Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Three Reasons Archaeology is Frustrating

So I started levelling archaeology a few days ago and WOW is it a pain in the ass to level, but rather than QQ about it because I am obviously going to grind it out despite it being properly menial and frustrating, I decided I would share the 3 most annoying points with you guys to see if you agree, or just want to rage about it here

1. You survey, it's red and points one way. You go that way, you survey, it's red and pointing ALMOST EXACTLY BACK THE WAY YOU JUST CAME. You go back, you survey, now it's pointing off to the side and is still red... you get the picture

2. You finally get a green survey! Walk a few yards, survey again, another green survey! Walk a bit more, survey, another green survey. You don't want to walk too far because it'll just point you back, so you keep creeping forward, green survey after green survey... when you finally DO find it, it was right next to the survey you planted BEFORE the one that uncovered it, like literally on top of, but apparently not close enough ^^

3. Night Elves were literally everywhere according to the Archaeology: Night Elf Edition I apparently have installed instead of the standard

Arrrrrrrggghh!!!! Why does the pain make we want to do it more?!!??

1. The colors and directions are approximate, right down until you get to green. If you're going from red one way, to red the opposite, you're going too far. Don't go that far. It also helps if you try and get a second reading at a different angle before diving straight in.

2. Survey reveals artifacts surrounding you in a 5 yard (or interactable) radius. Walk 10 yards, survey. Walk 10 yards, survey. Stop walking 5-8 yards.

3. Leave Kalimdor.
    Last edited by Emaluri; 2010-12-15 at 01:56 AM.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri (Blue Tracker)
    What you're experiencing is world PvP on a PvP realm. I realize that it's not for everyone, but it's not something that we plan to adjust. The harsh reality is that life on a PvP realm can be difficult, and if you aren't prepared for the rigors of playing on such a realm, then it's probably in your best interest to transfer to a normal realm, or, if you cannot afford that, then consider creating a new character on a normal realm.
    Grim Campfire

Deleted
    Well about 3 - they actually were almost everywhere back in the days.

Deleted
    It seems the distance from red->yellow->green is defined by the size of the archaeology zone you are in, not a fixed radius.

If you are in a big zone then red means further, small zone = red not so far.

Deleted
    Pain makes you STRONG!

Seriously though, No. 1 is annoying me slightly too. I just do 20/30 yard jumps in a random direction now to see if te first red was right or not ^^

For No.2, when you get a green, mark in your mind the line it makes, run 10 yards left/right, and see where it intersects. Trust me, it helps more than you'd think. I too know the woe of believing that damned green light...

And don't talk to me about night elves... having only 3 digsites in the entire eastern Kingdoms made me grrrr...

10+ Year Old Account
    i personaly find it quite fun, dont ask why

Once you get a yellow or green survey, go in a different direction than it points (in the same general area), and lay down another, they both point to the same spot so you can triangulate the position. I got artifacts on my 2nd survey usually. Also, each survey has an 8 year radius, don't pack them too close.

I think it's the most annoying and tedious profession. Ugh, I want to get to 525 but it's such a bitch

i think if you find surveying hard or frustrating you're either mentally challenged or somehow your surveying is broken.

how i do it is. dig, run in the direction it points until cd is up, dig, repeat. when it gets to green, i just creep forward a few yard, rather than a full run. i'm at 155 with no issues.

The annoying thing is you keep getting the same grey shit projects. I've done millions of dwarf and night elves now prolly enough for 5-6 times 1 to 525 and still no trinket or staff uncovered.

Only frustrating digsite is the one in Vashj'ir because it has multiple layers and the surveys don't indicate up/down. They really need to fix that.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

15+ Year Old Account
    you are not made for it then, its not that bad and its not mandatory if you dont like it.

At least its not like real archaeology or you would kill yourself :/ thats a pain and thats very frustrating.

Archaeology is plain shit, its a complete joke of a profession. For a profession which sends you around the world, you'd think they made it at least a little bit fun.

There should be a mini game involved where you have to drill underground and guide your drill to the artefact or something.

In its current implementation, it feels completely half-assed and boring.

archeology sucks cuz i made x5 Uinlaid ivory comb in a row while farming for the night elf trinket at 525 skill

Personally I run and stop when the CD on Survey is over and do it again, yeah I've had 1 or 2 greens point back the way I ran, but overall it works.

This is gonna be a noob question but "there's green arrows?" I've only seen red arrows 4 or 5 times per dig then get some troll thing in STV.
    Beauty now spawns with only two pups in Heroic difficulty. Not to worry though, the missing pup has been adopted by a wonderful, if not insane family.

I'm glad that Blizzard cares about the little things...

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine are 3. Travel time
    2. Pointing me into walls and underwater
    and the most annoying, Leveling it up, trying to get zin'rhok and i need to get to 450 first, im at 170 and it takes a loooong time to level,

I'm getting frustrated too because it does feel like a grind but I've got the surveying down now and I'm finally in the middle of my first rare artifact (little bone raptor pet) so I'm hopeful it won't feel so bad after all this

The 5 second cooldown on the survey skill is also very annoying.

I didn't think it was possible to create a profession that is even less fun than fishing but somehow they did it. They must have tried really hard to create the most boring and tedious minigame ever. I have never been that bored and annoyed in a game before and that's coming from someone who did the "Collect Aether" thing in Aion. Scanning planets in Mass Effect 2 is fucking awesome compared to this.
    Last edited by Doylez; 2010-12-15 at 02:13 AM.

Red: Mount up and fly untill cd is ready, go dig.
    Yellow: Ghost Wolf and run untill cd is ready, go dig.
    Green: Run untill cd is ready, go dig.

I'll do it like this. What I find fitting me the most.

Also. 250 skills and I got 2 rare completed (NE Mirror and NE green spotlight thing). And I'm working on 3 rare also (Fossil pet, Dwarf Chalice and NE Wind Chimes).

I how it works. It's a proffesion where you feel as you get something out of it without being max lvl and spend lots of gold on it. You can be 150 or 450 and still get the same reward, while it takes the same amount of time to get the reward.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !