Thread: Holy Priest HPS

Deleted

Holy Priest HPS

Just went to Grim Batol heroic and had some issues at the bosses, not mana issues (2200 Spirit is enough atm) but HPS which sometimes seems too low.
    It could also be that the members of my PUG had bad movement, but I am not sure. I did average 5.5k HPS in the Boss fights and we did the 2 first bosses.I was wondering what's your average HPS count in heroics?

Quote Originally Posted by Messy View Post
    Just went to Grim Batol heroic and had some issues at the bosses, not mana issues (2200 Spirit is enough atm) but HPS which sometimes seems too low.
    It could also be that the members of my PUG had bad movement, but I am not sure. I did average 5.5k HPS in the Boss fights and we did the 2 first bosses.I was wondering what's your average HPS count in heroics?

HPS means absolutely nothing, your HPS might be very high, your group lived, and you're next to out of mana, or your HPS is low(er), your group lived, and you still have 50+ % mana.

It's all about casting the right heal at the right time, and we're also very dependent on the group itself. If they play bad you're forced to use inefficient heals, thus you will go oom a lot faster, or even wipe. Yet your HPS might be high, that's why HPS is not a good measurement in my opinion to say if you're doing a good job or not.

Deleted
    around 6-6.5k, 7.5-8k if i get bored and want to blow my mana away (remember this is hc's), ur HPS is fine, if ur having mana issues on the bosses, then as you say, the pug members had bad movement.

I healed a PUG though grim batol a few days ago and was having to drink every other pull... a few hours later without any gearing or spec changes I healed a guild run and never had to drink... only to top my mana before boss fights

Deleted
    Ok thank you - I also have the feeling that my HPS is ok and that I can heal hcs if every member of the group has good movement etc.

Just piping in to agree with what the others have said. In general, when people in the group aren't being stupid, my HPS in a heroic sits between 5-6k for the total of the run and I only have to drink occassionally, if at all. When I end up pugging part or all of the group, it can get dicey, and even if my HPS doesn't go up, I'm still often forced to use less efficient heals, and I end up drinking a lot. In short, sounds like you're fine and you're just getting bad luck with your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    HPS means absolutely nothing, your HPS might be very high, your group lived, and you're next to out of mana, or your HPS is low(er), your group lived, and you still have 50+ % mana.

It's all about casting the right heal at the right time, and we're also very dependent on the group itself. If they play bad you're forced to use inefficient heals, thus you will go oom a lot faster, or even wipe. Yet your HPS might be high, that's why HPS is not a good measurement in my opinion to say if you're doing a good job or not.
    I believe this to be 100% accurate. Who cares what your HPS is at, as long as everyone lived? In a 5 man, that's all that matters.

Your HPS can't be looked at as a broad stat. If people aren't dying and you're the only healer (ie: 5 mans) then your HPS is completely inconsequential. It was enough for the fight and that's that. Different fights require different levels of HPS. A good example would be the say the first boss of GB vs the second boss of GB. On the first boss if people aren't retarded your HPS will be extremely low. Tank damage is low and all his mechanics are avoidable. No one gets hit by group damage/etc. Now compare to the second boss. Random AOE, random impales, random cone AOE during shield phase, sometimes bugs and starts spraying fire in all directions. HPS is usually pretty high. If people don't move it's borderline unhealable. I have successfully kept up two melee who stood in the fire cone multiple times, but I almost OOM'd doing it and had to use GS on one of them as well as both Hymns and had to spam Binding Heal for a while (ouch). My HPS was absurd purely because I was making up for other people being bad. My HPS on that fight was higher than I've seen in 25 man raids. So I went from <5k HPS to 14k+ HPS on different bosses.

Point being: When solo healing HPS should only be looked at when people die, or are at risk of dying.

10+ Year Old Account
    To also jump on the beating a dead horse train at this point:

HPS isn't a useful stat for anything other than comparing different spell combinations. It can be tracked on meters, but before Wrath it was kind of a "so what," at least in the healer community (at least what little I saw of it pre Wrath). Then Wrath hits and because of some of the events that unfold a lot of dps decide to switch either to tanks or heals and they bring over their love of the DPS meter and trying to top it. And at first blush HPS seems like a good measure of healing, as heck, you're healing up the most damage the fastest, and that's good, right? But as has been said by pretty much every post here people not dying to things outside their control is a much better metric.

HPS is more important in a group setting with multiple healers so it shouldn't be dismissed entirely. It's only when solo healing that it can really be dismissed entirely. Your HPS is limited only by incoming damage, so it will change dramatically purely because people are taking more or less damage. In a group setting HPS is a very useful tool when analyzing fights especially from a raid leadership perspective.

When I as a healing lead am asked about a players performance there are three things I will mention: Healing output, mana management and awareness. With few exceptions your healers putting out the most will also be your most skilled players. Some exceptions for things like the end of Wrath with some players writing spammable Rejuv-bot macros, but in general it's the truth. A lot of people don't like that idea, but your top healer will be doing three things: Maximizing mana -> healing, staying alive and prioritizing targets. It's the first thing I look at with apps.

Alot of times if you look at it, the more HPS your doing, the more damage the group is taking and probably half that damage was avoidable on their part, and they failed to move from whatever ability or someone missed a kick or something. When I do heroics with my guild, we all know what to do so alot of times im ending up with 40% mana or so after a boss fight due to proper movements and people interupting what needs to be done and so on.

after running entirely pug randoms and heroics, last night we had an all guild 5 man for the first time in cata and I was blown away by how little damage actually is unavoidable.

Your hps sounds totally fine to me, but it's entirely dependant on your group as to whether or not it's enough. I'd suggest being rather direct about it and doing what I do. If someone is taking avoidable damage I don't heal them until they stop taking damage. If someone stands in fire, I wait and see if they notice their health ticking down and when they move out I'll throw a small heal their way and see if they can stay alive with it.

Once you stop putting all the pressure on yourself healing is a lot less stressful and a lot more fun. Heal what you can, but don't blow your mana on someone who hasn't learned they need to do what they can to avoid it. Sounds to me like you're fine.