Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mages: Stop rolling on Spirit gear

I hate to complain about this, but...

Once more, I take a stab at H SFK to get my Heroic bracers, and when they finally drop, a Mage rolls need on them, claiming it's for "regen". I tell him that you don't regen much mana in combat as a Mage, but he says that he does, and that "Ask any mage, they'll tell you Spirit is good for mages regen", and refuses to give the bracers back. He was wearing True Archaeologist's Bracers.

This isn't the first time, though. Three times before this, I've had Mages Need on Spirit gear and win it, claiming that they can reforge the spirit. Yeah, you can, but you'll still have that wasted Spirit there, as well as pissing off a Priest for rolling on their gear that wasn't meant for you.

We need to inform all the idiots out there that you don't roll on Spirit gear unless the Priest doesn't need it. Even then you shouldn't be rolling on it, unless it's a big upgrade. (IE, going from a green to a 346) Yeah, I know, you're all going to point at me and scream "LOOT WHORE", but it gets really annoying running a Heroic day after day and when the item you want finally drops, someone steals it from you. You're also going to say "Get a guild group". I would, but everyone else seems to just want to run randoms for points, while I just need a couple specific instances to finish off my Heroic gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

15+ Year Old Account
    Run with guildies/friends...

Edit: Get better guildies/friends...

While I won't say "get a guild group" unfortunatly this is one of the pitfall of pugging; Not everyone shares the same sense of fairness. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing that mages do or don't need spirit as I honestly have no idea but situations like this are common place in pugs and as such should be accepted, as crappy as it is when they do.

don't heal/rez them
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Priests will receive Blood Strike and the ability to wield two handed swords

Mage here <<<

I don't mind it so much in regular instances(No I don't roll on spirit, I hit the pass button everytime), as cloth with spirit drops roughly 10 to 1 compared to non spirit cloth items(screwed up drop rates and a half) but as for heroics, and that mages claim that he needed it for regen...well he's an idiot. We don't need spirit for any reason at all anymore. Not a single piece of bis gear will ever have spirit on it. That mage clearly needs to L2mage.

All I can say is:
    Healers stop rolling on non-spirit gear
    Tanks stop rolling on healing/dps gear
    etc
    etc
    This wont end, get use to it.

Ok a little history lesson! Mages in Vanilla were able to use evocation to restore mana based on the amount of spirit they had. This led to the mages having both dps sets and a regen set. This was true until late BC and early LK when evocation was changed from being spirit based to percent of mana pool based. Later on in LK Molten Armor was used as one of the mages core abilities converting spirit into crit. Now once again Blizzard changed it so that mages DO NOT NEED spirit.

It's a slippery roller coaster ride with spirit and mages. If the guy is ignorant of the expansion changes, i dont blame him. He might be taking things to DE or sell, you know being a generic greedy bastard.

TL;DR: Don't pug, mages and spirit is retarded, He might be a ninja

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you, but you need to get used to it. As far as I know, mages and locks don't have spirit = hit talents, so as far as I'm concerned, most, if not all spirit gear should go to the priest.

In the case of spriests, boomkins, and ele shamans, however, spirit gear is fair game as long as they're below the hit cap..

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from a mage. I agree. Rolling need on a 346 from a 333 on a piece of spirit gear is a little ridiculous.

With reforging, you may very well see a lot more of this sort of thing however, sadly.

Spirit is not completely useless for mages, but it is certainly at the VERY bottom of stat priorities (besides melee of course) since: (description from in game) "Increases mana regeneration by X per 5 seconds while NOT casting".

Any mage who claims they need spirit for regen is a... (insert word to get me banned here).

If they're not casting, they can make themselves some cake.

Quote Originally Posted by fathertom View Post
    All I can say is:
    etc
    etc
    Dude whot you just say is so retarded that i em realy sory for you.... he say MAGES and spirit CAN YOU UNDERSTAND that much ?? whot this have to do with tank rolin on dps gear ar you gona heal as your mage or whot ??

If your running with a guild, I agree, its in poor taste to roll on spirit gear over a class that can make better use of it.

In a pug, especially at this point in the game where every upgrade counts, if they can physically roll need on the item its fair game.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by fathertom View Post
    All I can say is:
    etc
    etc
    Pretty much this.

As a mage, all the priests I've seen have rolled on the cloth dps gear as well (because it has int and crit, even if it has hit). So if they can get fair rolls at all of what would be my (or a warlock's) gear, then we should get a roll at their gear. In the same way priests get use out of the crit gear, we can get a little use out of spirit. Once they stop rolling on my gear, I won't roll on theirs. It's a very simple tradeoff.
    "Sociopaths are very good at figuring out ways to fuck people over without actually breaking any rules. One might even argue that it's the only thing they're really any good at. They certainly aren't very good at being people."

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    Dude whot you just say is so retarded that i em realy sory for you.... he say MAGES and spirit CAN YOU UNDERSTAND that much ?? whot this have to do with tank rolin on dps gear ar you gona heal as your mage or whot ??
    Are you serious? First of all, stop typing like you suffered a massive blow to the head. Second, the point of his post is that there's always going to be someone complaining about someone else rolling on "their" gear.

As a warlock, I promise to stop rolling on spirit gear if Priest's promise to stop rolling on stuff without it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkfremin View Post
    As a mage, all the priests I've seen have rolled on the cloth dps gear as well (because it has int and crit, even if it has hit).
    Well then, those Priests are retarded, just like this mage. You pretty much HAVE to be wearing almost full Spirit gear(all spirit, maybe 3 or 4 non-spirit) as a Shadow Priest to be hitcapped (for raids) and Healing priests who use non-Spirit gear will have mana issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    I had to read this about three or four times before I actually understood it. Your grammar is terrible. If English is not your first language, I might be able to forgive you. If it is (which I think it is) you seriously need to look into this.

In reply: that's the point. Healers roll on non-spirit, DPS gear. Tanks roll on healing/dps gear depending on what class. Mages and locks roll on healing gear. This person is saying that they should all stop, including the mages rolling on healing cloth, but at the same time they acknowledge that nobody will stop rolling on shit that their class or spec should not be using. Can you understand that much? You're trying to argue with someone that looks to be on the same side of the argument as you?

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    I had to read this about three or four times before I actually understood it. Your grammar is terrible. If English is not your first language, I might be able to forgive you. If it is (which I think it is) you seriously need to look into this.

In reply: that's the point. Healers roll on non-spirit, DPS gear. Tanks roll on healing/dps gear depending on what class. Mages and locks roll on healing gear. This person is saying that they should all stop, including the mages rolling on healing cloth, but at the same time they acknowledge that nobody will stop rolling on shit that their class or spec should not be using. Can you understand that much? You're trying to argue with someone that looks to be on the same side of the argument as you?
    hooked on phonics lmao

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda agree with the lock. A priest will feel like it's their right to roll on int gear without spirit, but will flip their shit if I roll on int gear with spirit. Why should they be able to double dip? If I can roll need, and I need it, and I'm still gearing up, I will. It's not like I insta win it. I'm still rolling. Better rng next time. Don't blame the player, blame poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher View Post
    Mage here <<<

I don't mind it so much in regular instances(No I don't roll on spirit, I hit the pass button everytime), as cloth with spirit drops roughly 10 to 1 compared to non spirit cloth items(screwed up drop rates and a half) but as for heroics, and that mages claim that he needed it for regen...well he's an idiot. We don't need spirit for any reason at all anymore. Not a single piece of bis gear will ever have spirit on it. That mage clearly needs to L2mage.
    ^ Mage here as well. Also play a pally healer. Spirit is strictly a healer stat. No mage should ever roll on a piece of gear with spirit if the healer needs it.

"Moon is sheep. Let it be written." -Bashiok

Mages should be able to roll on and wear paladin healing plate: Discuss