Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Unholy Rotation Question....

Ive been reading a lot of unholy DK stuff for cata tonight to try and make sure im 100%, raided WOTLK 25m Kingslayer etc, and this rotation doesnt make sense on one thing...

Diseases >> dark transformation >> festering strike >> scourge strike >> death coil >> death and decay

sure you start out with outbreak, but why would dark transformation be next, you cant even cast it at that point, or is it just saying use it when its up pretty much, which is pretty obvious

Thats a priority rotation.
    1st Priority: Diseases on the target.
    2nd Priority: Have DT active on your ghoul.
    3rd Priority: Festering Strike (ONLY if you have 1 blood,1frost rune, otherwise....)
    4th Priority: Scourge Strike. Use this if you have death runes/unholy runes.
    5th Priority: Death Coil
    6th Priority: Have DnD active. I'm actually not too sure if it's a DPS gain to use this on single target, but if there is anything more than that, it definitely is.

Things to keep in mind: Death Coil should be your number 3 priority if casting FS or SS will push you over 100 max power.

Quote Originally Posted by Grammar View Post
    Thats a priority rotation.
    1st Priority: Diseases on the target.
    2nd Priority: Have DT active on your ghoul.
    3rd Priority: Make Death Runes
    4th Priority: Scourge Strike. Use this if you have death runes/unholy runes.
    5th Priority: Death Coil
    6th Priority: Have DnD active. I'm actually not too sure if it's a DPS gain to use this on single target, but if there is anything more than that, it definitely is.

Things to keep in mind: Death Coil should be your number 3 priority if casting FS or SS will push you over 100 max power.
    Fix'd that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Herald View Post
    Fix'd that for you.
    Festering strike makes death runes, meaning you fixed nothing. More specifically he stated when to fester strike so your death runes are also not wasted.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    6th Priority: Have DnD active. I'm actually not too sure if it's a DPS gain to use this on single target, but if there is
    I hear because of a hidden 11th tick it's a dps increase over Scourge Strike
    I'm having trouble getting used to using it in a rotation

Also if sudden doom procs, DC should jump to "use this asap" incase it procs whilst procced and overwrites the previous one (could of worded this better I think)

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Festering strike makes death runes, meaning you fixed nothing. More specifically he stated when to fester strike so your death runes are also not wasted.
    I said the same thing in less words and in a more coherent and easily understood manner. I improved it and therefore fix'd it.

Anyone can say anything, how you say it is what matters; even on the interwebz.

Fix'd that for you.
    You annoy me. You fixed nothing. Your "fix" did nothing but be vague. Pestilence makes death runes too, should I prioritize that over ss because it generates death runes?

Crawl back under your bridge, you smelly, degenerate troll.

Which is why you're wrong. I'll admit that my post could have been worded better, but your post was over simplified- to the point of being incorrect.
    Last edited by Grammar; 2010-12-15 at 04:43 AM.

I said the same thing in less words and in a more coherent and easily understood manner. I improved it and therefore fix'd it.

More easily understood manner? Actually if you look at what you said people can mistake you and think blood strike, people could also mistake you for overwriting death runes since they become death runes when those runes activate next, you can use the death runes on festering strike and end up just wasting them.

So no you did not fix anything you caused a confusion.

More easily understood manner? Actually if you look at what you said people can mistake you and think blood strike, people could also mistake you for overwriting death runes since they become death runes when those runes activate next, you can use the death runes on festering strike and end up just wasting them.

So no you did not fix anything you caused a confusion.
    So you're arguing that people could not read tooltips and make a mistake? That seems to be completely independent from anything I told them.

Also, it's foolish to assume that your runes will never get funky because of a development in an encounter. With three different methods offered to create Death Runes, the best advice is "create Death Runes". From there, the player can figure out which method best suits the situation.
    Last edited by Herald; 2010-12-15 at 04:45 AM.

So you're arguing that people could not read tooltips and make a mistake? That seems to be completely independent from anything I told them.
    Yes I am arguing that people can make mistakes that is why you should be more specific. 2nd poster specified what you should do with death runes, you just said make death runes which can mean pestilence or blood strike or overwriting death runes with more festering strike.

Once again you fixed nothing, are providing nothing for the OP and you are just causing confusion to others.

I'm sorry, I don't understand those sentences.

Are you saying it's not your fault if people misinterpret what you say?

Also, it's foolish to assume that your runes will never get funky because of a development in an encounter. With three different methods offered to create Death Runes, the best advice is "create Death Runes". From there, the player can figure out which method best suits the situation.

Creating one specific solution when a player has access to three will lock them in a rut and ultimately hurt their gameplay.

Reaping doesn't say that only Festering Strike can make Death Runes. It says that Festering Strike, Blood Strike and Pestilence can make Death Runes. Don't pigeon hole people into using only one of them 100% of the time.

Creating one specific solution when a player has access to three will lock them in a rut and ultimately hurt their gameplay.

Reaping doesn't say that only Festering Strike can make Death Runes. It says that Festering Strike, Blood Strike and Pestilence can make Death Runes. Don't pigeon hole people into using only one of them 100% of the time.
    You are not seeing my point so ill say it again.

Be more specific

When you say make death runes, that causes confusion for single target and aoe. That is fine if you are trying to make a point about the ideal situation but new people or others that misread will be confused by the statement "make death runes". Also OP is talking about single target (obviously). You're not contributing anything by not being specific and beating around the bush "hoping" people will come along and get it. We are not you don't expect that.

Yes, you do pigeonhole it, because if you use bloodstrike/pesitlence, you are left with a wasted frost rune. I can't think of/ havent encountered a single scenario in which I did not have a blood and frost rune come off of cooldown nearly simultaneously. (within 2 gcd's of one another)

EDIT: And even if that situation were to arise, blood tap is there to correct your mistakes once a minute, which is more than you need tbh.

You are not seeing my point so ill say it again.

Be more specific

When you say make death runes, that causes confusion for single target and aoe. That is fine if you are trying to make a point about the ideal situation but new people or others that misread will be confused by the statement "make death runes". Also OP is talking about single target (obviously). You're not contributing anything by not being specific and beating around the bush "hoping" people will come along and get it. We are not you don't expect that.
    I saw your point; it was wrong.

The priority is not to use Festering Strike, the priority is to create Death Runes.

You don't see a priority of "use five Death Coils" listed ahead of Dark Transformation do you? No. That's because the Death Coils are just a means to activate Dark Transformation.

By the same token, the 3rd priority is to create Death Runes and Festering Strike is just a means to get them. Understand now?

I saw your point; it was wrong.

The priority is not to use Festering Strike, the priority is to create Death Runes.

You don't see a priority of "use five Death Coils" listed ahead of Dark Transformation do you? No. That's because the Death Coils are just a means to activate Dark Transformation.

By the same token, the 3rd priority is to create Death Runes and Festering Strike is just a means to get them. Understand now?
    Thats because you need 5 deathcoils to activate dark transformation, you can't beforehand. And how is my point wrong? My points is you are not being specific enough and people can mistake you so be more specific. So no you are not seeing my point still.

When people are looking at single target rotation and you say: "make death runes" people go, when? with what? blood strike? festering strike? People can also overwrite death runes so you should also specify when. As stated before if you use blood strike or pestilence you are leftover with a frost rune.

People get confused by broad explanations. So don't beat around the bush.
    Last edited by zito; 2010-12-15 at 05:02 AM.

Thats because you need 5 deathcoils to activate dark transformation, you can't beforehand. And how is my point wrong? My points is you are not being specific enough and people can mistake you so be more specific. So no you are not seeing my point still.

When people are looking at single target rotation and you say: "make death runes" people go, when? with what? blood strike? festering strike? People can also overwrite death runes so you should also specify when. As stated before if you use blood strike or pestilence you are leftover with a frost rune.

People get confused by broad explanations. So don't beat around the bush.
    Stop saying I don't see your point. I see it loud and clear and it's still wrong.

A broad explanation would be "Use Scourge Strike as much as possible".

Unlike you, I believe people take the time to read their tooltips if they're truely concerned about maximizing their DPS. Not everyone is retarded, stop assuming they need to be spoonfed what to do.

Stop saying I don't see your point. I see it loud and clear and it's still wrong.

Unlike you, I believe people take the time to read their tooltips if they're truely concerned about maximizing their DPS. Not everyone is retarded, stop assuming they need to be spoonfed what to do.
    A: I hear Ad Hominem wins arguments.
    B: Your correction did nothing. It was more vague, and provides a margin of misinterpretation. Where is the benefit in making an explanation less precise?

A: I hear Ad Hominem wins arguments.
    B: Your correction did nothing. It was more vague, and provides a margin of misinterpretation. Where is the benefit in making an explanation less precise?
    I hear referencing an "Ad Hominem argument" only works if you do it correctly.

My fix was not more vague, it was more to the point. When Reaping reads that only Festering Strike can create Death Runes, then your original wording will be right.

Deleted

Yes it would, but then again so is saying "Make Death Runes". As you have pointed out there are a number of ways to create death runes so simply stating that's what you should be doing is quite a broad explanation. And while I find the back and forth between you and Zito to be somewhat pointless as you're both repeating the same points over and over again I have to admit that Zito's point does have more weight to it. People coming here asking about priority/rotations are looking for specifics, they're not after broad strokes about what they should do. They want to know which attacks to use when, not that they should just use something that creates a death rune with no further explanation.

I don't think stating that you should be using FeS to create death runes if you're in a single target fight, and BB or Pest to create them if you're in an AoE fight is spoonfeeding people. Surely providing a priority in the first place is far more 'spoonfeeding' than differentiating which attacks are best suited in single target and AoE fights.

My fix was not more vague, it was more to the point. When Reaping reads that only Festering Strike can create Death Runes, then your original wording will be right.
    Given that it seems clear both the OP and Grammar were referencing a single target priority rotation then your fix wasn't more to the point and was more vague. To the point in a single target priority is you use FeS to create your death runes, no exceptions.
    Last edited by mmoc323478b783; 2010-12-15 at 05:16 AM.