Poll: Has cata helped improve your play style?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Has Cata Heroics improves your play style?

It's a fairly simply question, have you improved because of cata heroics? These can be simple things like never missing a kick as a rogue now where as you kind of let it slip by before. I'm asking this because I've been playing a top end rogue for a little over 5 years now and I've almost let a spell go by and not really care if I got my mut off or s/s off that took priority and the fire ball interrupt was there after. Not noticing this but I now kick without realizing it through muscle memory and am wondering if people doing these heroics are now having similar improvements?

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, but then again i didn't need to change my play style anyway

I've only done one heroic so far, but I'd say doing the upper level instances has helped me learn to heal more efficiently. Tanking is fun and I've actually been complimented a few times since I hit 85. It's nice to be appreciated.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Nope, but then again i didn't need to change my play style anyway
    I find that very hard to believe, everyone constantly need to improve otherwise you hit stagnation. Not just about the game of course if you're comfortable with how you play and feel it on or above par great for you, i'm jealous!

I voted no, but that really isn't entirely accurate. I simply treat every encounter in a heroic with the same level of attention that I would a boss encounter. So it hasn't made me "better", just focus more.

While it is enjoyable that the hc is tougher, a less than optimal group composition makes some of these runs simply next to impossiible. Last night I ran heroic stonecore with a group that effectively had only 1 ranged cc option.. we didn't get very far at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as it goes, I don't really think that Cata has improved my playstyle. It's changed the way I look at some things, sure, but with a mage as a main during BC, I learned to be effective at crowd control. For me, that's not something that I ever forgot. It's just been waiting for an appropriate time to resurface. With healing, I've just learned to be a little less frantic when everyone isn't topped off, and that's just a change in perspective, rather than an improvement.

15+ Year Old Account
    They havn't made me improve, I find them about as hard as ToC was, so meh.

It's just got me to dust off the play style I'd almost forgot from BC/Classic and start using it again.
    [/url]

Nope, I've been a smart player since Vanilla. It's made me better at learning how to deal with idiots, though.
    1. Search feature never works for me 2. No, there isn't a thread answering exactly what I'm asking for

I would say yes personally as a healer due to the fact that I cant just sit and spam all day long and not worry about mana... I have to be careful and selective with who I heal and which spell to heal them with and when to use my CD's. It makes me think things through instead of just spamming renew or flash heal and fall asleep during a fight.

It's improved my play style in the following manner: I now leave (even in guild runs) when either Stonecore or Grim Batol appear. The first boss of stonecore and second boss of grim batol simply aren't always healable at the moment, even when you've got the tactics down and half epic gear. So i'm just not bothering.

Deleted
    I'd say it's more refreshed my play style to the level it was before wrath, which i'm quite thankful for.

Been playing since Patch 1.4 so no, not really.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It hasn't improved MY play...but I'm noticing a difference in DPSers. There's less tunnel-vision standing in fire. MUCH more situational awareness and use of utility abilities for the benefit of the group. Now that all the bosses and even some of the trash is more challenging w/ more mechanics to master, people are being forced to play better.

This is a wonderful thing.

Call it wishful thinking if you want to, but I think the increased difficulty of heroics is going to translate to more successful raid PuG'ing when the time comes.

You're a "top end rogue" but you didn't have kicking as a reflex? Right...

I've played since vanilla so no. The play style is about the same as it was back then and TBC.

Yes, but it's not because of the dungeon difficulty lvl. Even during WotLK I always played while attempting to do my best. Even while doing those EZ mode Wrath heroics, if I screwd up on a single skill on my rotation or positioning I got pissed at myself. This hard training is paying off now, I'm doing great on the new Cata heroics and there haven't been one Cata dungeon where I wasn't the top DPS.

What REALLY improved my play style was the new skills I got. I play as a rogue and Redirect, Recuperate and Smoke Bomb, if paired with a higher sense of awareness can improve your performance by a lot. Also, now that Sap, Blind and Shiv (lots of enraging mobs) are useful again I feel the need to keep the eye on the ball at all times.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbaclot View Post
    Yes, but it's not because of the dungeon difficulty lvl. Even during WotLK I always played while attempting to do my best. Even while doing those EZ mode Wrath heroics, if I screwd up on a single skill on my rotation or positioning I got pissed at myself. This hard training is paying off now, I'm doing great on the new Cata heroics and there haven't been one Cata dungeon where I wasn't the top DPS.

What REALLY improved my play style was the new skills I got. I play as a rogue and Redirect, Recuperate and Smoke Bomb, if paired with a higher sense of awareness can improve your performance by a lot. Also, now that Sap, Blind and Shiv (lots of enraging mobs) are useful again I feel the need to keep the eye on the ball at all times.
    You may have gotten pissed at yourself for messing up - but there were no real consequences for your mistakes in Wrath heroics. Perhaps you die...but it's not a wipe.

Cata heroics are teaching people that even little mistakes can lead to corpse runs. I think that's making all the difference.

i sure have gotten better at managing my cd and not blowing stuff all at once and also i've gotten better at using cd's on trash except for that no not really its basicly the same except for the 2 things i mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, theres a poster or two in here that is lying... vanilla doesnt make anyone exceptional. Wrath was such a drastic change, that, anyone that played from beginning of 3.0 to 4.0 changed their playstyle at least a little, fact of life. So anyone that says " oh ive always been good because ive played since X patch/vanilla " is mostly likely lying, or to blind to see that they spent a good chunk of time wiping on progression content in wrath.