Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    No what hes getting at is that in this xpac engineers need alot of violent air, ALOT but the system for harvesting the required air is very inefficiant at obtaining the air and people are spamming them as individual units for 50-100g each blizz added the gizmo that supposedly boosts engineers harvest rate but it doesnt even fit in engineers bags and doesnt boost the rate to anything even remotely economical, in short they need to go back to the system like the crystalised elements where thry were redily avalible through engineer specific devices and could be farmed sepratly without mining

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeypuncher View Post
    ...it's still expensive to lvl, but well worth it in the end
    That's debatable after all the changes mentioned above.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

I mean loot-a-rang, barbecues which is not even the best food available
    lol...

I love the whine. Did you know, Barbeques are traded for the new engineering socketable gems which are used in that helm you are trying so hard to create?

I had realm first engineering on day one and I can definitely tell you engineering is not hard to level at all. People posting about 800 obsidium...blah blah you aren't doing it right then. Either craft items that give you five skillups at a time, OR craft things you actually want and take your time. So what if it takes a while, you will get it eventually. Anyone who takes engineering must understand it is not a gold making profession, it never has been. It is for personal use.

I use it for bear tanking and the shield generator is friggin' awesome. And BBQ's are well received in heroics when no one has the new "fish feasts" yet.

Take pride in what you get out of the profession or drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catacrusader View Post
    It cost me roughly 200g to max engi because I ran around Tol Barad farming rich elementium and pyrite nodes. There was a rough patch with obsidium (which is around 400g/stack on my server) but elementium is in such abundance (down to 100g/stack on my server). Also I crafted the volatile thunderstick gun and sold two of them for 2k. Victory?

I will admit there was a sort of wall concerning volatile earth, I couldn't seem to farm enough of it (and that is where the 200g comes into play).

Just because you farmed your own mats, doesn't mean it didn't cost you.

*You lost time
    *You lost the gold that you would've made if you would've sold the ores/bars.

Anyway the biggest bump in the road for me is hardened elementium bars. So now I'm using an alt to lvl mining to get the volatile earths, the elementium is affordable so that I can get my helm. Pity he's only 80 with a 150% mount.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

I can rightfully say, that leveling engineering SUCKS. Ive been mining on my Warrior, and its ridiculous trying to farm 600+ bars of elementium with 20 other people (not to mention Pally's with crusader + 310% + 10% guild mount speed). Its extremely frustrating, especially since you also need Volatile Earth's that never seem to drop and sell for 70g+ each.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    lvling engi cost me 2k gold max what are you talking about
    lolololol anyone told to this "genius" that we are talking about 450-525 eng, not 0-75 lolololol

Quote Originally Posted by Eatfreshsub View Post
    I can rightfully say, that leveling engineering SUCKS. Ive been mining on my Warrior, and its ridiculous trying to farm 600+ bars of elementium with 20 other people (not to mention Pally's with crusader + 310% + 10% guild mount speed). Its extremely frustrating, especially since you also need Volatile Earth's that never seem to drop and sell for 70g+ each.
    Guild mount and crusader don't stack.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Anyway the biggest bump in the road for me is hardened elementium bars. So now I'm using an alt to lvl mining to get the volatile earths, the elementium is affordable so that I can get my helm. Pity he's only 80 with a 150% mount.
    personally i didnt need those bars until i reached 520, the final 5 points you basicly need it unless you want to spend alot of mats on green recipes. i was lucky a friend of mine needed those AP proc scopes so i didnt had to spend gold for the final skill ups.

overal this is my opinion but engineering is far easier to lvl when comparing it to previous expansions. sure the mats are costly atm but thats what it always has been at start of expansions.

Looking at this guide it doesn't seem to bad.

http://www.tarouwowguides.com/index....leveling_guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Yeah it cost me around 15k to get my Engi up, no cheap way to get it done until then new metal comes down in price.

As far back as I can remember it's always cost an eye-watering amount to level it to max with the end result being a semi-useful handful of toys at the end.

It's the premium you pay for all the cool stuff you can't get from any other profession, the value of which is subjective.

Don't think we're done yet, if history holds true Blizz will add more cool toys before we're done with cata, I'm interested to see what they come up with next.

Quote Originally Posted by frownface2000 View Post
    engineering has always been one of the more obnoxious professions to level and has almost always been the LEAST profitable "producing" profession.
    lol? You could make hundreds of thousands with engineering by using the mote extractor and farmed clouds in sholazar basin.

Re engineering from 450 to 525: I was shocked how easy it was to lvl it. I spent 50 gold for 2 gems. Farmed the other mats, and got a ton of extra xp from mining too. I am now in the process of helping a couple of other guildies who dont have mining lvling their engineering.

Sorry but unless you are in a special server where half the population are bot farmers i dont see how that is possible, when the average stack of Elementium goes for over 400 gold
    half may be bots. But the other half are still legit players farming. So its still possible to farm the mats and max engineering.

Also you can report the ones botting. Let blizzard check them out. And, if indeed they are bots? Blizzard will ban them for use of hacks.

From 450-525? Doubt it
    I don't. I spent far less than he did and I lvled my engineering to 525. Completely doable. Just take some time and farm the mats yourself.

lolololol anyone told to this "genius" that we are talking about 450-525 eng, not 0-75 lolololol
    you ever heard of farming the mats you need to lvl it up? I thought lvling engineering was amazingly easy and cheap. Much easier than in previous expansions since some of the items you got +5 to engineering with some of the stuff you made.
    Last edited by Catdancing; 2010-12-14 at 01:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by frownface2000 View Post
    Also, engineering is much less "useful" in the current patch than it has been in the past, so I really wouldn't spend yourself into poverty to level it. It just isn't worth it right now.
    You can't possibly mean that. It is probably the most useful profession in both pve and pvp. It offers bonuses on a par with everything else + nitro boosts, jeeves, personal mailbox, 2 teleporters in a world where travelling has become a pain, and a kick ass epic helm to help you start raiding.

Ive made back about 80% of the gold I spent on mats for engineering, almost everything you make that you need to level it up sells very well on the AH. There are far worse professions and if you can farm the mats yourself = profit.

i leveled it pretty quickly while i was out and farming ore. the only thing about engineering is that it is lacks utility for others and not too many people will come to you for services. you may sell the gun/bow some scopes every now and then but its not like the other professions JC, enchanting, etc where there are people always hounding you for something. scribes and BS get more love. its an improvement from prior to cata but its still not too useful. its a fun(ny) profession but overall not a lot of utility. the helm with cogs is nice but i am sure you will get a drop that is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hate to break it to you, but your servs economy must be horrid to have Elementium at 400+ a stack. And besides, the Eng helm you make at 525 is better than t11, so it is a worthwhile effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancing View Post
    I don't. I spent far less than he did and I lvled my engineering to 525. Completely doable. Just take some time and farm the mats yourself.
    As has been stated already, just because you farmed the mats yourself doesn't mean it didn't cost you anything. You spent time farming those mats and those mats would have sold for many gold.