Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I personally think its just right.

Yeah, embersilk has a slightly low droprate in lower level zones, but in zones such as Uldum, Twilight Highlands, and most heroics drop a fair amount of cloth. In heroics I usually get 2-7 pieces of cloth.

As for them adding a "Cataclysm Cloth Scavenging", I think it's either already in-game or Northrend one works, because there have been many times I would loot Embersilk off a mob someone else just looted, and I highly doubt people would just ignore embersilk.

The only way to level tailoring sometime this patch is to buy cloth. Other professions can farm their mats efficiently. But tailoring cannot. Walking out of heroics with 4 pieces of cloth after looting every mob is disrespectful. While skinners skin everything and leave with all their mats.

Something has got to be done, not everyone is rich enough to spend 15k on cloth to hit 525 before raiding. Just saying.

80-85 giving you less than 30 points worth of mats is just insane.

Dont get me started on the combination of volitiles and cloth... two of the rarest farming mats atm.

24 Bolts of Embersilk Cloth, 16 Volatile Fire, 16 Volatile Water = 5 skill ups.(500-505) Thats just not rite. Thats 120 cloth... People are lucky to get 5-10 pieces of cloth in heroic runs. So your running a crap load of H's for cloth, and farming a crap load of volatiles for just 5 points. Then you have to do it all over again for the next pattern.

FOUL!

www.youtube.com/TheEverydayDre Cata raid vids coming soon.

Grinding cloth for tailoring this xpac has been the single most frustrating thing for me -- even more so than dealing with the horrible DE return of hypnotic dust for enchanting. Drop rates are low, and in the course of leveling two toons to 85, running a lot of instance work since, getting donations from friends, and buying a small amount at outrageous prices on the AH, I've just now hit 500. I didn't expect to simply come across enough mats to get to 525 in leveling, and to have achieved that would have been anticlimactic. But having a good place to farm the cloth effectively (ah, the good old days of Blade's Edge ogres...) would make up for it.

I'd say enchanters are almost as screwed in terms of dusts, but for the fact that blizzard has now addressed that issue in part by increasing dust proc quantities and rate from armor items. That, and green craftables can be DE'd in addition to those received from mobs or quest rewards. Now let tailors 'destitch' greens they've crafted in their leveling to retrieve some of the cloths!

Seriously though, I don't mind a difficult leveling experience, but there should be some parity. Not absolute, but to some degree. It's tough to feel this is 'right' when I compare the experience with either of these two professions against that of my alchemist. For him, leveling to 525 took a grand total of about 5 hours (mostly the time for an 80 alt herber to level herbalism from 450 to 525 in the course of gathering the prerequisite mats) and come out with a ton of products that actually have real marketable value, unlike the majority of those crafted (at least to this point) in tailoring...

it does ramp up in the higher level areas but yes, it feels too low given how much you need for tailoring (I feel for anyone who wants to level first aid alongside tailoring, that must burn )

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    does the tailoring bonus of extra cloth work in cata? I have wondered this for awhile.

Seems like i got a bit more cloth on the tailor than i did on the non tailor, but not really put much effort into finding out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Going slow here aswell, but then again I'm a bit lazy. I do love buying mats for spellthread and putting it on AH for 50-100g profit .

some of you are posting made up crap or you are just trolling.

rough estimates for Cloth needed to level 450-525= 2200 Cloths or 440 Bolts of Embersilk. during questing to 85 i have managed to gather maybe 200 tops of cloths or 40 bolts....

i have recently leveled to 85 and guess what tailoring skill i have managed to reach? 470 whilst looting everything in sight, sometimes even farming some humanoids.. I think that the requirements to make bolts should be lowered to either 3 cloths per bolt or the droprate significantly increased. I have yet to see more than 2 cloths drop from a mob whilst i leveled to 85.

I did however manage to level my Enchanting to 500 without any effort.

tldr: I think that tailoring is severely unbalanced for the time being.

I am no tailor so I am not personally affected, but it seems crystal clear that the drop rate of cloth is too low. On my server it still easily sells for 200 gold per stack or even more.

One thing that I can advise is to drink the Potion of Treasure Finding when questing or farming mobs for mats, because that yields a decent number of cloth (compared to the normal drop rate).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's extremely low. I'm 80, I've cleared 2 zones completely, 2 zones are almost done, and one is partially done, I've done a lot of regular dungeons, a couple heroics, AND I've purposefully killed mobs on Tol Barad to farm cloth, and I ended up spending somewhere around 4kg just to get my tailoring to 500 :S.

This is on top of my boyfriend sending me ALL of the cloth he gets. Yikes.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Definitely feels low. I send cloth to my tailor from all the toons that I'm leveling and it still doesn't feel that good. You can run an Outlands dungeon and get 5 stacks of Netherweave and run a Northrend dungeon and usually get 2 stacks, but as others have said, there are far fewer humanoid mobs to drop the cloth.

Feels to low. I don't have tailoring, but I just hit 85 yesterday and my first aid is only at 510, while in previous expansions, I hit the cap way before the max level. My alt has tailoring though, and I fear it will be a pain in the *** to lvl it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miku View Post
    Do Quests? And DE the mats? Instead of... vendoring them?
    Quote Originally Posted by cerealK View Post
    This post however...you can NOT blame low cloth drops on your enchanting issues. After I capped I had a giant mountain of mats, simply from quest rewards alone...

edit: I guess some others are having this enchanting 'issue' aswell, but I had plenty of mats so I dont know what you guys are doing different..
    First I did do quests in Vashjir (or whatever its called), Twilight Highlands, Uldum, Hyjal, and a couple in Deepholm in addition to doing a few dungeons a day on the way to 85. I didn't vendor 1 item or even put 1 item up on the AH that I made or had drop for me. My enchanting is sitting at 480 only because I had 3 bags full of Wrath mats that allowed me to do stuff like 40 stam bracers & zerker and other stuff for a long time before using 1 Cata mat. You assumption that I vendored things is 100% inaccurate. I didn't need the gold from vendoring since I had enough from Wrath.

Second, on the issue of cloth...2 toons are now 85 (gg classes interferring with WoW lol). My druid who is an Alliance was my other toon to hit 85 besides my UD priest. Because I am faction changing to troll next week I've been saving every single piece of cloth he has got in his bank (and enchanting mats from running dungeons when an enchanter was there) and from his whole time 80 to 85 he was able to accumulate a whole 5 1/4 stacks of cloth. I didn't make 1 bandage with him because I didn't even train FA in Cata for him. I didn't AH or vendor any cloth because I knew I was going to need it with my priest since I have 2 other tailors who need to get their embroideries & spellthreads. Infact my druid is a skinner/LW so he looted every single thing he killed. Simple logic is that the drop rate of cloth is extremely low.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2010-12-24 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo but think I didn't fix another >.<

15+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Professions.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I actually think the drop rate is fine :P
    I come across a bunch from dungeon farming and questing on my alts. But, that's just me :3

Tbh, from my point of view the droprate is just alright. However if you compare it to frostweave's drop-rate then it's definitely below average. Sometimes you get 6 cloths per mob, while sometimes you don't get a single cloth running multiple instances. I think it's about luck i guess.
    And if your buying out embersilk from the ah as a tailor. Treat it as buying out ores from the ah as a blacksmith. It's somewhat similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I too have felt the sting of leveling tailoring. I'm gonna take some of the suggestions from this thread and go farm tol barad with a treasure finding potion!
    Thanks gents merry christmas. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kep22 View Post
    The flayers near the big Son of Kor mobs are a good place to get silk.
    The small ones run around in packs of 5ish and do crap all dmg.
    Try that.
    Shhh..... dont tell them that =( 100 cloth every 30 mins is nice ;D

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    does the tailoring bonus of extra cloth work in cata? I have wondered this for awhile.

Seems like i got a bit more cloth on the tailor than i did on the non tailor, but not really put much effort into finding out.
    I believe so because I'm fairly certain that in dungeon groups I've seen previously unlootable mobs become lootable after another player looted them, usually having a couple of embersilk on them.