Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Killing your own economy?

As a JC I'd just like to give a reminder to all you others out there, and people in other professions as well. When you're posting something on the AH, especially when it's new items/content and people are still ignorant to everything they need to know, PLEASE, be conservative with your undercutting of each other. I just watched Solid Zephyrites go from like 150g to 15g in less than a day on the AH. Meanwhile Solid Sky Sapphires are selling the same price they were before, which is now more than the better new ones. Does this make sense to anyone?

If you find a new item and you have no idea what it does or what it's worth, do a little research, or at least search for it on AH first. I watch buyout go, 125g, then 124g, then all of a sudden 75g, 50g. This is ridiculous, and you're not only shorting yourself gold but every other JC as well. I remember when epic gems came out in wotlk, some uncut gems were selling for more than cut gems. How the fuck is a JC supposed to make money when people do shit like this? The only time those epic cut gems should be cheaper is months down the road from now when the only reason ppl want the gems is to raise their profession skill level.

You don't have to spend all day doing this, just shift click your item before you post it on AH to see what it's worth. And if their is no posts for that item, don't be afraid to set the bar a little high. Not only are their people out their with multiple gold capped characters who will buy anything and everything, but their are people out there like me with lots of gold who will simply be too lazy or impatient to find something on our own and just buy it at a marked up price. Caster DPS metas for example are selling for 1k gold each on my server, even though most people probably don't even have a helm with a meta gem slot yet. I wouldn't buy that for the slight extra crit that it provides, but their are apparently enough hard core progression raiders on my server who don't have a caster dps JC in their guild.

It's your item to sell as you want, but when I know we could all be making 4x as much, it's just a little annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a JC, I prefer having gems be cheap on the AH to help the raiders out there. 4x less for the JC is 4x less for those purchasing the gems. Gold's pretty easy to come by these days.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

This rage will fall on deaf ears. I have had many discussions with the people who put things up with those ridic undercuts...most of their responses can be averaged to this: "I don't care - it will sell faster that way" OR one of my favs: "Hey I'm still getting money for it"

It's basic Supply and Demand. Very few people are in need of gems right now, however Everyone is leveling JC- so a lot of these gems are cheap. It's the same reason that the uncommon gems are going for 80g, and the rare gems for 50 on my server. Alchemists flooding the market, while no one needs that many cuts yet.

Give it a week or two, this is pretty normal. It's been this way with everything, always. Welcome to basic economics screwing you hard. Just wait it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people just make the items while leveling their proff, once they get their point there is little concern of making gold back off the item. They simply want to be rid of the item yet refuse to just vend it. Personally I am that guy that undercuts you by 1s usually. I like making gold back from the stuff I MUST make.

10+ Year Old Account
    same as BS new belt buckle. Some idiot went from typical ~650 to 550. Are ppl stupid or what ??

Deleted
    Unlike real life where currency matters. In WoW people will not care how much currency they get as long as they get the item sold.

I dont need gold on my char so I am happy to undercut by any amount.

Quote Originally Posted by yovmit98 View Post
    Some people just make the items while leveling their proff, once they get their point there is little concern of making gold back off the item. They simply want to be rid of the item yet refuse to just vend it. Personally I am that guy that undercuts you by 1s usually. I like making gold back from the stuff I MUST make.
    I'm the guy that undercuts you by 1 copper

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthmael View Post
    Unlike real life where currency matters. In WoW people will not care how much currency they get as long as they get the item sold.

I dont need gold on my char so I am happy to undercut by any amount.
    If youre happy with any amount, undercut by 1 silver :P
    or if it's a very expensive item, a gold or 2, 5 at a pinch
    truegold on my server is 1k at the moment because some retards think undercutting by 500 is ok >_<
    if someone wants it, it'll sell, if nobody buys it, don't undercut by a ton, nobody will want it then either, but other people will undercut you, and lower the price overall.

If the gems are as cheap as you say then buy them up and relist them. Just hope they do not have thousands more in stock on hand.

If you'r so concerned by this, why don't you simply buy up the low-priced items and realist them for a higher price? Or wait for the low-priced items to sell through and then list yours for more? You have options here... Whining at the under cutters won't get you anywhere.

Deleted
    Doesn't matter. If you put up 10 kinds of a gem for a proper price and someone undercuts, it's not going to stop you from getting yours sold, it just allows the other guy to sell his items quicker. Which makes sense, since he's getting less profits.

Do the normal thing then.... buy and relist at the "normal" price range. They're only helping your pocket book.... or if you're not doing it, someone else will.

There's no quality difference between seller A's epic gem and seller B's same epic gem. Just the price difference, and without a quality differential, anyone within their right mind will buy the cheapest they can (and possibly resell a few for a profit!)

Quote Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
    same as BS new belt buckle. Some idiot went from typical ~650 to 550. Are ppl stupid or what ??
    That really depends on the market. Were people buying them at 650? If so then agree stupid to undercut that much. If no one was buying them at 650 and he sold at 550 then smart of him.

Deleted
    If the items are SO cheap then buy them yourself, you complain about the excuses "It sells faster" and "At least I still make some money off it", both of these are true.

If people can afford to undercut for so much then its your own fault for ripping people off in the first place, if they cant afford to undercut by so much then it wont happen that much and therefore isn't even a problem.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    While I don't generally "extreme undercut," every now and then I will sort of have a clearance sale to empty by bags/bank. I have a tendency to save items to sell later and in turn pile up too much junk. When I sell it, I sell it for an amount that will sell fast, because I don't want it coming back to me.

As for regular/current trade items, (ex. gems, ore, bars, herbs, etc) extreme undercutting is stupid, if you're going to sell it for next to nothing you might as well sell it in trade chat, advertising that its much less than the AH.

If you believe people are undercutting too much, you can buy out the item and re-list it.
    The reality of the situation though, is you have to be insane to buy a belt buckle for 650 or 550 reported in this thread. Those will have to come down. You maybe able to sell a few at that price level, but at a more reasonable price you'll sell dozens, and make more money in total.
    People don't have and don't want to spend unlimited gold. If something looks reasonable they'll buy, if not, they'll wait. Only a few hard-core raiders will buy, yet they might get it from guildies.

Just because someone's selling bags for 1,000 dollars on the street doesn't mean it's a good idea to stand next to him and sell it for 999 dollars. The first guy is insane, and you'd be insane for attempting to undercut him with such a low amount.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rewiinded View Post
    I'm the guy that undercuts you by 1 copper
    Same & I get pissed when people undercut me or others by a lot instead of a small amount.

Deleted
    It's pretty simple to curb this trend. Buy up all of the gems on one particular market and start pricing them at what you believe the fair-market value is. You need to be vigilant in watching the AH and buy up any gems that are undercutting you by too much. Usually I buy anything 25% less than my value.

All I know is rushing to 85 and max JC was a great investment I've made currently in first few days after getting the cut 25k on the 81 stam 2% armor meta because I was the only person on server with the cut and I was selling them for 1k+ depending on my mood and people were buying them like hot cakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."