Deleted

best spec in your opinion?

howdy all!

so ive been wondering, which spec does hunters out there feel is the best for pve enviroment? ive done some testing on all 3 specs myself and so far my conclusions are:

BM:
    good for lvling with a stun and a strong tank to keep you alive.
    terrible for instances with low dmg and occasional waiting for pet to get in range for kill command.
    terrible terrible AoE dmg.
    decent CC in terms of pet offtanking and stunning mobs

Surv:
    havent tested soloing but id imagin its alot like MM kiting.
    good dps and incredible fun. seams to have the strongest AoE by far and also very strong CC. good for support. properbly gonna end up being my raiding spec.

MM:
    bad for soloing, weak pet tank. ending up kiting alot more than wanted.
    highest dps of them all with a decent aoe aswell.
    somwhat short on CC compared to the others, so its more of a all out nuke spec.

whats your thoughts on the specs? which ones are you gonna end up using
    Last edited by mmoc2094d65ae1; 2010-12-15 at 09:36 AM.

Deleted
    Survival I tell ya.
    IMHO it is the best spec atm with MM as second and BM as third.

As you said Good DPS (8-9k without CD's on normal boss), good CC (in the forms of traps and wyvern sting), And good AOE damage (with the serpents sting multi-shot and fire trap).
    And also a good and decent rotation that's understandable for everyone (except the R-tards XD)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    MM being bad for soloing? Not really, I soloed every quest, but CoC, as MM. So don't tell me it is bad for soloing. Get Glyph of MD and you pet will never lose aggro.

Right now, SV is favored. It has higher single target DPS, AoE DPS and also the best CC.

BM is awesome for soloing and to some extend; PvP. Due to the strong pets which means you can be stunlocked, while it still eats the silly rogue trying to kill you, poor things.

i use BM to level as its much easier since the pet takes agro better and can hold the mob(s) off. for raids its SV as i find it deals more dps than MM but it may be my gear. from what i read its pretty much the same. i am starting to use BM here and there as well for dungeons and raids. the exotics bring more buffs to the group so it may not help your dps but may help others (including healers). the dps as BM isnt that far off either from what i have experienced recently too. i just find it less troublesome as SV and MM since BM usually depend on then pet to deal the damage - i dont like to depend on my pet and its AI.

In regards to levelling, I think that MM is probably top notch.

1 - Send in pet
    2 - Push 2 or 3 buttons, doesn't really matter which
    3 - Mob dies
    4 - Watch as all of your Focus magically comes back
    5 - Next

Mostly in comes down to preference in regards to 1-80. The content is so easy that any of the three specs can fly through it, so just pick the one you prefer. It's 80-85 that a little more thought comes into play. BM is probably "easiest", MM is probably "fastest", while SV help you pull bigger numbers in dungeons.

15+ Year Old Account
    I cannot bring myself to play BM, i find it very boring. MM i played most of wotlk, i'm enjoying Surv alot at the moment.

Been strictly BM since 4.0 hit and havent looked back. My DPS is great always #1 or #2 in instances and 10 mans. I also love the amount of buffs and the amazing pets I can bring, and the mages and shamans love me in 10 mans since they dont have to waste their mana on Bloodlust.

I think most the hate for BM goes back to the Steady Shot macro mashing days of BC, those days are done and BM now is a very fun spec that brings endless amount of utility and amazing DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnious View Post
    MM being bad for soloing? Not really, I soloed every quest, but CoC, as MM. So don't tell me it is bad for soloing. Get Glyph of MD and you pet will never lose aggro.
    +1, the glyph that resets MD for pets + the focus return from killing the npc means you can pretty much steamroll content solo via MM. I tried the similar style of play using SV and I didn't like it as much. YMMV

For PvE, survival by far. Highest single-target and AoE damage among the specs, strongest CC, and very easy to solo with, despite lacking the self-healing options of the other specs (spirit beast, chimaera shot). Combine Glyph of Misdirection with SV's bursty AoE damage and a turtle/beetle/bear and you can bulldoze large areas in seconds.

I'm curious why you assume MM is the damage leader in your post, OP. It's the trailing hunter spec, in 3rd place on damage output given equivalent gear. BM tends to beat it just slightly, while SV stomps on them both.

I only keep a BM spec as well because I like seeing Loque'nahak and my chimaera occasionally. And Loque is particularly skilled at outright soloing old L70 raid bosses, for the same reason he and his other spirit beast buddies are so valued in PvP.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

Quote Originally Posted by Gnious View Post

Right now, SV is favored. It has higher single target DPS, AoE DPS and also the best CC.

BM is awesome for soloing and to some extend; PvP. Due to the strong pets which means you can be stunlocked, while it still eats the silly rogue trying to kill you, poor things.
    He didn't say soloing was impossible. He meant it would be hardest as MM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    He didn't say soloing was impossible. He meant it would be hardest as MM.

I'd venture to say that BM is possibly the slowest soloist at level-80 and up. Glyphed Misdirection keeps aggro on the pet of your choice, and superior AoE and burst damage -- before the pet is even in Kill Command range -- get the job done faster for SV and MM.
    Dual Wielding: Equipping one weapon in each hand. Utilized by enhancement shamans, warriors, rogues, DK's, hunters.
    Duel Wielding: Equipping a rabid feral gnome in each hand and watching them inevitably tear each other into little gnome bits. Utilized by bored tauren warriors and also frequently by forum posters who can't spell "Dual Wielding."

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    MM is the best soloing spec ATM, 50 focus on kill, Daze and Mark on chimera shot is pure win

start with cobra+chimera and most of times an 85 mob drops to 50% or less health

Quote Originally Posted by Destard View Post
    MM is the best soloing spec ATM, 50 focus on kill, Daze and Mark on chimera shot is pure win

start with cobra+chimera and most of times an 85 mob drops to 50% or less health
    Agreed, I did 80-85 as MM and made the grind via questing in less than a week of semi-casual play. Personally, my rotation is Serpent Sting->Chimera->2x Arcane Shots (the second is available just as the GCD finishes), then if the thing's not dead, I punch in 2x Steady Shots for the haste buff. Glyph of Misdirection w/ MD-to-pet macro means that I'm at probably 70+ focus and counting when the target dies, makes for a good non-stop flow from one target to the next.

Deleted
    Why is that my BM dummy dps is 3k higher than MMS? I think MMS is fun and good in PvP and PvE, but its just weak :S