Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use to use X-PERL, because it was just a nice skin for the standard frames. Since Blizzard changed the raid frames, though, I use absolutely zero AddOns whatsoever. The new frames are better than any AddOn I've ever seen/used. I heal, tank, dps and I use standard frames for it all.

Elysia's epic sig skillz

Ive had some great healers healing addonless in raids and dungeons. For me however, healbot is my favourite, and it made me think healing was fun. Sure, its clunky in 25+ man raiding, but i dont mind really. Its made my life a lot easier, and its easy to set up and learn. One just need a few runs to get the mousebutton binds worked into the muscle memory. I think it makes my healing flow a lot better.

Had to go back to Grid after first raid :| Default Blizzard frames just simply don't show all the necessary debuffs on targets. I mean this debuff, to be specific.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to use healbot, but when they came out with new raid frames, it just became a waste of memory.

I tried using such a tool, and found that it was lacking, in my opinion.

I use X-Perl for raid frames. It shows me hot counters, hot timers, incoming heals, buff outlines, all kinds of nice things.

For my heals I use custom-made macros to fit my needs and my playstyle.

Custom solutions will win out over premade addons every time, but have a higher learning curve.

My suggestion is this: start with what feels most appropriate to you, then customize it to fit your needs.

15+ Year Old Account
    i use grid, but i dont use clique or any addons like that. I'm using mouse-over macros on pretty much all my spells

Quote Originally Posted by Modify View Post
    i use grid, but i dont use clique or any addons like that. I'm using mouse-over macros on pretty much all my spells
    Mouse-over macros are also something your mileage will vary on. I heal with people that swear by them, but for me, I prefer the extra mobility and situational awareness afforded by only having to have my mouse over something for long enough to click the raid-frame.

It's a personal preference, try out both and find what you prefer.

I use Grid with Mouse Over macro's it's really really helpfull

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    I use to use X-PERL, because it was just a nice skin for the standard frames. Since Blizzard changed the raid frames, though, I use absolutely zero AddOns whatsoever. The new frames are better than any AddOn I've ever seen/used. I heal, tank, dps and I use standard frames for it all.
    i feel the same

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerOnly View Post
    Mouse-over macros are also something your mileage will vary on. I heal with people that swear by them, but for me, I prefer the extra mobility and situational awareness afforded by only having to have my mouse over something for long enough to click the raid-frame.

It's a personal preference, try out both and find what you prefer.

once you've started the move-over cast you can move your mouse aswell so it's really the same thing except i press my binds instead of the mouse

I have a resto druid and disc priest (BC. Havent leveled them yet.)

I don't like clicking raid frames to heal. I like having the main tank as my target, and offtank as my focus that way I can always make sure I can take care of him when needed. I like to run light because if addons break (new patch day) I don't like having to be reliant on them to play. I can't live without decursive though.

I use mouseover maccros dawg, try usin em. I dont use grid or voodoo. I keeep the tank as my target and rarely ever have to switch, xpearl tells me which party members have hots on em. Then just mouseover.

Works best in pvp or even world pvp when you dont have raidframes to heal. I can heal like a champ without having party frames. Just mouseover!

But honestly healing is like Putting in Golf. Everyone does it differently. It what "feels" the most comfortable will give you the success. And for me its Mouseover maccros.

I heal without any addons at all. And i can heal just fine, in my 330 gear with pvp spec.

No healing add-ons. I tried them and couldn't use them. I use blizzard's frames to great efficiency. I was never in an especially high level 25 man guild, but I healed enough 25 mans and every 10 man to death. I performed well enough in 25 mans, near too healing always despite being undergeared. And always top healing in 10 mans.

I feel that I have control over my heals when I target-cast. I can't do any of this mouse clicking on a frame to cast a heal. People say they waste time clicking and then casting, well guess what. Ur doin it rong.

I use VuhDo and love it.

I can for sure heal without any addons, have done many a raids, but I feel more comfortable with my VuhDo. It's a all a matter of preferences.

For me it's mainly because I like to look at something pretty while I raid. Not a single thing in my UI is standard as I think it's ugly as hell. So I've spent a good 4 hours+ to make it not hurt my eyes. I spent several hours a week looking at it, so I would really prefer something nice to look at. And the fact that VuhDo has so many other great options that makes me healing life easier is just icing on the cake

I have been using grid for a long time with a resto druid, disc priest and resto shamy. I normally decurse and bind 1 heal on the mouse with clique , the rest i just use the numbers in the keybord. click + modifiers have never workrd well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdLady68 View Post
    It's hard for me to use add ons like Grid, Clique and Healbot. I simply forget the CTRL modifier or it takes too much time to set up and I grow impatient. I'm middle aged woman with a lot on my mind. But I also feel there's a lot of time wasted Locating the Target that is losing health by the mouse moving over to their frame, clicking on them and then either back to click on the heal or by pressing the number. Then again, I'm an old person without the quick reflexes of a early 20 year old or teenager. So I was looking for a Healing add on and I found Healium. The people you are grouped with are all in one local area on your screen (movable) and you assign your classes healing spells on a small bar. When the person needs a heal you just click the button of the heal on the person's bar. There's also a Built in range finder, shows CDs. You can expand the bar from a 5 man group to 40 man BG raid. I haven't had time to heal a dungeon or raid yet with it but I did heal a 10 man BG on my Priest earlier today and found it very easy to use. Very Nice, so far.
    Ver?! OMGAH!

Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post

The Blizzard raid UI is actually pretty good since it was updated. But no real progressive raider will use it and only it.
    Not true, your "reaction" time is still limited by global cooldowns.

I used to use mouse over macros till i ran out of macro slots, then i started using clique with the default frames.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, anyone who tells you that the only way to heal is with healbot/clique/mouseover style is being narrow minded because there are as many arguments against that method as there are for it.

I despise click or mouseover healing because it forces your cursor to be on the target's unit frame the exact moment you want to cast the heal, no sooner and no later or else you either have to wait there or you were too late and had dead time after a GCD. What if at the instant your GCD is free and you are able to cast, you need to move and want to mouse turn or look behind you? You can't because your mouse is stuck hovering over your unit frame to click-heal. I don't like having my cursor forced to be at a certain place at a time that is beyond my control. Also what if you are chain healing one target like spamming the tank? Do you really want to keep your cursor in one place the whole time? What if you want to adjust your camera and swing it around to see what's behind you or up in the air to see something raining down from the sky? (like the infernals on Prince Malchezzar) You pretty much don't have the freedom to use your mouse for anything else if you are a clique/mouseover healer. Sure it's one less action when you are healing multiple targets, but I strongly dislike the way it constricts your cursor positioning and your eyes to your little box of 10 or 25 bars every instant that the GCD is up.

I use the default raid frames now that they give a lot of useful information such as incoming heals, hot timers and buff display, debuff display, range indicator, class colors, mana bars, etc. I also supplement this with decursive for efficient cleansing, and I get any other useful information that I need from Quartz, PowerAuras Classic, and SexyCooldowns. I have the raid boss set as my focus so I can see what's going on with his health percentage and his buffs. To heal I click someones box in the raid frames to target them, and then I cast the heal with my other hand by pressing keys, with the most often being 1-5.

I choose when my cursor is over the unit frame, and I have the whole duration of my GCD or cast time to choose my next target. My mouse is not bound to that location because once I have selected my next target and I'm waiting for my GCD to finish, my keyboard hand controls the cast at the appropriate time (GCD up) while my mouse is free to do things like adjusting the camera, turning my character or even moving him if I'm using instant casts (resto druid here), or to click around to various targets to see their unit portrait for whatever reason.
    There is no reaction time issue because my key press to heal when the GCD is up is the exact same as someone else's mouse click. However, the difference is my cursor has freedom while theirs is bound to the unit frames box. If I'm healing the same target for the next few seconds all I have to do is press a few numbers on my keyboard and my mouse is free the whole time to do other things.

Some side information:
    >I can still use my WASD just fine while I'm pressing my typical heal keys and I can heal with instant casts while running all over the room and turning my camera all over the place without stopping and without missing a GCD. Mouseover healers can't usually do that, and I've noticed they tend to stand in fire more often or be less aware of their raid surroundings are a result.
    >I've always been the top healer in my guild, not just on the silly meters, but there are much less deaths and wipes when I'm healing. My healing style is definitely not putting me at a disadvantage like so many of the clique/healbot-nazi's would have us believe. There are many people who think everyone who doesn't do the exact same thing that they do is a fail scrub bad nub.
    >If you get a mouse with a lot of buttons like the Steelseries WoW mouse or the Razor Naga, then you can set up both methods and alternate between them for whichever is most convenient in each situation. Your left click can still be use just to target the character from their unit frame so that you can use the keyboard press to cast on target method, but you can also bind all the extra mouse buttons to mouseover heal casting so you can use clique-style when you prefer to do that. (which is probably in situations where you are blanketing the raid with HoTs or PW:S, although this isn't as common anymore because we have more time between spells these days in Cataclysm healing compared to the WotLK fast cast heal spam era.)