Deleted

Engineering as melee?

Hey i was wondering if Engineering is worth anything as melee. Imean do any of you know if i can use the Engineering gems later on in the game or is it only for the 1 epic headpice you can make? If you cant use the gems later on, what is Engineering worth then ?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kinda bumming me out right now that our toys aren't useable that much. Srsly, nitro boost screwing up in raids or even 5m can be a wipe... that's no bueno.

Deleted
    But the Engineering gems. can you use them in other items then just the one head?

No clue about later. But I have Engineering on two toons right now and at the rate of the incoming nerfs to Engineering it is getting less and less useful. As things stand the only Engineering items left that I can use in PvP is the Shocker and the Parachute. They just removed the bolt gun from use in the arena, I guess it was too powerful or something, having a ranged interrupt with a cast time is just too much apparently...

From what I can tell though, Engineering is next to useless anymore. All of the stuff you can do as an Engineer seems to have a chance to fail, so they have not only taken away the usefulness but the fun as well. Its the only profession that has a chance to kill you too. Don't have to worry about that as a JC with your super gems that can be used in anything, or a LW/BS.

Short answer, no, no it isn't.

Edit: And as far as I am aware the cogs are only usable in the Engineering helm. And the Engineering helm is only going to be good til tier 11.5 or tier 12, at that point I predict Engineering to become fully DoA.

Deleted
    Okay. hmm.

---------- Post added 2010-12-17 at 09:28 PM ----------

But dont you think they will change that?

Glove tinkers don't fail. Parachutes don't fail.

True enough, lol.

Oh, and I forgot about the potion injector glove tinkers. Which are usable in arenas at the moment, which is pretty nice. But since potions are not usable in arenas I predict that being removed as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by toddiuszho View Post
    Glove tinkers don't fail. Parachutes don't fail.
    I do not venture into pvp much so I'll leave the usefulness of this profession to be decided by those who do, but froma pve perspective:

-Glove tinkers, while they may not fail, they certainly are not worth the thousands of gold it costs to get ?50dps? Tanking view, greater mastery/expertise/hit > tinker atm

-Parachute, absolutely no pve reason to have this. From a tanking stand point, I'll take my extra 250 armor please.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathleecher View Post
    But the Engineering gems. can you use them in other items then just the one head?
    Is there a melee class where mastery is greater than their primary stat. Take paladins for example, though I will address others.

Using the cogwheel I can get a big boost to mastery,crit,or haste. In exchange I lose out on a min of 60 strength. If you run those numbers you don't come out with a gain, hell it's a loss if you use mastery as one of them. The only way it comes out even close to even is with a huge haste increase. This is for DPS, but if you go with tanking it isn't much different. As someone pointed out the tanking gems are simply better to use than the cogwheels. For paladins the helm is nice, but using the cogwheels is a loss.

For a dk, we have 3 trees to go with. Blood for tanking, there big mastery increase is nice. Is it better than stam/strength/expertise or stam/strength/expertise? The number haven't been calculated last time I looked but again it's not looking too good.

I think the only time these helms will be better with their cogwheels is in the case of a caster boosting their haste by huge amounts. I don't know rogues well enough to talk about it, nor do I know warriors well enough yet (still getting one up). So to warriors is a haste/crit increase or crit/mastery increase better than a flat 60 strength?

10+ Year Old Account
    For a DK I don't see how the cogs would be able to replace the str (and added parry%) on top of being equal to or better than a comparable tanking helm with its "green stats". As far as, is it good until you can get a raid helm, yes it is worth it if you most likely will not have access to raid/tier gear. Personally, I should be attempting some of the new raids within the next week or so, already have TB boss down (one shot in a pug), so I can't see dumping the gold to level and create the helm only to be replaced in the next couple of weeks. Fact of the matter is that the entry level raids are set up to be done in the heroic blues. I may look into some of the BS crafted items once prices drop a bit but as far as the profession goes, I am seriously considering dropping engineering sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by yovmit98 View Post
    For a DK I don't see how the cogs would be able to replace the str (and added parry%) on top of being equal to or better than a comparable tanking helm with its "green stats". As far as, is it good until you can get a raid helm, yes it is worth it if you most likely will not have access to raid/tier gear. Personally, I should be attempting some of the new raids within the next week or so, already have TB boss down (one shot in a pug), so I can't see dumping the gold to level and create the helm only to be replaced in the next couple of weeks. Fact of the matter is that the entry level raids are set up to be done in the heroic blues. I may look into some of the BS crafted items once prices drop a bit but as far as the profession goes, I am seriously considering dropping engineering sadly.
    I maxed engineering on two characters, and since then I have dropped it on both. I was sad putting my teleporters, jeeves, and my other stuff away. I can't say I regret it though. So far I picked up LW on one, and BS on another. The extra sockets are nice, and the bs stuff is selling unlike my engineering scopes and guns. With LW it's much the same but the bonuses to wrist are just amazing compared to the wrist enchants. There is no way in hell it won't be nerfed.