15+ Year Old Account

I want to use Ubuntu but I'm not certain if I can.

So I was building a computer that I intended to install Ubuntu on. As I ordered the parts a friend told me that not all hardware manufacturers supply Linux drivers for their hardware. This made me sway from the OS as I had already ordered the parts and I thought it would all work out either way. As I understand it, it's more about choosing hardware suitable for ubuntu rather than just picking a solid computer together and then just get all the necessary drivers.

So my questions are:

What hardware manufacturers have linux drivers availiable for certain?

and

Which ones should you avoid when choosing?

ATI/AMD has weak support for Linux gaming, Nvidia cards work much better right now.

Basically your biggest problems come from scanners, printers and weird USB devices (such as wireless network adapters and tv-tuners). Also special gaming controllers (pads, wheels, multibutton mice and gaming keyboards) might stay dead in linux. Just google all your external devices for linux drivers before going for it. If you can find confirmation of device existing, you have 99% of chance to get it working without too much hassle. All mainstream stuff such as on-board audio, lan and video cards from last year will work in Ubuntu right out of the box.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently using an Intel i5 cpu, an ati hd5650 gpu, a logitech g5 and a saitek eclipse 2. Are any of those no-nos right off the bat?

You'll get bad game performance because it's ATI videocard, but can't say anything right from the top of my head regarding the mouse/keyboard. As I said before, just google for those ("logitech g5 linux support") and see if you find any confirmation one way or another.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

old thread, but came across this while searching

for mouse support I use btnx. it has an easy to use GUI, very straight forward. the keyboard should be just fine.

AMD drivers are indeed lack-luster. find a stable version that is playable (regardless of age) and stick with it until you get an 'itch' to try a new one because of some OMGAWESOME new feature that you just have to see.

spreading lore of by-gone days. please come back when you have something useful. Linux driver support is quite well these days.

I'm sorry no one felt it important to enough to bother writing drivers for your old or otherwise lack-luster hardware.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixxus View Post
    Linux driver support is quite well these days.
    Its better, but to say Linux has good driver support is still lying. Its manageable at times, but still needs a lot of improvement.

You still cannot be certain that a laptop will have working wireless even months after the wi-fi cards release, you still can't fully rely on the NVIDIA drivers to always work correctly, you still run into struggles from time to time with the AMD drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Its better, but to say Linux has good driver support is still lying. Its manageable at times, but still needs a lot of improvement.
    What?

Linux driver support is better that windows or mac by far.

Running ubuntu with an ati 5850 and amd x6, drivers are fine, performance is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    That toxicity is normal in WoW. Even classic. And it comes from this what so called elitism, spreading everywhere. Average player say that classic is piss easy and every aspect can be done with minimal effort. But right after that, the same player ignites with rage when someone wants to apply that minimal effort

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixxus View Post
    I'm sorry no one felt it important to enough to bother writing drivers for your old or otherwise lack-luster hardware.
    Oh dear. Its with old hardware that Linux excels, because through time someone will have written a driver for it. New hardware - thats where problems arise because many companies don't provide Linux drivers immediately, or at all, and you have to wait for a community written one. Windows commonly runs into hardware problems with old stuff, correct - just look at the damn Printer and Scanner mess from XP to Vista from example. You can get some working by hijacking drivers for other similar devices; but many are left completely in the dark.

The open-source community drivers take time because the hardware has to effectively be reverse enginered to work out its functionality. Then you have to naturally go through the bugtesting process as well. With the very thin amount of users doing this, it takes a fair bit of time. Sometimes just a few weeks, but months isn't exactly uncommon - even for popular (cheap or expensive) hardware.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-01-20 at 07:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    What?

Running ubuntu with an ati 5850 and amd x6, drivers are fine, performance is fine.
    My computer when I install Ubuntu and boots up into 800x600 and can't see my tablet, mouse, printer and second monitor wants to have a word with you.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Use a distro that's not horrible. I suggest Debian. If you're resource-restricted, I suggest Crunchbang Linux.

I'd like to point out that Linux had USB3 support before USB3 hardware actually existed. That's how good driver support generally is.
    The only problem is with complicated hardware where the low-level coding is closed-source, so people can't just go ahead and make good drivers for them, example: GPUs.

Closed-source nvidia drivers: Meh.
    Open-source nvidia drivers: Hah, no.
    Closed-source AMD drivers: Hah, no.
    Open-source AMD drivers: Hah, no.

And yes, I did join just to post that.

Deleted

Wink

http://www.linux-drivers.org/

I was going to rant here about the widespread nature of Windows and how you shouldn't try to run anything else unless you have a specific reason (like having to manage complex compiler chains for multiple programming languages or cross compiling for arcane setups). But I'm not going to do that, instead I'm going to say something you might have run into before: read the documentation. Any piece of hardware you have your eye on - just check it out online. Almost all Linux / BSD / Unix distributions have bugtrackers for the entire userland as well as the kernel. Go through it and see if your hardware raises a flag. Also, check the mailing lists.

I have yet to run a Debian-based operating system that didn't support a piece of widely distributed internal hardware. However, graphics drivers are not something you want to skim over. Take your time to configure, set up and understand the configuration files. So that when errors come up you at least have an idea of where to look and find solutions. I much prefer source-based operating systems but then I don't game on anything but Windows to avoid the headache that comes with every patch.

My recommendation for gaming: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/ - one time investment with definite pay off if you intend on making Ubuntu your main OS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    What?

Hopefully you don't try playing WoW in linux on that system. AMD's OpenGL support is horrific and usually cuts framerate in half compared to DirectX. Other than AMD's OpenGL support, I've never had a complaint about linux. I dual boot Xubuntu (Ubuntu using Xfce instead of Gnome) with Windows 7, and my webserver runs Debian. I like the platform, but some of the quirks keep it from being a primary desktop OS for me.

I use Gentoo for my router, but that's about it right now. All my other computers do things in windows where WINE won't cut it (i've tried)
    Although i've used it as my primary OS on some previous desktops/laptops.

I use Ubuntu 11.04, and a duel core AMD3. I've never had any problems with it. Runs WoW better then my old windows did actually. I use plain old logitech mouse and keyboard, and linksys wireless external card. The ONLY problem I've had with Ubuntu, is Ventrilo. every time someone keys their mic, my system crashes. lol. It really sucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haveumetted View Post
    I use Ubuntu 11.04, and a duel core AMD3. I've never had any problems with it. Runs WoW better then my old windows did actually. I use plain old logitech mouse and keyboard, and linksys wireless external card. The ONLY problem I've had with Ubuntu, is Ventrilo. every time someone keys their mic, my system crashes. lol. It really sucks.
    G-G-G-G-G-G-G-GRAVE DIGGER

This is the second time the thread got dug up, seriously, it's a 2010 thread, just let it rest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haveumetted View Post
    Mod Warning: Please check the postdates. The last post here was in January. Don't necro old posts. Locking it now.