go to kill it with exorcism, someone else in your group gets the kill shot, your exorcism auto targets a mob in the next group 30 yards away and bam, INCOMING!!!! edit: judgement does it as well, with it's new 40 yard range....

tab target is just as annoying now, if you have 2 targets stood right in front of you attacking you and try to tab between them with a third target about 40yards away but still in your direct field of vision, it will tab target to the mob 40 yards away rather than to the other mob that is attacking you, but is slightly off centre. i've been having to make sure i face packs of mobs (whilst tanking) away from any other mobs in the area incase i accidentally pull them whilst tabbing through targets. friggin annoying

You could do something like this in a macro. Lets say you're mashing arcane shot, and it's pulling things that aren't in combat:

/stopmacro [target=targettarget,noexists,nomod:shift]
    /cast Arcane Shot

What this will do is prevent you from doing arcane shot if your target's target does not exist (i.e. your target isn't in combat), unless you hold a modifier (I chose shift in this example, use whatever you want). I'm not 100% sure this will always work as intended, but I've been using it on several abilities and it has certainly helped.

This should simply be fixed by blizzard. They obviously changed something in the hotfixes this past week to allow this to happen. We shouldnt have to make macros for each of our skills. Just complain to a GM and im sure it will be hotfixed this week.

haven't really had this issues unintentionally, the only time i seem to auto attack is when i am spamming the keys to get it to start attacking another mob in the group. i kinda consider it a good thing since now i don't have to find the target and click or even tab and hope it targets the right one (pretty much the same as now only no need to tab)

---------- Post added 2010-12-15 at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arkwhelm View Post
    This should simply be fixed by blizzard. They obviously changed something in the hotfixes this past week to allow this to happen. We shouldnt have to make macros for each of our skills. Just complain to a GM and im sure it will be hotfixed this week.

you didn't macro all your shots when you were ArP - MM?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkwhelm View Post
    It's been happening for something like a year or more as a hunter... If something dies and you then hit steady shot a split second after you will auto target something within 40 yards and shoot it. It's not as much of a problem for other ranged classes because at least they have a cast time where they can cancel.... auto shot fires immediately.

i have same problem and its really annoying especaily with our 40 yard range
    this have nothing to do with stop auto attack when u switch target or any macro its just something new and stupid that have to be fixed before i start raiding !

Yes! I have an open ticket about this at the moment. It's incredibly embarrassing in a heroic (especially DM for some reason) because the 'huntard' label comes out. I'm glad to know I'm not imagining things. We need this fixed immediately.

Same here, pulled 2 or 3 times extra packs, so now i very careful when mobs hp is low. It started when 4.0.1 came, if i corect in 3.x.x was more options about thous auto target, auto attack.