Chaotic skyflare diamonds

Does anyone know if the old chaotic skyflare diamonds work with cata level gear? Strikes me as strange that blizz would allow us to use the old meta gems while requiring us to use the updated eternal belt buckles on new gear.

I put my belt buckle on my belt before the change, and the gem is still there. The old gems still work cause there no limit that I know of on how low of a gem you can put in gear.

[18:23:11] [Nifredil] confesses: I once punched a gnome. No reason. I was just having a bad day.

yeah you can still use old metas from BC too, but why would you use gems that have less than half the value of the new ones?

Yeah, the effect is still the same on all meta gems, but the combat ratings/stats it provides is a lot less if you go with WotLK and lower ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothtrooper View Post
    yeah you can still use old metas from BC too, but why would you use gems that have less than half the value of the new ones?
    because you have other requirements on the new ones and the new ones cost 5 times as much. why waste 800g on a blue helmet if 200 are enough?
    at least from a tanking point of view: you take the meta because of 2% armor and not 32 stamina. also how much is 700HP if you have 160k in a raid? NOT MUCH thats what it is. Blizzard needs to make the new metas more interesting rather than just increasing the secondary reason for those gems. how about 2% armor and a chance to increase magic resistance for 3 seconds after getting hit by a magic spell that didnt get mitigated by resistances? some thing like that although this example is horribly flawed

Quote Originally Posted by jman101 View Post
    Strikes me as strange that blizz would allow us to use the old meta gems while requiring us to use the updated eternal belt buckles on new gear.
    Because if you use the old meta, you have less stats on it. Lower price+Lower stats= balanced.
    If you use the old buckle, you still can put new gems into it. Lower price+ Same stats = not balanced.