prot hit/expertise concern

I realized yesterday that although i am not quite at raiding level gear wise, im getting close with approx 341 avg ilvl.
    but i was looking over my stats, and proofing elitist jerks and other pages stating that as a prot pally our goal was 961 hit(8%) and 781 expertise.

is anyone else having astounding issues even getting close to either of these?

and if so, what are we doing to remedy it? im trying a mid max point (lol) im trying to keep both relative close to the middle of what i need, and yet still try to retain some mitigation from it.

now im sure after looking at some gear that this will be doable with t11+ gear to a much more easily degree, but for now its near impossible for me,

you?

Deleted
    Personally I don't give a shit about hit/expertise at the moment. I was capped for a while, had close to 1000 hit and 750~ expertise but I had to reforge dodge/parry to hit and enchant my gloves for expertise. It ain't worth it. At all. Just go full defensive stats, reforge parry/dodge/hit/expertise to mastery whenever you can, if you can't reforge parry/hit/expertise to dodge.

Edit: Once gear tiers go up or as you get further into BWD/Bastion/Throne hit and expertise start being valuable stats, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by mmoc9b719c3609; 2010-12-17 at 07:24 PM.

yeah, thats pretty much what im currently doing, trying to keep about 5-6% hit so that i can hold things without depending on taunts so much, expertise aroud 5-10% (glyph and one item meet that easily) and keeping almost anything with pure mastery or dodge on it. good to know im not the only one doing this atm then.

thanks for the reply.

so heres an addendum to the above, i recently got the boe epic shield world drop(cannot remember the name but its identical to the elementium earthguard EXCEPT where the earthguard has hit/mastery, the boe world drop has parry/mastery, given the above information on my hit levels would it be smarter to go with the earthguard or the boe i could sell for about 15k right now lol.
    Last edited by ganette; 2010-12-17 at 07:46 PM.

Deleted
    At 333-346 level you shouldn't really concern yourself with caping your threat stats. The hit and expertise that comes on tank pieces should be more then enough for you.

Caping those stats becomes important in the raid tiers, when dps can also cap their and starts to reforge hit/expertise into crit/haste/mastery.

We actually have it incredibly easy to hit the expertise cap, what with the glyph for Seal of Truth.

just gem for hit/expertise and mastery, and reforge where necessary, and you'll get capped fairly easily

Deleted
    Slightly over expertise cap and hit cap, I reforged some gear into hit - More for the sake of it than anything. I had a far harder time getting hit capped in t10 personally.

As Drakonblayde said expertise shouldn't really be an issue.

Exp soft cap(26 which is super easy to get as you only need 16), 7.4% hit, w/ defence stats in my sig. It's not that hard to get. I have no hit gems(though I do have the cata +hit chain for my weapon).

Honestly at this point, with the gear levels as they are, you shouldn't have issues with threat even with 5-6% hit.

there is no reason to have any hit or expertise at the moment. if your having trouble maintaining threat on raid bosses your doing something very wrong.

if your want to speed run heroics in threat gear, do it, thats what i do, but for raid gearing, max survival is the way to go.

The ONLY reason you'll need to worry about capping hit and expertise anytime soon is threat, and that's really not a problem right now. The only time, in heroics, that I have any issue at all with threat is during aoe tanking when some bonehead dps's a target that I'm not focusing. In that situation, I have a pretty firm rule. You yank it, you tank it... it will come back to me when you're dead.

Until later tiers, when threat will become more of an issue, I wouldn't sweat getting hit above 5% or expertise above 23-24, both of which are easily doable without sacrificing mastery or defensive stats in current gear.