Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just use Molten Armor and switch to Mage Armor when you have around 30% mana, like we do in fire spec?

Quote Originally Posted by Gonken View Post
    Just use Molten Armor and switch to Mage Armor when you have around 30% mana, like we do in fire spec?
    If you are doing that in fire spec then you are doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    If you are doing that in fire spec then you are doing it wrong.
    Not really, how is that wrong?

Why shouldn't i use Molten Armor? If i happen to get low mana just switch to Mage Armor

Not really, how is that wrong?

Why shouldn't i use Molten Armor? If i happen to get low mana just switch to Mage Armor
    No, I have no problem with molten armour.
    I have so much no problem with molten armour that you shouldn't be using mage armour at all ever.
    That's what your free, mana-returning, 90% of the DPS firball provides scorch is for.

smileyfacesmileyfacesmileyface
    Last edited by Imnick; 2010-12-26 at 10:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    No, I have no problem with molten armour.
    I have so much no problem with molten armour that you shouldn't be using mage armour at all ever.
    That's what your free, mana-returning, 90% of the DPS firball provides scorch is for.

smileyfacesmileyfacesmileyface
    Can't understand what you are saying, should I spam scroch when i go oom? rofl

Mage Armor gives you nice mana regen sup

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phox64 View Post
    how would you apply those codes kuni posted up? i would very much like those. =( sorry if i iz noob.
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...s-classic.aspx Using this mod, type /powa, and click import set, paste the big one, then the single import button and the single one if you want it.

Can't understand what you are saying, should I spam scroch when i go oom? rofl

Mage Armor gives you nice mana regen sup

Yes.
    You should.
    In fact you should spam scorch BEFORE you go oom.

Scorch returns mana to you and casts quickly. This also means that using scorch gives you a lot of crits and therefore a lot of pyroblasts.
    You will do more damage by weaving scorch into your rotation and keeping molten armour on than by swapping to mage armour.
    Plus mage armour makes you lose your ability to cast scorch while moving.

The idea of fire is actually not to just spam fireball and then run out of mana, you need to cast both fireball and scorch.
    Drop yourself to 35% with fireball, evocate, drop low again and then keep using scorch until you are either back at high mana or the boss is at 35% health. Once the boss is at 35% health it is your execute phase and you should prioritise fireball again.
    When your spellpower or crit has been boosted by a trinket, execute phase or some kind of boss mechanic then use fireball. At other times when you are running low on mana use scorch.
    A scorch rotation does 90% of the damage a fireball rotation does.

Why did you even spec into free scorch if you don't use it for this?

Thanks for the guide, as mentioned by others its simple and goes straight to the point. Looks like I've been weighing haste and mastery wrong and misused BF procs :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuni Zyrekai View Post
    Mastery and haste are both very close in value, with mastery being slightly better. Frost's mastery increases damage done against frozen targets, so any spells with fingers of frost, and thus 100% crit, will benefit greatly. Haste will increase the rate at which you gain fingers of frost procs. Haste feeds mastery.
    Great guide, mate! Really appreciated.

However, I just wanted to point out that the statement above is incorrect. Haste merely allows for more casts per time, but does NOT make mastery more powerful, because the percentage of FoF casts does not change. Had FoF been a 2-second buff or anything, then yes, it would have been true.

In fact, haste actually decreases the power of your mastery stat a bit by increasing the percentage of FoF procs used on Ice Lance relative to Deep Freeze, thus lowering the dps gain credited to mastery relative to other stats.

I hope you understand the math behind this. If not, I'll be happy to think of a good example to make it clear.

Stood in the Fire Doctor Deanster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ! give this a rating of 10/10

Sorry i don`t understand your claim.
    Casts with Chill Effects (Frostbolt, Frostfire Orb) that are procing FoF are mainly effected by Haste. So more Casts with Chill Effects result in a gain of FoF Procs and therefore you have more Casts against Frozen Targets where Mastery comes into Play.

That is also the Reason why Simulationcraft has both Stats about even and when you rise up one Stat the Value of the other Stat is increasing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbo View Post
    Sorry i don`t understand your claim.
    Casts with Chill Effects (Frostbolt, Frostfire Orb) that are procing FoF are mainly effected by Haste. So more Casts with Chill Effects result in a gain of FoF Procs and therefore you have more Casts against Frozen Targets where Mastery comes into Play.

That is also the Reason why Simulationcraft has both Stats about even and when you rise up one Stat the Value of the other Stat is increasing.
    I'll give you a simplified example that might help visualize it for you.

Situation 1: no haste.

Player casts 10 Frostbolts and gains 2 FoF stacks.

Situation 2: 50% haste.

Player casts 15 Frostbolts and gains 3 FoF stacks.

In both situations the player gets approximately 1 FoF per 5 Frostbolts. While haste has given you 50% more FoF stacks, it has ALSO given you 50% more casts unaffected by Mastery. The value of Mastery has not increased. (I'll leave out the explanation of how it's even slightly so that Mastery loses a bit of value, because that'd only make this more confusing.)

I hope this makes it more clear.

EDIT: However, if you don't mean the relative, but the absolute effect of Mastery per point of Mastery rating, then yes, of course that goes up. But the same goes for Intellect (SP), Hit Rating and Crit rating. Haste = more casts = more effect from anything improving any cast. Nothing special about Mastery there. (That is also what you notice in Simulationcraft.)
    Last edited by mmocbd7c196845; 2010-12-28 at 12:19 PM.

I'm confused now... so, as a secondary stat (after int, hit, crit) should we prioritize haste, mastery or keep them even?

I'm hit capped and have been reforging all haste to either crit or mastery (depending on which stat is not on the item), should I only reforge haste to crit and leave haste alone on a haste/crit gear?

how exactly did u get the bliz textures to work with power auras?

i love how they work when im frost but when i got fire i have to turn the blizz auras back on and sometimes forget to >.<

I'm a new mage that is sort of confused. I just have one question: Is it really worth it to get early frost? I mean like how much of a dps increase is it?

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by boinga View Post
    I'm confused now... so, as a secondary stat (after int, hit, crit) should we prioritize haste, mastery or keep them even?

I'm hit capped and have been reforging all haste to either crit or mastery (depending on which stat is not on the item), should I only reforge haste to crit and leave haste alone on a haste/crit gear?
    Last I checked haste and mastery are within 0.02 DPS of each other, with mastery being the slightly better of the two. Your best bet is probably to keep them roughly even.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxz View Post
    how exactly did u get the bliz textures to work with power auras?

i love how they work when im frost but when i got fire i have to turn the blizz auras back on and sometimes forget to >.<
    The newest update of power auras has the default blizzard textures near the end of the list. You could, if you really wanted, have any spec's default auras to use as whatever class.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuird View Post
    I'm a new mage that is sort of confused. I just have one question: Is it really worth it to get early frost? I mean like how much of a dps increase is it?

Thanks
    The last math I read on it showed slightly over a 2% DPS increase for both points. Nothing spectacular but a DPS increase nonetheless.

Okay thanks for all the help!

Hi Kuni, I don't know if you can help me out here.

I'm looking for an upgrade with my valor points. Being frost I wonder what could that be.

I'm currently sitting at 1400 Valor Points.

This is my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...smita/advanced

I'm doing around 13k dps currently, I'm using the crit meta, and it really helps a lot. So i wonder what should I buy first to increase my performance.

I've been told to get the t11 legs, and i'm 2 dreamcloths away from the crafted ones. My feet armor are soon coming from reputation.

So the other options would be cape (minor upgrade), feet (not much difference from ramkahen) and the ring which isn't that appealing either.

So I wander if it would be a good choice to get those pants, since the chest and hands are already covered with epics.

Thanks Kuni, any insight would be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurrus View Post
    snip
    I'd get the tier leggings as it seems that would be the biggest intellect boost, and if I recall has a fair chunk of hit on it which should cap you.

Semi-related, grats on getting both the ring and the trinket to show up for you in the same day.

[QUOTE=Kuni Zyrekai Using this mod, type /powa, and click import set, paste the big one, then the single import button and the single one if you want it.[/QUOTE]

i did this and it is working but whenever i enter combat this big arcane looking graphic appears over my character is there any way to turn this off?