Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Can we please SEE who bans/warns us?

I'd love to give insightful messages to Mods and tips for the future (such as: a smiley face means the message was said in a happy and not angry tone) but I cannot because of the silly Scrapbot. So...yeah...plans? Or is that feature too abusable and 90% of the peeps who get warned will just YELL REALLY ANGRILY at their banner/warner?

15+ Year Old Account
    The system is set up to protect the mods from flaming I believe. If you have an issue with an infraction you can defiantly PM and Admin. In general if you receive a warning, figure out where you went wrong and don't do it again. If you have a question then, again, PM an admin. You can also look at the specific forum mods and ask them if the issue isn't critical.

Discussion about mod actions should definitely go straight to an admin in all seriousness. Otherwise, there's no real need for a user to know who banned them, and so they don't.

So basically you wrote a short message that would be considered rude but added a smiley message to change the tone? Yeah, no.

Unfortunately with 100 random posters with mod privileges running around inconsistant enforcement of the "rules" happens on a daily basis. It would be far better if all banned posts had a "User was banned for this post" and a report button so that senior admins could see which moderators are banning people just because they like to swing the hammer.

<Super Moderator Edit: The moderators and the super moderators and the admins ALL see who banned people. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are systems already in place.>
    Last edited by mmoca7472cd2b9; 2011-01-03 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    [...] is that feature too abusable [...]
    This. Even your first sentence can be picked up either way. If I were modding, I'd consider all factors before making a decision, and wouldn't appreciate insightful messages and tips for the future from whoever I warned or banned. I would assume the mods here are the same.

Also, I often put smiley faces in if I'd be saying things in a condescending tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Discussion about mod actions should definitely go straight to an admin in all seriousness. Otherwise, there's no real need for a user to know who banned them, and so they don't.
    Gotta say, fan of this, and I love mmo-champ forums for a reason. Encounters of flaming mods as seen on the "mainland" forums gets really bad and ultimately detracts. The appeals process is rather quick, and I'm grateful for that, as I once got something of an accidental ban for thread necro, but upon appeal, taken care of quick and able to see it was just a mistake.

Keep up the moderation, guys!

And aside from what is already posted, Boub himself has said if you think there's any real major problem you're having, you can always detail it to him (though that should never be necessary)

10+ Year Old Account

Arrow

People are always upset at those that police the general public.

No surprise there.

Letting a banned person... see who banned them is an awful idea and under malicious circumstances a potentially dangerous one.

I'm all for an e-mail saying "You were banned for (insert post link here). Feel free to contact waaambulance@MMO-Champion.com if you feel this to be an error, etc."

Since I can't about particulars here, a friend was IP and account banned here the day Cataclysm was announced, for something that was a misunderstanding. Of course he was pissed. He was diluting the situation, not mixing it up (I'll let him chime in if he pops on tonight). But presenting the case in one e-mail got the users account back. Very easy.

That in itself calls shenanigans on the "100 random mods running around banning people" comment that someone made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    Unfortunately with 100 random posters with mod privileges running around inconsistant enforcement of the "rules" happens on a daily basis.
    Keep in mind that different sub-forums have different rules. I would refer to the stickys in each forum you decide to post in.

It would be far better if all banned posts had a "User was banned for this post" and a report button so that senior admins could see which moderators are banning people just because they like to swing the hammer.
    There is already a system in place. I assure you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately with 100 random posters with mod privileges running around inconsistant enforcement of the "rules" happens on a daily basis. It would be far better if all banned posts had a "User was banned for this post" and a report button so that senior admins could see which moderators are banning people just because they like to swing the hammer.
    I support the "User was banned for this post" and "User was warned for this post" messages and will continue to.

I'd love to give insightful messages to Mods and tips for the future (such as: a smiley face means the message was said in a happy and not angry tone) but I cannot because of the silly Scrapbot. So...yeah...plans? Or is that feature too abusable and 90% of the peeps who get warned will just YELL REALLY ANGRILY at their banner/warner?
    As for the topic at hand, I have no problems revealing that I was the one who gave you the warning you are referring to, Bombkirby.

That said, I still support the system of anonymity given to moderation here. Some moderators would like to just make the community a better place without having to deal with angry forum posts from ban evaders targeted at them.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-12-18 at 09:58 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Some mods are well... how you can put it... trigger happy. One time they will ban you for one thing that isnt really ban issue (and call it something like "minor spam" which isnt even in the forum rules, but whatever ) and few other people (in same thread and same thing) they wont. And ban appeals... forget bout those, just sit your timeout out - co-mate protection is on the run.
    Scrapbot is there so you cant flame the hell out of them and tbh I kinda agree with it being there, but they are easly catchable if you wanna QQ @ them, since they usually post in same thread anyway.

Anyway you can see in your profile for what you were banned exactly with a mod comment - I know it from self experience .

15+ Year Old Account
    I remember when I got banned like 6 months ago. No email, no reason. Luckily an email to Boub sorted it out. There should be some sort of system like EJ have with "The Banhammer" topic.
    Ghostcrawler - "Dear OP, Bye. Hugs, GC."
    Hunter S. Thompson - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    Lore - "There's a time and place for serious face. There's a time and place for ... other face."
    Scrapbot - "Dear frogi, You have received an infraction at MMO-Champion." Banned on Christmas Day 2010.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Some mods are well... how you can put it... trigger happy. One time they will ban you for one thing that isnt really ban issue (and call it something like "minor spam" which isnt even in the forum rules, but whatever ) and few other people (in same thread and same thing) they wont. And ban appeals... forget bout those, just sit your timeout out - co-mate protection is on the run.
    Scrapbot is there so you cant flame the hell out of them and tbh I kinda agree with it being there, but they are easly catchable if you wanna QQ @ them, since they usually post in same thread anyway.

Anyway you can see in your profile for what you were banned exactly with a mod comment - I know it from self experience .
    While it is true that we aren't all clones, we try to be consistent. Yes, it's possible I may warn for a comment that somebody else may ban for or vice versa, but we all understand and follow the same rules.

And because we aren't all clones, ban appeals actually are very worthwhile. We argue constantly over ban appeals, and in rare cases, we even have to delay giving a response to the user because the appeal is being so heavily debated that we can't reach a consensus.

Bans are overturned and/or reduced through appeals all the time, and a moderator can see this easily looking through the infraction history of posters daily. I see "Reversed" on bans and infractions quite often. Longer bans are appealed successfully more often than shorter bans though. If you get a 3-day ban for spamming, most of the appeal comments are going to be like "Well, they were spamming and it is only 3 days". If you get a 2-week ban for calling somebody an idiot, there is a large chance that an appeal could reduce that ban length down some.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-12-18 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    While it is true that we aren't all clones, we try to be consistent. Yes, it's possible I may warn for a comment that somebody else may ban for or vice versa, but we all understand and follow the same rules.

And because we aren't all clones, ban appeals actually are very worthwhile. We argue constantly over ban appeals, and in rare cases, we even have to delay giving a response to the user because the appeal is being so heavily debated that we can't reach a consensus.

Bans are overturned through appeals all the time, and a moderator can see this easily looking through the infraction history of posters daily. I see "Reversed" on bans and infractions quite often.
    Then this means that higher-up mods need to instruct their co-mods bit more on what is more towards warning and whats towards a ban.
    Especially if you claim there is a lot of reversed bans. I hope you understand what I mean - reversed ban = moderator was wrong, user was right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Then this means that higher-up mods need to instruct their co-mods bit more on what is more towards warning and whats towards a ban.
    Especially if you claim there is a lot of reversed bans. I hope you understand what I mean - reversed ban = moderator was wrong, user was right.
    It's a very grey line is the issue. Warnings are entirely optional in our system and are therefore left to moderator discretion. The old forum system we used didn't even have warnings. 3-day bans were warnings. We are trying somewhat to increase the frequency in which warnings are given. (Obviously, some is better than none under the old system)

As for reversed bans, I should have clarified. There are few reversed bans. However, reduced bans are somewhat more common. Like if somebody gets a 2-week ban for Flaming for calling somebody a moron in more than one way, they may be able to appeal and get it reduced to Trolling (1-week ban) or even Forbidden Topics (3-day ban) if it was really light. Of course, this depends entirely on the circumstances, which are always changing.

While a system where everything is perfectly consistent would be ideal, it is, frankly, impossible. We'd have to have a set of rules so perfect like "Calling somebody an idiot once = warning, Two times in one post = Forbidden topics ban, three times in one post = trolling"
    "Calling somebody retarded = warning, freaking retarded = Forbidden topics ban, -cursing- retarded = trolling"
    And so on.

We're all basically on the same page, and if we do make a mistake (we are human), that is the entire purpose of ban appeals. The fellow moderators will come in and say, hey wait, you were wrong here, this guy's ban should just be a warning, and then that moderator will know in the future how to better moderate.
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-12-18 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    It's a very grey line is the issue. Warnings are entirely optional in our system and are therefore left to moderator discretion. The old forum system we used didn't even have warnings. 3-day bans were warnings.

We are trying somewhat to increase the frequency in which warnings are given. (Obviously, some is better than none under the old system)
    I know its a very grey line, but some at times are may be absurd (but if a user any history its just "let him sit it out!") and shouldnt have happend in the first place. Anyway wont prologue this, cause I see we both understand it very well (I do same thing elsewhere myself and it blows to always needing to be the "right" guy in many occasions). Cheers.

Trust me, I watch all of the regular mods for this kind of behavior. And the admins watch me. If you disagree with the admins, well, can't really help you with that myself. I got yelled at twice this week, mistakes happen, they're all chances to learn and grow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh you know the easiest thing to do? Just don't say anything that could cause a moderator to feel the need that a ban is needed. This is the internet, posting on these forums has no affect on real life (barring like threatening to hunt somebody down etc) If your feelings get hurt a little bit, let it go, or provide a well thought out, and researched response. I love seeing people posting "You're just stupid" or my altime favorite, "Whatever, you're a f**" (as a gay man I crack up every time I see this. I've been posting for about a month now, reading for the past 2+ years and never once have I said, or felt the need to say something bannable. Common sense, and patience. If you wouldn't say it to your boss or a collegue (spelling?) don't say it on the forums.... Easy as that!

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with keeping the mod who dropped the ban hammer out of the picture. Flames are evil and annoying.

Besides, don't the mods all know who banned who? (do you?) If a mod truely made a bad decision they have their co-moderators to contend with. If they all agree with the ban, then yes you obviously did something kinda stupid. Deal with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the kins man View Post
    Ahhh you know the easiest thing to do? Just don't say anything that could cause a moderator to feel the need that a ban is needed. This is the internet, posting on these forums has no affect on real life (barring like threatening to hunt somebody down etc) If your feelings get hurt a little bit, let it go, or provide a well thought out, and researched response.
    Or better yet, make our lives 10x easier and click the report post button that is at the bottom right corner of each and every post. Its the triangle with the exclamation point. This is always better than responding to people who are trolling or flaming.

I also encourage everyone to really think about what they are posting. Make sure it is constructive and on topic. 99.5% of the posts are great. It's not as if there is an epidemic of bad posters.