Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

New Mastery for Unholy

I am just curious to see ideas that would be reasonable for Unholy DKs new mastery or modifications to the current mastery skill.
    Current UH mastery - Adds a worthless amount of damage to your boring diseases. Adds more per point of mastery. (currently only sorta useful as an AOE mechanic)

New and improved mastery (really its only new OR improved but it always sounded funny to say it this way)

(this isn't really new but it was useful before they removed it)

Wandering plague - Gives your diseases a 32% chance that when they deal damage they will spread dealing its damage to the source and all targets around the target in a 6yrd radius. Does not break crowd control effects due to this damage. Each point of mastery increases the chance by 4%.

This worked before as a critical effect for diseases. Since they currently already can crit this would put some luster into the talent. Blizzard said they wanted this spec to be a disease spreading talent, this would make it more appropriate. It has the same similar effect as the one we have now but with a chance to not suck quite as bad. It would add disease damage and would still scale.

I understand this isn't magnificent but that's why I made this post. Show me what your creative minds can come up with. Maybe we can come up with something to give blizzard an idea that would make us actually want to use Mastery for unholy.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Deleted
    The problem with our current mastery is it's linked to diseases which are just an underwhelming source of damage. To be honest I'm not sure there's anyway for Blizz to make mastery into a competitive stat for unholy dks as long as they keep it tied to our diseases. The problem you then have if it's not to do with diseases is what does it improve? There's not really a whole lot of choice, you could have it increase shadow damage done or your ghoul's damage i suppose but there's not really much else I can think of that would fit with the idea of the mastery stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuilas View Post
    The problem with our current mastery is it's linked to diseases which are just an underwhelming source of damage.
    Well, it's a little more complex than that. The problem is that if you buff our diseases and/or mastery such that they make a significant portion of our single target dps, than our aoe dps will be off the charts.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

I'm really curious about how much all the masteries out there influence the DpS of people.
    How much DpS do other classes gain from 1 point of mastery?

Unholy would do great with the addition of more ghoul damage though it would, like with diseases, just add to the "auto-pilot" feeling that blizzard want's to get rid off. I'd like to see them do the switch from diseases to shadow damage, thus promoting blood plague, death coil, scourge strike and for the AoE loss of frost fever DnD.

Though, something more unique than just a plain damage increase would be even better. Something more RNG that needs you to react to make the difference from bad DK to good DK by a wider margin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nye View Post
    I'm really curious about how much all the masteries out there influence the DpS of people.
    How much DpS do other classes gain from 1 point of mastery?

Unholy would do great with the addition of more ghoul damage though it would, like with diseases, just add to the "auto-pilot" feeling that blizzard want's to get rid off. I'd like to see them do the switch from diseases to shadow damage, thus promoting blood plague, death coil, scourge strike and for the AoE loss of frost fever DnD.

Though, something more unique than just a plain damage increase would be even better. Something more RNG that needs you to react to make the difference from bad DK to good DK by a wider margin.
    I haven't even tested or read any other forums that discus mastery/class increase but that isn't a bad idea to look into.
    going into your Ghoul added damage that wouldnt be useful if your ghoul gets stunned or dies and you loose an entire mastery based off of something NOT your own character. I thought about that but it just wouldnt really fit in well.
    I thought about the shadow damage too but that is boring. its just a flat damage modifier that they already have in frost.
    maybe something like
    Button masher - Increase you rune regen by 8% if you press buttons faster. The faster you press the buttons the faster your runes regenerate. Increase rune regen by an additional 1% per point of mastery. Every button press/second will increase your regen by this amount.
    LOL
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found nothing bad with it, when it was in 3.9 or 4.0.1 when Reforge was introduced ... i had shit load cause of the mastery and did shit load of damage ..., well ofc by now i am still farming the dps gear (well going to be a tank)

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    going into your Ghoul added damage that wouldnt be useful if your ghoul gets stunned or dies and you loose an entire mastery based off of something NOT your own character.
    BM Hunters and, to an extent, Demo Warlocks (their Mastery also increases their Demon Form damage along with Pet damage) say hi. The reason I don't want a Pet Mastery for Unholy is not the penalty for losing the Pet during combat, but the fact that this Mastery has been done twice already.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Increases the damage done by your pets and minions by 5*X%, each point of mastery increases this effect by X
    counting army, perm ghoul and gargoyle.

Increases shadow damage caused by X for every active disease

thats it for me. i like the first one.

What about something like:

Increase Shadow Damage done by the Death Knight by +X% and increase the duration of Dark Transformation by Y%.

Both X and Y are modified by points in Mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    I found nothing bad with it, when it was in 3.9 or 4.0.1 when Reforge was introduced ... i had shit load cause of the mastery and did shit load of damage ..., well ofc by now i am still farming the dps gear (well going to be a tank)
    LOL really? You haven't seen the issues with this mastery? It doesn't carry over to pets, AT MOST adds 500 dps for both diseases non crit and is entirely passive requiring us to do absolutely nothing to use it. Given the last one the first two are really the biggest issue. What is 500 dps? lets say your diseases have a 100% chance to crit AND you have enough mastery to add 100% damage to diseases. That total is less than 1000 dps ultimately and completely impossible as it is. so really? That's not incredible. More beneficial for AOEs but i thought blizzard wanted us to depend more on single targeting 75% of the time and AOE the little tiny trash. This does not scale well nor is it as useful as say haste or crit. The only thing this actually works better than for unholy is Expertise and at least that can cap at some point.
    I cannot speak for anyone but myself but i can guess that my view on this is not alone... considering blizzard has made a couple posts already stating the same thing.

How about:

adds an additional x% of melee damage as shadow damage for every disease on target.

So basically, like an old Necrosis with Blood-Caked Blade style damage... still disease-based.

That will make white hits worthwhile to UH DK's, so along with mastery, expertise and (additional) hit may also be worthwhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    How about:

adds an additional x% of melee damage as shadow damage for every disease on target.

So basically, like an old Necrosis with Blood-Caked Blade style damage... still disease-based.

That will make white hits worthwhile to UH DK's, so along with mastery, expertise and (additional) hit may also be worthwhile.
    I like it, but I think I could definitely see it being abused pretty heavily.

I want additional damage to he pet, that's it... Disease mastery is okay, DK just need to buff our diseases by increasing coefficient gains from attack power. So our ticks like ferals are..10k 10k 10k =))) that's the style of DK =)

What's the difference beetwen a warrior and dk agains frostmage duel)) rigth)) we do sweet ranged damage..death coil pierce armor as well as range distance =)

I really don't want even more damage merged into the ghoul. We are bad enough as is on any encounter with a gimmick buff. Should be something that buffs the strikes and maybe deathcoil. But well I am realistic ^ chances of that actually happening before the next addon are....slim ^

Deleted
    They really do need to do something with unholy mastery, it's not a huge deal that it's boring passive damage (to me at least) but it just doesn't add enough damage to make me even consider it over haste, or even crit. Most classes really benefit from their mastery for a DPS increase, but others (Ret paladins for one are in a similar boat to us with their lolRNG mastery), are kinda left high and dry.

Something as simple as - Increases the damage caused by diseases and all shadow damage caused by x%, additional mastery increases diseases and shadow damage caused.

Sure, it's a boring flat damage modifier, but at least it's actually worth thinking about now. Even removing the "all diseases portion" and just making it effect shadow damage would be a good move in my opinion. Hopefully Blizz will do something with it, we aren't in a bad spot on damage at the moment, not at all...but it's a big let down to me that our "new and interesting" stat just isn't measuring up. Just my 2 cents at least

Not to take a dump in everyone's cornflakes here but I don't believe there's a quote from Blizz saying that every class is going to want to stack mastery to the sky.

Unholy DKs, Fury Warriors and I'm sure others aren't too happy with their mastery.

So just use what works best for ya and gives you the biggest damage boost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Gratz for nerfing your own dps in 4.0 by reforging mastery, that was just idiotic.

---------- Post added 2010-12-16 at 06:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wMw View Post
    I want additional damage to he pet, that's it... Disease mastery is okay, DK just need to buff our diseases by increasing coefficient gains from attack power. So our ticks like ferals are..10k 10k 10k =))) that's the style of DK =)

What's the difference beetwen a warrior and dk agains frostmage duel)) rigth)) we do sweet ranged damage..death coil pierce armor as well as range distance =)
    It's not really okay, it's terrible.

It would be nice to see Unholy's Mastery get brought into line with Blood and Frost, but I can't see how to do it with it A) being a iconic part of Unholy B)not making AoE or diseases in general OP.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

10+ Year Old Account
    All they need to do is make it like they did for shadow.

Shadow was increase 1 spell buy X damage (ended up crap but they couldnt just buff it due to pvp fears.)

becamse inrease 1 spell by X damage and all Periodic (the rest) by x damage

So unholy could become Increase Disease damage by X and also Scourge strike damage by x.

Easy to balance, would help a tonne.