Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Had a decent raid in BoT and BWD tonight. I managed to get the #4 Frost spot for Halfus 25 and #86 Frost spot for Magmaw 25. We had a kiter for Mag, so all dps simply focus fired the boss and ignored the worms.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6...adt/dashboard/

Klunk is my mage's name.

Deleted
    Congratulations! I´ve seen many frosties using 'Blizzard' on Halfus, lately. I alway thought there will be not much shatter and no shatter mean, no decent DPS with Blizzard, but it seems that I should give it a try.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Blizzard worked fairly well last night. Granted, it's nowhere near a good Fire Combustion/Impact, but it's solid in the middle with all the other classe's AoE (at least for our guild). Even so... I'd like to see Shatter interact with Blizzard again. That way, we wouldn't have a so-called "AoE" spec. I'm fine with Fire having our best AoE, but I'd love to see Blizzard be a bit closer, if only to beat our Unholy DK on AoE fights. :P

I also noticed that our Arcane mage for the night was doing some pretty good AoE as well. If our gear were equal, it seems that AB-stacked AE may be a bit better than Blizzard. The only big item he's really missing compared to me is DMC:V.

I've been switching between Frost and Arcane, depending on the phase of the moon and what beer I have for the night. Seeing good results with both. I'm still ~3% shy (raid buffed) on crit for DF while using mage armor, but 2T11 has definitely helped my IL crits. I think I had ~31.x% crit during the raid last night, which included 3% from FM.
    Last edited by Max Rebo; 2011-05-11 at 01:42 PM.

Sorry if you posted it already but what are some ideal trinkets I should shoot for as a Frost Mage?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Sorry if you posted it already but what are some ideal trinkets I should shoot for as a Frost Mage?
    DMC:V and theralion's mirror sims the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried comparing any of the new FL trinkets with current specs? Just curious since I saw them up on CharDev in SimCraft.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Have you tried comparing any of the new FL trinkets with current specs? Just curious since I saw them up on CharDev in SimCraft.
    I wasn't aware they were implemented. I've been taking a break from simulating things due to work so I hadn't thought about trying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Necromantic Focus is simming, even for Frost with a 89% uptime, but the new Capacitor is not simming, but it does get us to 8122 unbuffed spellpower with just those two added trinkets. With a missing trinket (essentially), the DPS came out to 27,347. Not bad, but I wish the Capacitor would sim.

---------- Post added 2011-05-15 at 09:24 PM ----------

Also, even though with those two trinkets I was able to get to 34.22% raid buffed crit, foregoing the boss level crit suppression, crit with Df, FFB, and IL was only at 98%...so something is not simming properly here.
    BfA Beta Time

Deleted
    Bump for awesomeness. :-)

Got one question, why does frostfire bolt consumes finger of frost stacks? Is it better to prolong it so I can cast like icelance with finger of frost when both finger of frost and brain freeze are active?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Got one question, why does frostfire bolt consumes finger of frost stacks? Is it better to prolong it so I can cast like icelance with finger of frost when both finger of frost and brain freeze are active?
    When both are active, FFB will consume fingers and gain benefit from shatter and mastery, as it's considered frozen. This is greater damage than ice lance and should be used if possible.

Oh nice didn't know that, thanks for the answer

i'm gearing my frost mage now. when dpsing i was keeping brain freeze proc for fingers of frost. was i doing wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Androner View Post
    i'm gearing my frost mage now. when dpsing i was keeping brain freeze proc for fingers of frost. was i doing wrong?
    From simulations it depends on gear level honestly. A few changes have changed if you should fire it soon as you get it or hold it for fingers. I believe currently you're doing it correctly. Next patch might change that, we'll see.

Deleted
    It helped me to test it on dummys with a few iterations with and without waiting for FoF. It was a clear result: I have to wait for FoF (not the whole 15s, I`m waiting 5- 6s) when brain freeze procs, especially being capped or near to 33.34% Crit cap.
    Last edited by mmocc7076034c2; 2011-06-08 at 10:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenpete View Post
    It helped me to test it on dummys with a few iterations with and without waiting for FoF. It was a clear result: I have to wait for FoF (not the whole 15s, I`m waiting 5- 6s) when brain freeze procs, especially being capped or near to 33.34% Crit cap.
    That seems to be what I'm getting as well, although early sim results were mixed in favour of using as soon as it came up. Of interest, that'll probably be what we need to do come 4pT12. 30% proc chance on brain freeze and supposedly a 20% proc from both frostbolt and FFB for the 2p to show up... But for now, sleep.

I decided to play Frost this week. It's definitely competitive and raid viable, not sure why there aren't more Mages playing it.

Here are some Logs:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/cw4pb0zbujjvp9mv/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-nbnceqvv31qfv573/

Posted 2 parses of the same raid night because one was having problems registering Water Elemental output on some fights.

Should be doing BWD tonight. On H Al'akir last night our stormling DPS was pathetic (recruits >_<) so I went Arcane for more on-demand burst. Deep Freeze sadly stuns them and doesn't deal damage

A couple things I noticed:

H Halfus output is a bit weak compared to Arcane and especially Fire, even with blizzard. Obviously I'd have done much more output tunneling Halfus but my guild doesn't allow that.

H V/T seems good, the extra instant spells in Frost's arsenal definitely helped during transitions and when I had to avoid mechanics. Obviously Arcane has superior burst for Engulfing Magic, but I think Frost's mobility makes up for it.

H AC wasn't bad. In Phase 1 I didn't have rapid release spells like Arcane Missiles to take maximum advantage of the Burning Blood or Icy Reprisal buffs. Phase 2 was much more consistent than Arcane due to mobility. Phase 3 I feel Arcane is stronger due to how short it is.

H Cho'gall I was the 100 Corrupted Blood DPS. I'm usually Fire for it but I decided to play around with Frost. I've never relied on Spirit Link totem. As Frost I had much higher Survivability than Fire due to Ice Barrier and more mana for Mana Shield due to Frostbolt spamming not costing as much as Pyro spamming. I decided to do a "normal" rotation and Frostbolt spam with BFFFB and Icelance on FoF procs. I was thinking about trying a FFB spam but it doesn't proc FoF, and Frostbolt would do more average output than it. I think Fire is definitely more viable here due to its AoE capabilities and Pyroblast's increased critrate with Ignite. I'm not allowed to tunnel Cho'gall and instead solo-kill all Elementals that spawn so the only difference in DPS between the two specs for me was AoE on bloods.

On Sinestra the only thing I was impressed with was the output of Blizzard with the temporary haste buff. For AoE I feel it's more consistent than Fire (more effective damage as well since Fire DoTs can pad on dead whelps). Arcane single-target definitely has an advantage here because I was GCD-capped on Frostbolt and wasn't receiving any additional benefits from the Haste + Mana buff like Arcane does.

I'll post my opinions on the BWD heroic content as Frost after tonight's raid.
    Last edited by nemex; 2011-06-09 at 07:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest gripe with Frost on H AC is the shorter range of all Frost spells. Sure, it's not bad on its own, but when you've been used to 40 yard spells, going down to 35 makes judging range get more annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemex View Post
    I decided to play Frost this week. It's definitely competitive and raid viable, not sure why there aren't more Mages playing it.
    Very nice! Glad to see someone geared out like you are to give it a shot. I actually find Al'akir a massive pain to do as frost, since for P3 you lose your pet entirely, and the orb will just drop to the bottom of the zone.

On Cho'gall/Sinestra, FFB will actually proc FoF, just not BF so you don't get a double cast of it. The glyph sets the chill effect to 0%, but doesn't remove it as a chill by mechanics, same as the Wrath frostbolt glyph. I personally figure FFB on Sinestra would work better than frostbolt due to the haste working with the DoT and the fact that frostbolt is way below GCD even without early frost at that level of haste.

I look forward to your BWD impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    My biggest gripe with Frost on H AC is the shorter range of all Frost spells. Sure, it's not bad on its own, but when you've been used to 40 yard spells, going down to 35 makes judging range get more annoying.
    Agreed. Myself and a few other mages had an argument with Kalgan in the frost thread during the Cata beta regarding this. His argument was that some unique things to a spec are good. Common sense says that being 5 yards shorter than every other ranged unit in the game including heals is arbitrary stupidity. But for whatever reason he held his ground and kept it 35 yards. One can only hope it gets pushed up to par with everyone else, I hate being out ranged for adds.