Lightbulb PVP Builds: Arenas and BG's are Different

I keep seeing threads and posts asking/claiming that a certain build with certain talents is "best" for PVP. But I'd argue that in the new era of rated battlegrounds, you guys need to be more clear on exactly what it is you're looking for because an arena PVP build and a BG PVP build are likely to be very different.

When trying to decide which build is "best", you really first need to answer a couple questions -

Q: "Which play style suites my style the best?"
    A1: I enjoy managing pets. Then go Unholy. But please note that I said managing pets. If you go unholy with the plans to just leave your ghoul on auto-attack without micro'ing him, then this isn't the tree for you. To fully realize an Unholy PVP build, you have to properly use your pet.
    A2: I hate managing pets. Then go Frost.
    Short Answer: The best PVP build for you is the best build that suites how you play. Both are good and both are viable. You'll be best with what you are more comfortable with.

Q: "Will I be in Arenas or Battlegrounds?"
    A1: Arenas. Then go Unholy. I feel that the ghoul in arenas offers a greater ability for you to focus on just a few targets. The added benefit of the ghoul stun alone makes it an obvious choice in my mind.
    A2: Battlegrounds. In BG's, I would argue that it's more about the mob mentality as you move in coordinated groups with coordinated efforts. Having Howling Blast with the ability to slow large numbers of targets (with Chilblains) and simultaneously do a few grand in damage shouldn't be understated. Of course Unholy has it's merits here as well if you enjoy pets.
    Short Answer: Arenas = Unholy. Battlegrounds = Frost or Unholy. Of course either of these becomes null if you answered the initial question with a preference either way.

In my mind, those two questions should get anyone started in the right direction. Now that the theory is out of the way, we can start to debate certain talent points. Personally, I'm struggling to figure out where my final points should go in my Frost Battleground build. For me, I hate pets. And while I love the concept of arenas, I am just far too casual of a player to dedicate the time.

I would love some constructive feedback on this as a Frost Battleground build: Err...silly MMO Champ won't let me post links, so just past the following after wowhead dot com /talent#j0hZGcRMfuMd0ubhM:samcV0zmM

Some musings on this build:
    1. Lichborne with DC to heal should be a standard of any self-respecting DK PVPer. Therefore, it seems that you really need to get 5 points into Unholy in order to make Morbidity accessible. I struggle with where to put my points in that first Unholy tier between Virulence or Epidemic. The benefit of Virulence is that Frost DK's will be stacking strength, so they are often not hit capped; and yes, it is extremely important to be hit capped even in PVP, but just enough that your chance to miss a level 85 is 0%. The other argument is for Epidemic. As for Frost DK's, we use Howling Blast alot...a whole lot. Therefore we rarely run into a situation where our Frost Fever has run off on our target and needs to be refreshed. However, remember how I answered question #2 above? So because I will be spending most of my time in BG's, it would seem that keeping my Frost Fever up on people that are not my Primary target may be more beneficial in a battleground. I would then tweak my gemming to get me to hit cap on spells. Thoughts?
    2. Much of the DK's power rely's on strength and attack power, therefore I find it difficult to pass up 3 points in Bladed Armor. However, this removes one point that I could have put into Morbidity and decreases my potential healing. I would love to hear some arguments against Bladed Armor.
    3. I chose to not put points into Endless Winter because I seem to always have "just enough" runic power. In addition, I put points into Chill of the Grave which generates significant RP when you play a class that uses alot of Howling Blast and Chains of Ice. Of course, a very strong (perhaps stronger) case can be made for putting points into Endless Winter, and I would love to hear those.
    4. On a Pale Horse is essential in a BG build and a good example of how an Arena and Battleground build will differ. Again, this comes down to figuring out where you will be using your build. For me, it's in battlegrounds. Therefore being able to get from point A to B as quickly as possible is a necessity.
    5. Resilient Infection is something that is likely more beneficial in arenas than in battlegrounds; so I didn't pick it up.

Of course there are other options than these, but these are my thoughts and musings so far. Good luck to all.

The fact that blood isnt even associated in this annoys me. Blood hits decently hard, when subspecced into frost has a free inturrupt, lichborne, the most ridiculous health cooldowns in game. Especially for arenas. When I can solo a Druid / Warrior team, i would say blood is pretty fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    The fact that blood isnt even associated in this annoys me. Blood hits decently hard, when subspecced into frost has a free inturrupt, lichborne, the most ridiculous health cooldowns in game. Especially for arenas. When I can solo a Druid / Warrior team, i would say blood is pretty fantastic.
    I made a couple posts right around 4.0's release about blood being the best PVP spec in theory...I was basically told to GTFO.

I'm glad to hear someone else seeing blood as a good PVP option. I'm curious if you would share your build, glyphs, and let us know how your priority "rotation" goes.