Thread: Top Spec atm?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Top Spec atm?

Thinking of playing my Warlock again and was wondering what spec is currently performing the best? Am fine with playing any specs, am affliction atm.

Destro is good for the most Singe-Target fights.
    Affliction does very well on fights where you can multi-dot targets, like Gunship and Madness of Deathwing for example.
    Demonology does good on fights with AoE (Yor'sahj), but they don't do very bad at single target either.

Overall it's probably Affliction being the best.

You can check http://raidbots.com for a more detailed look on the specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayntic View Post
    Destro is good for the most Singe-Target fights.
    Affliction does very well on fights where you can multi-dot targets, like Gunship and Madness of Deathwing for example.
    Demonology does good on fights with AoE (Yor'sahj), but they don't do very bad at single target either.

Overall it's probably Affliction being the best.

You can check http://raidbots.com for a more detailed look on the specs.
    From EJ ->

"With the release of Patch 4.3 the warlock class sees a number of changes, in particular the Destruction spec, along with a few changes to the Demonology spec. Following these changes we see that all 3 specs are quite close, and all have something to bring to the table. For single target DPS, the following should be true at all gear levels:
    Demonology > Destruction >= Affliction"

And looking at all the fights on world of logs in 25m heroic kinda shows the same results.
    I personally do way better dps as demo then affliction.

Deleted
    It's very gear depended and also up to whatever boss you face. I'm normally respeccing 3 times during a HC farm raid, there is some good thumb rules, but i would try to look at your gear vs the encounter... Often Demonology just does more damage in the lesser stages of gear, then affliction etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Demonology with gear =)
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Deleted
    If you are 'thinking' of playing your lock 'again', it suggests to me that it's not particularly well geared and you are probably not going to be raiding mega seriously on it (to me mega seriously means latter bosses hc progression, not that you won't raid at all). If those assumptions are incorrect then I'm sorry and don't read any further.

If they are, then really, the three specs are much of a muchness for general raiding. Play whatever feels fun to you and you enjoy the most.
    Personally I'm aff ms and destro os, mainly because I cba to reforge constantly due to different stat priorities and these two are (broadly) the same. And also because I love aff

Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    From EJ ->

"With the release of Patch 4.3 the warlock class sees a number of changes, in particular the Destruction spec, along with a few changes to the Demonology spec. Following these changes we see that all 3 specs are quite close, and all have something to bring to the table. For single target DPS, the following should be true at all gear levels:
    Demonology > Destruction >= Affliction"

And looking at all the fights on world of logs in 25m heroic kinda shows the same results.
    I personally do way better dps as demo then affliction.
    If you're going to quote EJ, you would have done well to include the very next paragraph...

"While Demonology does pull ahead in single target DPS by ~2k DPS, this is only in close to perfect conditions where there is minimal to no movement and the player is able to stand in melee range. This means that in most situations Destruction and Affliction will perform better than Demonology."

I play demo myself, and I do pretty well, but it generally requires a lot more effort to maximize in sub-optimal conditions.

I have currently killed 5/8 Heroic bosses, working on warmaster now... nothing extraordinary, but it's clear that there is no BEST spec, each fight has advantages and disadvantages with the different specs.

Most fights i prefer Destro, it has the best survivability, (nether protection is AWESOME) great cleave potential with havoc, good utility (shadowfury is GREAT on warmaster for sappers, we dont have a DK there (10m) )

And even with all that, it still only sims SLIGHTLY behind demo on single target all out nuke, problem being that the only fight where you can do that, ultraxion... Demo is suffering from a bug, hand of gul'dan doesent apply it's aura, so the pet gets less crit, evening them out.

Basically, Destro is in my eyes the "best" spec, with Demo being superior on Yor'sahj, Affliction being equal or slightly ahead on warmaster (at the sacrifice of control)

You cant just look at sims and go "this is better than that" have to account for survivability, burst potential on adds, control etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Holian View Post
    I have currently killed 5/8 Heroic bosses, working on warmaster now... nothing extraordinary, but it's clear that there is no BEST spec, each fight has advantages and disadvantages with the different specs.

Most fights i prefer Destro, it has the best survivability, (nether protection is AWESOME) great cleave potential with havoc, good utility (shadowfury is GREAT on warmaster for sappers, we dont have a DK there (10m) )

And even with all that, it still only sims SLIGHTLY behind demo on single target all out nuke, problem being that the only fight where you can do that, ultraxion... Demo is suffering from a bug, hand of gul'dan doesent apply it's aura, so the pet gets less crit, evening them out.

Basically, Destro is in my eyes the "best" spec, with Demo being superior on Yor'sahj, Affliction being equal or slightly ahead on warmaster (at the sacrifice of control)

You cant just look at sims and go "this is better than that" have to account for survivability, burst potential on adds, control etc etc.
    Pretty much this, although I find I do much more damage as demo (especially if i'm just doing dungeons) but for fights like z'nozz we have a 10man comp that needs quick dps on the adds for heroic making destro more viable especially for survivability. Whatever does best for your particular raid group, like do you have the 10% sp bonus already.. or are you doing heroic gunship with tons of adds, do you need an aoe stun or strong execute.

In terms of easing into your lock in average gear affliction may be the easiest? There is no warlock spec that isn't "viable" this tier.

Deleted
    In the end I settled for Demo, previously have played Affliction but I hate the slow ramp-up time and burst of the spec so trying Demo out for a bit, thanks for the advice.

Afflicoloyuction is currently the top spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Reolac View Post
    Afflicoloyuction is currently the top spec.
    No, no it's not.

worldoflogs.com

The only fight where affliction is competetive is warmaster, and possibly madness, other than that it's abit behind the other specs.

But what makes affliction fall behind the other specs is not the damage, it's the survivability, on the heroic fights you take a TON of damage, and affliction has to lifetap constantly, putting an even greater strain on healers who are already struggling, while demo and destro get free mana from pet attacks AND has an amazing mitigation cooldown in netherprotection.

Deleted
    No, no it's not.

worldoflogs.com

The only fight where affliction is competetive is warmaster, and possibly madness, other than that it's abit behind the other specs.

But what makes affliction fall behind the other specs is not the damage, it's the survivability, on the heroic fights you take a TON of damage, and affliction has to lifetap constantly, putting an even greater strain on healers who are already struggling, while demo and destro get free mana from pet attacks AND has an amazing mitigation cooldown in netherprotection.
    HE ment to say taht in order to paly well yo uhave to use all three speccs within heroci DS.

Affli(affliction)-olog(demonology)-ction(destruction)

Deleted
    No, no it's not.

worldoflogs.com

Affliction is not only competetive on warmaster, Demo and Destro are far behind on that fight at least in terms of damage. Affliction is also good on Warlord due to the Black Phase adds (if you're talking heroic) and Drain Soul being very very strong when the boss has the damage debuff stacked up. It's also decent for Morchok, Hagara (if you get lucky and get the 100% damage debuff on Drain Soul phase the damage is incredible) Yorsahj its still better than Destro but cosiderably outperformed by Demo. Indeed on Ultraxion Affliction is not a good spec, same with Spine, and on Madness it is again not ''COMPETETIVE'' it is a lot better than Destro and Demonology.

i have zero problem putting up competitive numbers as affliction on most of the fights. 3/8 hm currently. i prefer destro for h hagara and reg spine though due to less ramp up time.

This.

I'm working on hard modes myself and found exactly the same. I run Destro on every fight except Yor'sahj where I switch to Demo for the aoe. On warmaster I BoH + CoE Goriona as she flies by and still do decent dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    All 3 specs are so close that their individual strengths and weaknesses make them better or worse for each fight.

Personally I use
    Morchok - Destro
    Zon'ozz - Destro, however affliction has a slight dps lead
    Yor'shaj - Affliction (demo really shines for black phases)
    Hagara - Destro (all 3 specs seem to do about equal here looking at top parses for each)
    Ultraxion - Destro (for nether protection for hour of twilight) However both affliction and demo can keep their own.
    Blackhorn - Affliction
    Spine - Demo if your primary focusing on tendon damage
    Madness - Affliction

Overall I feel that affliction and destro are nearly equal if you plan on playing only one for the whole zone, and demo feels like it lags behind because it isn't as mobile and isn't as good at multidotting. My opinion on the specs are only based on how my guild does 8\8H and what strats we use, you might get an entirely different picture based on your playstyle and boss strats.

So, like others said, you can choose the spec that you feel more comfortable on each encounter.

I preffer Destro in most of the sittuations.

Morchok - Destro
    Yor'Sahj - Demon / Destro
    Zon'ooz - Affliction
    Hagara - Affliction / Destro
    Ultraxion - Destro
    Warmaster - Destro
    Spine - Demon
    Madness - Affliction

Here are the logs:
    Morchok
    Yor'sahj
    Hagara
    Ultraxion
    Warmaster Blackhorn

Now we are working on Heroic Spine.
    But last week we were missing the 10%SP buff @ Morchok and i had to go Demon. And @ Yor'sahj too, but for AOE purpose.

BTW sorry about my english... :P
    Last edited by StephanJoosen; 2012-02-09 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All fights Demo and I do fine. A bit behind where I want to be on Lootship 2.0.
    Power?!?! I'll show you POWER!!!

Warlocks are in one of the rarest situations to have occured in the history of this game, where all three of our specs are completely competitive in every fight. Granted, some have advantages in certain fights over other specs, but overall the difference is so small that you really are free to play whatever is the most fun to you/the spec you play the best.