Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Posting monster ate my previous post, here it goes again:

So I started using Rawr on my Frost Mage and it gave me the following advice:

1) Change enchant on hands from +65 mastery to +28 SP

2) Change enchant on boots from Lavawalker to +50 haste

3) Break my 4pT11 bonus and get a mix of 2pT11 and 2pT12

Does any of that sound crazy or is it sound advice?

Also the relative stat value that it is showing me, is that something fixed in Rawr or are those values custom to my gear?
    (I am getting Int 2.81 , SP 2.14, haste 1.1, crit 1.09, mastery 0.86, and I see no weight for hit (i'm capped) ).

I've been told that the mage t12 4set bonus increases the proc-chance of brainfreeze by 15% (making it 30%), but how much does this increase actual dps output by. In my raid on Wednesday, the shoulder slot dropped and it was passed to a druid which merely gave a 450dps increase. Since they handed someone else other gear over my because it was a 'bigger upgrade'. I'm sure you can understand how frustraiting this was as frost is supposedly weak until you have the set bonus. Just want a few figures to be able to dish-out next time it drops.

TL;DR - I'm pulling 20k dps, how much can I expect if I get 4set bonus?

Deleted
    You can expect 1000 - 1500 DPS increase (depending on your skill and gear combination)

I was playing with frost after realizing fire really sucks in FL. But It made no difference for me, my dps was still sucking bad. But then, I heard about this guide made by Kuni and my dps raised notoriously.

Thanks for sharing this, and keep going

Oh by the way... It's a PVP game now.

Deleted
    Do you hate enhancement shamans? DPS sucks, in PvP they suck, any plans to fix them? / Any plans for Illidan to come back?
    Lets answer the Illidan question. Do you want to see Illidan come back? We will think about that.

This is a problem, just like frost mages dont do well in PvE but the difference is you can't tell an enhancement shaman "hey just go elemental". In PvP it will be much easier in 5.0 but for PvE we will try to adress some of the issues in 4.3
    I was reading this while pulling 32k DPS on Baleroc on my Frost alt and it made me laugh x)
    Well perhaps we can expect some buffs then

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    I was reading this while pulling 32k DPS on Baleroc on my Frost alt and it made me laugh x)
    Well perhaps we can expect some buffs then
    I wanted to Falcon Punch the genius who said that. I REALLY did. Holy crap you have no idea! Now even more people are gonna be mislead.... T_T

Deleted
    ... just like frost mages dont do well in PvE but the difference is you can't tell an enhancement shaman "hey just go elemental"... You guys are very optimistic. I read "well frost mages could spec arcane or fire (two other caster specs). An enhancement couldn`t spec another meele spec, so we have to buff enhancement. I don´t expect any frost buffs.

The funny part is going fire would be a loss in dps, and I don't know if the blizzard devs are admitting they know that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    The funny part is going fire would be a loss in dps, and I don't know if the blizzard devs are admitting they know that.
    Pretty sure that would be the reason Fire got buffed as much as it did in 4.3.

I don'tm think the commentwas meant to be one of those "frost sux in pve" things. I thinki it was an offhand remark that simply wasn't thought through.

He's prolly kicking himself for saying it now because the doomsaying mages on the official forums are gonna quote him for months

And honestly, if you can play the spec and have any kind of gear you know what's realy up.

I held 29k on normal bael last night until he was at about 15% (shard rotation got forked due to a dc and I had to take one out of turn. wasted so many globals keeping myself up >.<)

Deleted
    It´s not about the current Tier. Frost is pretty weak without T12 and with all the current Buffs on PTR, Frost is medicore with T12 on the PTR at the moment. Im worried to be honest
    Last edited by mmocc7076034c2; 2011-10-24 at 08:04 PM.

Deleted
    Hey all,

Been looking around for some info regarding frost spec and found a link to this nice thread through WoWhead. I've got a quick question that I can't seem to find an answer for.

Up until 4pt Tier 12 I was raiding as arcane, like most mages. But upon getting the 4-piece set bonus, I decided to investigate whether frost was a worthy raiding spec. In tests, although it lacked the burst of arcane, I found it had a much higher sustained dps, which had it coming out on top overall.

I took it to raids, and for the first couple of weeks generally came out on top of the dps charts or higher/equivalent to how I did in arcane spec. Which was awesome. However, this past week I've been performing substantially lower. Neither my gear, spec or glyphs has changed, and raid comp has been fairly equivalent to earlier weeks runs.

I guess what I'm asking is: Is anyone aware of a recent stealth nerf to the T12 4pt set bonus? Or frost in general. The only thing I noticed was that Brainfreeze seemed to proc less than before. But there may have been something else.

Thanks,

Squeaks

Frost is subject to RNG as any other spec is, it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to this game. I really wouldn't think anything of it.

Do you have logs that you can link?

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    RNG is still RNG and still moody as always. I thought the same as you, until I did BH today, where I was swimming in procs.

You say "fairly" equivalent, what does this mean exactly? What was your raid comp last week and this week? Logs, as always, will help diagnose the problem or at least see that there was indeed a lowered proc chance/bad luck.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I'm trying to find a new guild, having a hard time. It seems people still don't take frost seriously at all... ಠ_ಠ
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I'm trying to find a new guild, having a hard time. It seems people still don't take frost seriously at all... ಠ_ಠ
    You're gonna want to have very thick skin my friend.

Took me about a month to find a guild ( and I finally did, one with four raiding mages LOL). People just dont understand the frost is highly competitive because the WoW community is one of the largest hive minds you'll ever deal with, and the quote from Blizz doesnt help things.

Just keep it moving and make sure you gear up right and stuff, but keep an arcane spec/set on the self.

You might have to run pretty high crit until you find a steady raid as well.

It also has a lot to do with frost just being difficult to play at a competitive level. There are literally hundreds of thousands of magi out there that simply can't play it well enough or just don't attempt to because they either don't care enough about it or are just lazy (Both high-end and at a casual level).

If I saw your application as main spec frost I would scrutinize you very harshly even though I know full well on an intimate level what it's capable of. Its just that frost actually takes quite a bit of effort to get good at it and be able to push respectable single target numbers. If you can provide logs from BH or some Pug raid it would go a long way to proving yourself.

Even then if your single target is up to snuff, any encounter where you cleave adds or aoe, you're going to fall behind the pack and there is nothing you can do as an individual, no matter how skilled or amazing you are that's going help. Blizzard needs to make the necessarily adjustments to fix this issue, which I personally don't foresee happening until 5.0 or in MoP beta when spells can be added or taken away more freely. You simply cant buff the crap out of Blizzard because then you'll just make it more appealing to use in other specs and Arcanes mastery will scale incredibly well with it, but I digress.

If you want to take my advice, play arcane (Yes it sucks I know) until you can get yourself settled down as a proven individual then gradually make the swap.
    Last edited by Phair; 2011-10-26 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phair View Post
    Frost is subject to RNG as any other spec is, it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to this game. I really wouldn't think anything of it.

Do you have logs that you can link?
    Well Frost is one of the few RNG DPS specs that has a fair amount of control of it's RNG. ^_^

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Phair View Post
    It also has a lot to do with frost just being difficult to play at a competitive level. There are literally hundreds of thousands of magi out there that simply can't play it well enough or just don't attempt to because they either don't care enough about it or are just lazy (Both high-end and at a casual level).

If I saw your application as main spec frost I would scrutinize you very harshly even though I know full well on an intimate level what it's capable of. Its just that frost actually takes quite a bit of effort to get good at it and be able to push respectable single target numbers. If you can provide logs from BH or some Pug raid it would go a long way to proving yourself.

Even then if your single target is up to snuff, any encounter where you cleave adds or aoe, you're going to fall behind the pack and there is nothing you can do as an individual, no matter how skilled or amazing you are that's going help. Blizzard needs to make the necessarily adjustments to fix this issue, which I personally don't foresee happening until 5.0 or in MoP beta when spells can be added or taken away more freely. You simply cant buff the crap out of Blizzard because then you'll just make it more appealing to use in other specs and Arcanes mastery will scale incredibly well with it, but I digress.

If you want to take my advice, play arcane (Yes it sucks I know) until you can get yourself settled down as a proven individual then gradually make the swap.
    I'm probably going to have to, I cant get a decent parse to save my life recently, network performance from Halifax to the Los Angeles datacentre (where Nathrezim is) is really hurting me. ><
    red panda red panda red panda!