Deleted

Struggling and frustrated (another QQ thread)

Long time warrior dps here, i rolled a mage for cataclysm and i'm really really struggling, sure my gear isn't great but i thought i'd be doing alot more dps than i am. and other similarly geared characters (rogue and a few others in guild) are doing around 7-9k while i'm doing 5.5k (at best sometimes less),

won't let me post armory link, my character is

Astralana - eu nordrassil.

tried both fire and arcane with the following results

arcane (see spec)

I usually use 5 ABlasts, then a AM, and a Abarrage, rinse and repeat, trying to keep my mana as high as possible but with this i'm doing about 5.5k in single target fights. while using blizzard on multiple (which really really sucks). i use cooldowns and reach around 6.5k dps.

fire

i open with pyroblast, then living bomb, then if that procs the combustion buff i'll use that. this is followed up with a fire blast, then multiple fireballs/scorch (mana dependant) but i'm still getting terrible numbers back.

i'm in despair and i feel so close to going back to my warrior and abandoning the class for good. but i really don't want to do that. So any advice on any of my gear/ or any part of my playstyle would be so much appreciated.

Astalder

First off I have a avg ILvL of 346 currently and with my gear there is no way possible you can maintain 5 arcane blasts and do missile. You need to go up to a stickied post or head over to EJ forums and read up on how to DPS as arcane. Right now the best you can do as arcane is ABx2/3 (3/4 if CC proc) then AM - if AM doesn't proc you then use Arcane Barrage. You don't try to keep your mana as high as possible you must keep it as high as possible due to mastery. You should never let your mana drop below 90% unless your about to evocate (during burn phase) or your mana gem (arcane torrent for BE YAY Super Saiyan Vegeta) is off CD and you're going to use it to pop it back up.

Currently as arcane I'm running anywhere between 12-13k DPS depending on the fight but I'm also set up for fire so its a little off. I would def read up a little bit more because no offense but you are doing it wrong now.

Now lets head to fire - You do not use combustion unless you have your critical mass/LB/pyroblast dot & ignite up that is when you use combustion. I suggest getting the addon CombustionHelper or making PowerAuras (CH helped me a lot). You also need to read up a little more on fire because you do not start scorch weaving until you are at 40/50% mana and have used your evocate & mana gem.

All these mages QQ'n are mages that played the class at the end of wrath and used the one buttom spam. Read up and you'll be good in no time I know that is what I did and I was a one button spammer.
    Last edited by ShatteredPeace; 2010-12-16 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Do not want to confuse the OP

Quote Originally Posted by ShatteredPeace View Post
    Now lets head to fire - You do not use combustion unless you have your critical mass/LB/pyroblast dot & ignite up that is when you use combustion. I suggest getting the addon CombustionHelper or making PowerAuras (CH helped me a lot). You also need to read up a little more on fire because you do not start scorch weaving until you are at 40/50% mana and have used your evocate & mana gem.

All these mages QQ'n are mages that played the class at the end of wrath and used the one buttom spam. Read up and you'll be good in no time I know that is what I did and I was a one button spammer.
    I have waited entire boss fights for a single pyro procc. I ended up not using combustion at all because i kept waiting... I think i need maybe 15% more crit before i specc fire again ^^

And i played my mage since release back in 2005, i dont like that stereotype of the wotlk mage newbie. Mages are totaly new to play, specialy fire, it realy almost feels like a new class. I am using frost now for instances till i get better gear.
    Last edited by Twoflower; 2010-12-17 at 12:32 AM.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Personally I don't plan to raid anytime soon... so I completely reforge everything to crit past the 6% hit cap for 5 mans. (so I might not be that helpful to you )

I have less item level than you (look up Tehmehher in eu Kul Tiras), and I just tested fire on a dummy and did 8k+.. peaked at 9k. I was really struggling at first, and almost settled with frost.. till i got the hang of it. Now I managed to peak at 15k in one dungeon pull (big combustion + impact)

Here are my inputs in 5 mans:

- I nuke with scorch! Its just a peace of mind. You do the whole rotation while moving. You don't worry about mana or your position.. this makes you focus more on LB, combustion and big impacts. I only fireball when settled in position and against large health pools.
    - Group AOE is like this: 3 LBs -> Blast Wave (talented with flamestrike) -> flame orb -> Nuke one and impact the dots. Use combustion if u get big crits and the next boss is still far. I still didn't use combustion helper.. but i guess it will help.

Regarding your toon, couple of comments:
    - Get the rare staff from the arena thingy in Twilight Highlands. Gives a boost in spell power.
    - Crit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Haste. Haste is horrible.. not only in value.. but it drains your mana faster. I notice you reforge crit to hit, even though there is haste in the gear. Haste and mastery are equally horrible. Always reforge them (to either hit or crit)
    - Intellect is your best stat by far. Check out my trinkets.. both are lower lvls than yours... but they bring 450 int that is better than the 500+ secondary stats in yours. The made the spell power difference.

I'd strongly recommend staying away from arcane... until the mana pool is in millions or something.

Deleted
    Thank you guys so much, i'll make the changes today and see how it goes

I wouldn't say that my setup is the best out there. But I have found it works well for me. I am arcane and love it. Background info I have about the same item level as you and I am almost ALWAYS top dps and by a lot. The sole exception would be on aoe trash considering arcane mage aoe blows balls right now. My exact boss fight rotation if I don't have to move is as follows. First I have a macro to pop arcane power, mirrors, any on use trinkets I may have and my life blood(haste increase for herbalist) all at once. I do AB x4-5 and missiles if they proc'd, consume mana gem and use my torrent(blood elf) which will basically top me back off on mana. Then do straight AB til I can't cast anymore cause of low mana, Evo, then the standard ABx3-4 and missiles if they proc'd or barrage if they didn't. I ALWAYS hit barrage immediately after missiles to fish for an additional proc. Continue standard rotation if they didn't, hit missiles if they did, don't forget to hit barrage again after missiles if you did get a proc. I have had a string of barrage/missiles 4-5 in a row before with those being the only two spells I use. Allows you to sustain dps and damage and basically watch your mana pool go back up as you cast(this is not the best option for dps, but it's a comfortable middle ground to conserve mana while still attacking and doing decent damage). With some time and practice by the time you run out of mana again you can mana gem, and by the time you run out the next time you can evo. Don't forget to use POM only for an AB and I've found the best time is before I use missiles after a proc when fishing with barrage.

Not the best option when you consider mastery BUT the best flat out dps and damage I have ever found since cata. Almost every day I have another mage ask me how I do so much dps and top out the damage charts.

Depending on the fight mechanics I hover around 9-11k dps and I've seen upwards of 22k dps during my burst phase all on single target. I do have those 6k dps fights when we have to move, and I've had the lucky 13-14k dps fights when I didn't. Don't even ask me what my time warp #'s are, but lets just say sexy.

Edit: I forgot to add. Cast fire orb just before you start your rotation and every time it's off cooldown. Although minimal it does add a little extra dps.
    Last edited by Oden; 2010-12-17 at 08:26 PM.

Deleted
    after taking your advice. swapping some stuff around i'm getting about 9/10 k in fights thank you all very much for the advice.