Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I would switch from frost to blood when mobs were packed tight or they hit harder. I leveled 75% of the time in frost and the rest as blood. I could kill stuff faster as frost but was runnin around with just over half health, as blood I was topped off the whole time.

GL

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    Off-topic: Arms can easily pull many mobs, focus one then victory rush the others etc..

OT: Yes you are weird for doing that, at least if you're never joining a dungeon.
    good thing you went off topic first. and back on topic no hes not weird for doing it considering the massive damage and number of mobs that are pulled during questing. it saved me hours of not dying while questing in blood spec.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

10+ Year Old Account
    I've quested mostly in Frost and did fine but you have to use liberal doses of Death Strike or Lichborne to make up for the dmg you take to not have any down time.

As Blood I could see a difference in how fast I killed mobs but I stayed at 100% health without trying, also great for pulling massive # of mobs at once (when a zone wasn't to crowded to even allow it!)

No it's a good idea. You kill mobs a little slower than unholy or frost (and you miss the 20% mount speed bonus) but you're always at full hp after each fight and can easily solo some elites.

Deleted
    Np, Leveld as Holy ^^, have fun with instant ques "

15+ Year Old Account
    Tank specs are great for leveling, just use DPS gear for soloing and bam, you're invincible.
    (both my dk and warrior are leveling in tank specs & dps gear and it ROCKS)

Leveling my Warrior as Prot with the missus' Disc Priest as backup. We're unstoppable!
    Me sorry. Not do bad again, honest. :<

Not at all ... I leveled as Tank and was pulling 5-6 mobs at a time, i was first to ding 85 in my guild and 3rd on server (2nd pala ) and my queues were instant ..

Questing as tank probs one of the best choices you could make

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm leveling my Pally via quests in Prot Spec. I love being pretty much indestructible and doing things like soloing 5 man group quests in Northrend

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha not at all ^^.
    Might take a little longer. but you can handle alot more then a DPS spec. you can handle an extra mob or two with out having to heal/potion or what ever you have to keep you alive.

I levelled my warrior as prot and didn't die once whilst questing. granted it takes 3x as long to kill something, but taking on 5-6 mobs in the opening week was a godsend, even with the insanely fast respawns. It means I was finishing my quests whilst others were still looking for their kills.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voz View Post
    No you are not weird for leveling as a tank spec. You are weird if you are leveling as a dps spec (for thoes classes with tank specs). Tanks easly out dps and out survive dps classes. Tanks now do respectible damage, decent self healing, and a ton of armor. Only if you are extreamly good at your class, can a dps spec currently out damage a tank spec (talking from early 84- no heroic gear at 85)
    To the comment about arms warriors, all warriors have victory rush.
    Can't really back you up on this.

I've played prot my entire warrior career, doing mostly instance leveling, and some questing in Wrath with a priest, him holy and me prot >.<

I have to say I was reluctant to spec into arms just before Cata so I could solo better, but now that I did I learned to play Arms and it went way faster than in Prot. It's true that every warrior spec has Victory Rush, but it's not much use in Prot. to take enough damage to make you need the healing it gives you'd have to pull more mobs than are around most of the time. And that is also the only way to be faster, pulling a few (4-5) mobs as arms and cutting through them keeping myself up with Rush is many times faster.
    I often teleport back to questing after an instance and forget to switch spec, resulting in me taking over 20 seconds to down a mob with my low weapon dmg and Vengeange not stacking up on non-elite trash.

I wouldn't know for Blood though. I've always been Blood when it was still a dps tree, and if that experiance matters anything, I'd say go for it. Blood rocks!

Deleted
    Am i weird to have lvled and still quest as a shockadin?

No im just stupid. Still dinged first in guild and in about 11 hrs.

But imo whatever floats your boat.

Deleted
    Love my prot warrior =D Quest and dg with it, so I say you are not weird!

i loved leveling with a mix of frost dw and blood tank in dps gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood DKs have no downtime at all from DS, hard hits from RS, and you have Rune Tap for a quick heal if you need it and many other CDs, so it's really viable for levelling. I levelled 80-85 as Frost because I love my HB to death although I'm specced Blood for tanking now (insta queues ftw), and I'm was below 50% for most of the time while I was in combat. Enemies could just jump you and get free honor. No such thing as a Blood DK though, pop CDs > disease up > rune strike crit > profit!

I leveled to 82 as tank while also doing dungeons (Prot Paladin), but with the competition for quests, a prot paladins strenght lies in AoE, so if i can pull 6 mobs at once, even at lvl 84, i ll be fine, but with competition, can rarely do it, and by that point, retribution is just better damage.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

Quote Originally Posted by Jalpwn View Post
    Granted I'm only half way through 81, I've been finding a lot of success questing as a DK tank. Given our self-healing abilities, I can pull 2-3 mobs at a time and finish with 100% of my health. Even pushing 4-5 mobs I'm finishing with 70-80% of my health.

Has anyone else been doing this? I've not even had to stop and sit to eat since I started questing.
    whats weird is when you get ganked by a caster who melts your face in 2 globals.

I leveled as Ret from 80-82. At level 83 I went Prot and loved it ever since. My Deathknight is Frost/Blood and may go blood at 84.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am levelling my warrior alt as Prot. I don't like the other specs - you might do more damage on a single target but you take a lot more.

As Prot you can pull 4, 5 even 6 mobs and AOE them down (Rend, Thunderclap, Shockwave, Cleave) and finish on 100% health thanks to Victory Rush, meaning overall it is a lot more efficient than Fury or Arms. There is ZERO downtime. I guess it's a similar situation for other tank classes.

Soloing Elites is also a doddle as long as you use CDs.

EDIT: Just realised this is the DK forum but my post is still valid I think - basically all tank specs are perfectly viable levelling specs, and arguably more efficient than DPS specs.
    Last edited by Daedelus; 2010-12-17 at 12:55 PM.