Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    168
    Wouldn't an affliction lock who's giving dark intent to another affliction lock, who at the same time gets dark intent from that affliction warlock be the best ? I mean, both would get 6% haste and 9% dot dmg 10=% of the time.
    Last edited by Purely; 2010-12-18 at 04:49 PM.

  2. #22
    Old God Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,500
    Nice thread, thanks a lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchipper View Post
    Hehe...i've been putting it on my Felguard for pDPS.
    I only do that when soloing. :P

  3. #23
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Purely View Post
    Wouldn't an affliction lock who's giving dark intent to another affliction lock, who at the same time gets dark intent from that affliction warlock be the best ? I mean, both would get 6% haste and 9% dot dmg 10=% of the time.
    By swapping the DI buff, you only have 2 people with the 9% increased DOT damage. If the two Warlock's put their DI on other targets, there would be 4 people in the raid with 9% increased DOT damage. The overall gain in doing so is shown in the original post. There is no way that increasing the two Warlock's up times from what may be a difference of ~15% could outweigh the overall increase from other raid targets.

    If you're looking purely at up times and personal DPS gain, then your point would be correct, but that reasoning is very counter-intuitive to raiding.

  4. #24
    add warlocks to the list as we can do the wrath mage "but if we share it we get 6% haste!"

    ohh and im never ever ever ever going to use it on a mage. thay didnt wanner FM me when i hit them in the head whith crit scaling last exp.

    but it looks flawed not to add locks to the list when you got holy paladins

  5. #25
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by pieki View Post
    add warlocks to the list as we can do the wrath mage "but if we share it we get 6% haste!"
    This is exactly what this post is trying to discourage. The information regarding Warlock swapping with 6% haste is not relevant. If you would like to know how much DPS you can gain from an additional 3% haste, there are plenty of resources out there for you to figure it out. However, if you go by that alone, you will find the Mages getting the most DPS boost from the haste portion, further retracting from your ambitions of Warlock swapping.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    6) Holy Paladins***

    *** Only have a HOT via Glyphing, so you are basically only providing 3% haste to them.
    On the subject of added DoTs and HoTs:
    It was stated in another thread that critical strikes from DoTs / HoTs added to spells via talents (such as Ignite for Fire Mages) could not add a stack of, or refresh, the Dark Intent DoT/HoT buff. Do we have any information on whether DoTs / HoTs added by Glyphs (such as Glyph of Frostfire) or Masteries (such as Echo of Light for Holy Priests) are able to refresh it?

    All of these are affected by the buff AFIAK whatever else they may or may not do.
    Last edited by TobiasX; 2010-12-20 at 10:31 AM.

    Doomhammer EU

  7. #27
    Echo of light from holy priests is doing a LOT of healing atm, tis an insane mastery. We should indeed test whether this triggers procs, otherwise their benefit from DI is quite minimal (renew is now an 'OH POOP' button apparently?)

    Also, I know it's very hard to measure healer uptimes etc, but i firmly believe it should go on them during the phase your guild learns fights: 17 dps alive is more rDPS than 16 dps alive and one of them with an extra 9% max DoT damage.

    Therefore do you know if the list for healers on first page is couting overall crits per minute, or just hot crits per minute ?
    Because now, we are all fighting to get the resto druid's uptime )

  8. #28
    so what if i give it to another warlock, does that work? like dark intent'ing each other. i tried it and i had the buff twice then, but does it increase my haste by 6% then or not? should we swap dark intent with another warlock?

  9. #29
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post

    Also, I know it's very hard to measure healer uptimes etc, but i firmly believe it should go on them during the phase your guild learns fights: 17 dps alive is more rDPS than 16 dps alive and one of them with an extra 9% max DoT damage.

    You are very correct, I believe he states that near the top of his post. If you're dieing, healers > DPS.

    ---------- Post added 2010-12-20 at 04:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Jainzar View Post
    so what if i give it to another warlock, does that work? like dark intent'ing each other. i tried it and i had the buff twice then, but does it increase my haste by 6% then or not? should we swap dark intent with another warlock?
    You gain 3% haste from putting your DI on the other Warlock, and gain an additional 3% haste if the other Warlock puts it on you. However, the 9% DOT damage buff does not stack. Swapping this with another Warlock is a bad idea in a raid setting as you will be losing out on a lot of potential DPS if you give it to another DOT heavy class.

  10. #30
    I'm curious how a Marks hunter's gain from 3% haste and 9% DoT dmg could ever be higher than a Survival hunters... Putting aside the fact that Marks Base dmg is being considered higher, Survival has two "standard" DoTs in Black Arrow and Serpent Sting, and a Higher crit multiplier on Serpent Sting than marks. Further my experience with DI in Heroics shows that Explosive shot is both proc'd and increased by DI ( you may want to verify since I never "lab tested it"). I don't think a Surv hunter would beat or compete with a Shadow priest, but should definitely get a far bigger gain than a marks hunter and possibly a significantly bigger gain than seems to be accounted for.

    My conservative napkin math puts Periodic effects ( inc Explosive shot) at >40% of a the hunter's DPS using your estimated DPS value of 23k and an 8% gain on periodic effects that is~ 700-750 dps gain on top of the 250 you attribute to 3% haste.

    Edit: Honestly it looks like you just swapped or mislabeled Surv as Marks and then corrected yourself when determining warlock uptime, or something of the sort.
    Last edited by Vurrin; 2010-12-20 at 05:55 PM.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    Therefore do you know if the list for healers on first page is couting overall crits per minute, or just hot crits per minute ?
    Because now, we are all fighting to get the resto druid's uptime )
    I think a resto druid would win either way, but I suspect that Masteries and Glyphs that add DoTs / HoTs to spells, as they are not normally part of the spell, will not trigger DI despite benefiting from it. I won't be able to test this for 2 weeks so hopefully somebody else can before me.

    MM vs SV: I agree, it does seem a bit odd that MM gains more from the haste buff than SV does from the haste buff and the DoT buff combined. Are those definitely the correct labels for those classes?

    Doomhammer EU

  12. #32
    One thing I can see lacking here is if there's another lock in the group with you.
    Granted you can just use the spreadsheet's data for yourself, but pulling actual data on using your Dark Intent on a Destro Vs. Affliction lock could be useful for people who aren't a creative with data.
    Just a suggestion.


    Nevermind, I see the nubs have added the same suggestion as me, before me. They asked much less formally though. =/
    Last edited by Mihnt; 2010-12-20 at 07:28 PM.

  13. #33
    Legendary! gherkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    6,003
    Using Dark Intent on a Lock as a Lock means that you are a moron.

    The 3% Haste buff stacks.
    The 9% Damage/Healing buff does not.

    Therefore, if you cast Dark Intent on a Warlock who cast Dark Intent on you, you each get 6% Haste (12% total) and 9% Damage/Healing (18% total). However, if you each cast Dark Intent on a non Warlock, The Raid gets 12% Haste and 36% Damage/Healing.

    I have this data readily available and did not post it because it would be used to compare against non-warlocks, and you can't do this. You would have to compare it to TWO non-warlocks and sadly not everyone who reads this post will understand that.

    For those of you curious, for Warlocks swapping Dark Intent to be viable your group must have all Holy Paladin Healers, a Warrior tank who does not use Deep Wounds or Rend, and not have any Priests, Mages, Druids, Death Knights, Rogues, Elemental Shamans, and non-BM Hunters. Basically a group with zero chance of success against anything of moderate difficulty.

    So I hope you understand why I'm reluctant to post that information.

    R.I.P. YARG

  14. #34
    When Dark Intent does gain 3 procs do we need to be recastin corruption and unstable affliction for them to gain the +9% damage or does it add the damage as dark intet procs?

  15. #35
    Legendary! gherkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    6,003
    Good question, no clue. Dark Intent is a self-buff so I would assume that it falls in line with other self buffs and requires recasting, but keep in mind that simply recasting it for the sake of getting the buff is a dps loss. It should still be at 3 stacks when you refresh.

    Someone with more time than I may be able to answer that better.

    R.I.P. YARG

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Good question, no clue. Dark Intent is a self-buff so I would assume that it falls in line with other self buffs and requires recasting, but keep in mind that simply recasting it for the sake of getting the buff is a dps loss. It should still be at 3 stacks when you refresh.

    Someone with more time than I may be able to answer that better.
    With the way unstable affliction and corruption are worked now u should never have to recast them though with fel flame and haunt resetting them, so I'm guessing we'll need to recast UA, and Corruption to benefit form the 9% damage

  17. #37
    Legendary! gherkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    6,003
    Refreshing is the same as recasting now. Adding 6 seconds from Fel Flame causes a recalculation. Refreshing Corruption with Haunt causes a recalculation.

    R.I.P. YARG

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Refreshing is the same as recasting now. Adding 6 seconds from Fel Flame causes a recalculation. Refreshing Corruption with Haunt causes a recalculation.
    Ah thank you very much

  19. #39
    Does DI proc 2 different buffs? (See screenshot below)

    Edit: no screenshot, I'm not allowed to post images/links yet

    Both give + 3/6/9% damage, depending on the stack, and since they can be up at the same time they seem to stack...

  20. #40
    i noticed this too, one buff has the real buff icon and the other one is some kind of green egg but i dont know how this happened

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •