Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ...
22
30
31
32
33
34
42
... LastLast
  1. #621
    Its nice to see work on this is still being done. The Ulduar sub structure and the roots of the failed world tree, really help to tie the stories that i feel were to disconnected in wrath.

  2. #622
    Keyboard Turner KingAelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3
    I must say, I'm absolutely thoroughly impressed by your expansion concept for Azjol-Nerub. =)
    Being a huge fan of Northrend and Azjol-Nerub in particular (I was furious when Blizz shrunk it to a two-room dungeon), the idea of this expansion sits well with me indeed!

    However, I myself have had quite a few ideas and suggestions I would like to put forward to you if you would consider listening to them? =)
    If you'd rather this project remained your own personal idea then I'm quite happy to keep my thoughts to myself but I had thought of a fair few ways to build on this expansion concept.

    Do let me know what you think and if you're willing to look over my list of suggestions (baring in mind of course that you need not take any of them onboard).

    Also, where did you learn to make zone maps like that and what did you use to make them? I've looked on google but can't seem to find anything.
    Last edited by KingAelle; 2012-11-14 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Additional question

  3. #623
    Bloodsail Admiral NSrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    tdb
    Posts
    1,131
    i hate the idea of rewamping. We saw it failing brutaly in Cata, why do this to outlands or northren.. . no ... no way , i saw. Also the name "Spider Kingdom" sounds very corny and not at all good.


    Other than that, i' like it. The idea of an expansion evolving around what we saw in wotlk in the Azjol-Nerub instances, i like that alot! Though i belive they should have a continent of their own, and that the name of the expansion would be something else than "Spider Kingdom".

    How about "The Nerubian Empire" ?

  4. #624
    Hello, old thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Amazing stuff, I remember back in 2010 when you started this thread!
    Ye gods, it has been a while, hasn't it. Really need to wrap this sucker up before I do a second b-day graphic. Almost ready for the last few updates...

    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I don't usually post in threads started in 2010 but since it got resurrected yesterday and I'd never actually perused through it, I'll congratulate you on the work you put into it. It's a fun read. Since I'm something of an arachnophobe, it's probably not 100% my cup of tea but all said, it's pretty cool.

    You know, Greg Street [Ghostcrawler] got his start in the business by including an Age of Empires scenario he designed with his resume. It happens.

    Best to you.
    I do actually have a sweet gig doing some fun stuff (check out the ol' sig), so who knows, but that one day...

    Quote Originally Posted by KingAelle View Post
    I must say, I'm absolutely thoroughly impressed by your expansion concept for Azjol-Nerub. =)
    Being a huge fan of Northrend and Azjol-Nerub in particular (I was furious when Blizz shrunk it to a two-room dungeon), the idea of this expansion sits well with me indeed!
    I'm glad it resonates.

    However, I myself have had quite a few ideas and suggestions I would like to put forward to you if you would consider listening to them? =)
    If you'd rather this project remained your own personal idea then I'm quite happy to keep my thoughts to myself but I had thought of a fair few ways to build on this expansion concept.

    Do let me know what you think and if you're willing to look over my list of suggestions (baring in mind of course that you need not take any of them onboard).
    Fire away. You can post 'em here if you like or shoot me a PM.

    Also, where did you learn to make zone maps like that and what did you use to make them? I've looked on google but can't seem to find anything.
    Page 30, my good man!

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...concept/page30


    Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    i hate the idea of rewamping. We saw it failing brutaly in Cata, why do this to outlands or northren.. . no ... no way , i saw. Also the name "Spider Kingdom" sounds very corny and not at all good.


    Other than that, i' like it. The idea of an expansion evolving around what we saw in wotlk in the Azjol-Nerub instances, i like that alot! Though i belive they should have a continent of their own, and that the name of the expansion would be something else than "Spider Kingdom".

    How about "The Nerubian Empire" ?
    I would probably give the re-vamping a pass myself if this were a genuine developed project - personally, I just wanted to have some fun advancing the storyline and lead into the high-level stuff. All of the Twilight's Hammer story elements could probably be squeezed into some kind of pre-expac event, or told entirely within the revamped ICC dungeons.

    But the name will forever remain Spider Kingdom! Even the nerubians call it that! "By Nerub! For the Spider Kingdom!"
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2012-11-15 at 03:00 AM.

  5. #625
    Keyboard Turner KingAelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3
    Well like I said, you needn't take any of these concepts on board but it might be helpful to give them a little consideration (I also grant that some of these alterations may seem a little drastic):

    Rebranding:
    Like many others in this thread, I too share the sentiment that 'World of Wacraft: The Spider Kingdom' is a relatively weightless name and one that does not sit well on the ear. However, to introduce the main antagonist element I wished to suggest, let me put forward the name 'World of Warcraft: Rise of the Underking'
    This name fits well with the concept of the Nerubian expansion and also allows me to introduce the expansion's primary antagonist..

    Anub'Arak
    Though many before sought to slay the mighty tomb king, he could not be so easily defeated. Maddened by the silence that befell him falling Arthas' fall, he began to retreat further back in to his dreaded city of the spider. There in the cavernous deeps, he headed the call of a new voice. One that was only just awakening, one who's hour of twilight yet lay before it. Strengthened by necrotic magic and twisted by the Twilight's Hammer's evil magic, Anub'Arak has become a paragon of the dark powers that dwell in Azjol-Nerub.

    New Race: Vrykul
    Following the rise of the Lich King, the dark lord of the dead sought control of the mighty Vrykul people, appearing before the mighty King Ymiron as the Death God of their kind. Despite this sudden enthralment of the ancient, reawakened Vrykul, there were some who rejected this new deity of darkness. Vidar Ymironson, son of the king and of Queen Angerboda, opposed the Lich King and his sway and was exiled for it.
    Exiled from his people's ancestral home of the Howling Fjord, Vidar and his Varghelm followers fled outwardly across the sea. Discovering an island uninhabited (save for a few Naga) far off the coast of Kalimdor, he and his people settled there. Naming the island 'Vygarm', Vidar prepares from his island hold to retake Utgarde Keep by force and overthrow the rule of the Lich King and his puppet Ymiron forever.
    Classes Available:
    -Warrior
    -Hunter
    -Rogue
    -Priest
    -Shaman
    -Mage
    -Warlock

    Racial Abilities:
    -Forgemaster: Blacksmithing skill increased by 15.
    -Heart of the Fjord: Reduces the duration of all freeze effects by 1 sec.
    -Rune of Victory: Cast a runic spell, increasing energy, focus and mana regeneration by 20% for 7 seconds. (30min cooldown)
    -Rebel: Increases resistance to charm and fear effects.

    New 1-10 questing experience: Vygarm
    As one of the Varghelm Vrykul, it falls to your character to bolster the strength of Vidar's forces and retake the Howling Fjord for your worthy clan. Vygarm is an island of dark and sombre character, enveloped in a thin mist (almost reminiscent of Gilneas in some ways).
    Regions and Activity:
    1-5 Varghelm Village - You begin in Varghelm Village, among a crowd of Vrykul as Vidar gives an inspirational speech about the future of your people and your rightiousness and worthiness. You then descover that the coastal village is in fact under attack by Naga who have swum ashore in droves. Completing the 1-5 quest chain, Vidar will send you to Varghelm Keep in the center of the island.
    5-8 Varghelm Keep & Vygarm - The majority of your questing would take place on Vygarm's mainland, completing a number of tasks and facing a number of enemies. After completing a triggering quest at level 8 however, a cutseen plays where you see a Horde gunship fly overhead, under attack by swarms of Nerubian Flyers and Dwarven Gryphonriders (who are also trying to fight off the Nerubians) before being brought down. You are sent to investigate.
    8-9 Wildhammer Camp - Heading to the Wildhammer Camp, you meet with Biran Ironfeather who tells you of uncovering of Azjol-Nerub and the dangers that have amassed in the north. The Dwarves there send you on a small number of quests.
    9-10 Warsong Gunship Wreckage After heading back to Varghelm Keep, you meet with an Orc who sends you to the Warsong Gunship Wreckage. There you meet Nazgrel, who too was headed for Northrend. After completing the quest chain, ending with a big battle against a Nerubian Crypt Lord, Vidar meets with you and tells you that the Varghelm will need the Horde and Alliance's aid if they are to combat both the Vrykul and the Nerubians. You are then given the option to join the Alliance or Horde, much in the same way the Pandaren are.

    Pit of Narjun
    Though I do like your alterations to Northrend, I felt too much was taken away and not enough was added if you get me? =)
    Therefore, rather than expanding the pit, I would introduce the Gate of Narjun, a Nerubian arch that leads in to...

    Azjol-Anak: The New Kingdom
    Aided by brave adventurers, Seer Ixit and his brave, still-living Nerubians have reclaimed a small portion of the upper kingdom. Fortifying their position and naming it 'Azjol-Anak: The New Kingdom', they now stand as a front to Anub'Arak and his twisted army of Crypt Fiends and Twilight's Hammer Cultists.
    Azjol-Anak will act as a new Neutral Capital and end-game questing hub for level 90-93 players, including justice vendors etc.




    Well here are just some of my ideas, do let me know what you think of any of them =)

  6. #626
    Bloodsail Admiral Alanar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Close to you..
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by KingAelle View Post
    Well like I said, you needn't take any of these concepts on board but it might be helpful to give them a little consideration (I also grant that some of these alterations may seem a little drastic):

    Rebranding:
    Like many others in this thread, I too share the sentiment that 'World of Wacraft: The Spider Kingdom' is a relatively weightless name and one that does not sit well on the ear. However, to introduce the main antagonist element I wished to suggest, let me put forward the name 'World of Warcraft: Rise of the Underking'
    This name fits well with the concept of the Nerubian expansion and also allows me to introduce the expansion's primary antagonist..

    Anub'Arak
    Though many before sought to slay the mighty tomb king, he could not be so easily defeated. Maddened by the silence that befell him falling Arthas' fall, he began to retreat further back in to his dreaded city of the spider. There in the cavernous deeps, he headed the call of a new voice. One that was only just awakening, one who's hour of twilight yet lay before it. Strengthened by necrotic magic and twisted by the Twilight's Hammer's evil magic, Anub'Arak has become a paragon of the dark powers that dwell in Azjol-Nerub.

    New Race: Vrykul
    Following the rise of the Lich King, the dark lord of the dead sought control of the mighty Vrykul people, appearing before the mighty King Ymiron as the Death God of their kind. Despite this sudden enthralment of the ancient, reawakened Vrykul, there were some who rejected this new deity of darkness. Vidar Ymironson, son of the king and of Queen Angerboda, opposed the Lich King and his sway and was exiled for it.
    Exiled from his people's ancestral home of the Howling Fjord, Vidar and his Varghelm followers fled outwardly across the sea. Discovering an island uninhabited (save for a few Naga) far off the coast of Kalimdor, he and his people settled there. Naming the island 'Vygarm', Vidar prepares from his island hold to retake Utgarde Keep by force and overthrow the rule of the Lich King and his puppet Ymiron forever.
    Classes Available:
    -Warrior
    -Hunter
    -Rogue
    -Priest
    -Shaman
    -Mage
    -Warlock

    Racial Abilities:
    -Forgemaster: Blacksmithing skill increased by 15.
    -Heart of the Fjord: Reduces the duration of all freeze effects by 1 sec.
    -Rune of Victory: Cast a runic spell, increasing energy, focus and mana regeneration by 20% for 7 seconds. (30min cooldown)
    -Rebel: Increases resistance to charm and fear effects.

    New 1-10 questing experience: Vygarm
    As one of the Varghelm Vrykul, it falls to your character to bolster the strength of Vidar's forces and retake the Howling Fjord for your worthy clan. Vygarm is an island of dark and sombre character, enveloped in a thin mist (almost reminiscent of Gilneas in some ways).
    Regions and Activity:
    1-5 Varghelm Village - You begin in Varghelm Village, among a crowd of Vrykul as Vidar gives an inspirational speech about the future of your people and your rightiousness and worthiness. You then descover that the coastal village is in fact under attack by Naga who have swum ashore in droves. Completing the 1-5 quest chain, Vidar will send you to Varghelm Keep in the center of the island.
    5-8 Varghelm Keep & Vygarm - The majority of your questing would take place on Vygarm's mainland, completing a number of tasks and facing a number of enemies. After completing a triggering quest at level 8 however, a cutseen plays where you see a Horde gunship fly overhead, under attack by swarms of Nerubian Flyers and Dwarven Gryphonriders (who are also trying to fight off the Nerubians) before being brought down. You are sent to investigate.
    8-9 Wildhammer Camp - Heading to the Wildhammer Camp, you meet with Biran Ironfeather who tells you of uncovering of Azjol-Nerub and the dangers that have amassed in the north. The Dwarves there send you on a small number of quests.
    9-10 Warsong Gunship Wreckage After heading back to Varghelm Keep, you meet with an Orc who sends you to the Warsong Gunship Wreckage. There you meet Nazgrel, who too was headed for Northrend. After completing the quest chain, ending with a big battle against a Nerubian Crypt Lord, Vidar meets with you and tells you that the Varghelm will need the Horde and Alliance's aid if they are to combat both the Vrykul and the Nerubians. You are then given the option to join the Alliance or Horde, much in the same way the Pandaren are.

    Pit of Narjun
    Though I do like your alterations to Northrend, I felt too much was taken away and not enough was added if you get me? =)
    Therefore, rather than expanding the pit, I would introduce the Gate of Narjun, a Nerubian arch that leads in to...

    Azjol-Anak: The New Kingdom
    Aided by brave adventurers, Seer Ixit and his brave, still-living Nerubians have reclaimed a small portion of the upper kingdom. Fortifying their position and naming it 'Azjol-Anak: The New Kingdom', they now stand as a front to Anub'Arak and his twisted army of Crypt Fiends and Twilight's Hammer Cultists.
    Azjol-Anak will act as a new Neutral Capital and end-game questing hub for level 90-93 players, including justice vendors etc.




    Well here are just some of my ideas, do let me know what you think of any of them =)
    I always wanted to play the Vrukyl.. but i think this is a hordes race only for some reason.. they hate the humans with passion, i understand the feel like the pandaren joining both factions. But i dont like them in a alliance camp.

    And ofc a 30 min cd on a racial is absurd ;p

  7. #627
    I haven't read the whole thread but I'm liking the concept so far, and I think that there is actually a big chance we could visit the underworld beneath Northrend (expanding it into a whole subterranean continent hopefully.). Can I ask what you used to make the amazing zone maps? I've been looking for a site to make custom wow maps for a few weeks now but the only one I can find is under maintenance.

  8. #628
    :O Very good idea! Just one more suggestion: necromancer class please!


  9. #629
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    i hate the idea of rewamping. We saw it failing brutaly in Cata, why do this to outlands or northren.. . no ... no way , i saw. Also the name "Spider Kingdom" sounds very corny and not at all good.


    Other than that, i' like it. The idea of an expansion evolving around what we saw in wotlk in the Azjol-Nerub instances, i like that alot! Though i belive they should have a continent of their own, and that the name of the expansion would be something else than "Spider Kingdom".

    How about "The Nerubian Empire" ?
    A little off-topic but I disagree with your assessment of zone revamps. Cata had enormous potential and the revamp was the central feature of that. It failed because blizzard bit off more than they could chew, and there was little incentive for higher levels to go to the revamped zones, meaning less polish on the high level content. Just revamping a Outland and/or Northrend wouldn't be as much work, and Blizzard is hopefully smart enough to make the revamped continents part of the high level content.

  10. #630
    Well, this is a nice little treat to stumble upon after just registering. I really like what I'm reading, Golden Yak. These are some extremely good ideas. I particularly like Path of War system for leveling, though truthfully I don't get the feeling it offers much in the way of customization since all classes and specs are locked into three definite paths. (At least, that's how I interpreted it. :/) That said, I like how the paths are based on questing, PvP, and PvE. That's just a cool concept to me.

    Oh, and your maps are lovely. Quite the cartographer, you are.

  11. #631
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    Well I sure ain't gonna waste time in Congratulating you because it is commonly accepted as a good work. I myself am quite the helpless believer and I have my own ideas for what I think would be the bestest xpack adventureland thrillshows =^). And because of the thorough presentation u put the only thing I find missing is a class. So, of all the classes that come to ur mind, what is it u feel would best fit ur work? I already made 5 that u can see in my sig but if u would like another one I can do another. It would b most fun =)

  12. #632
    Quote Originally Posted by KingAelle View Post
    Well like I said, you needn't take any of these concepts on board but it might be helpful to give them a little consideration (I also grant that some of these alterations may seem a little drastic):
    Let it never be said that I cannot take the slightest criticism without giving it fair and due consideration in a calm and sanguine manner.

    Like many others in this thread, I too share the sentiment that 'World of Wacraft: The Spider Kingdom' is a relatively weightless name and one that does not sit well on the ear.
    (\°-°)\┬┬

    (╯°□°)╯ ┻┻

    Man, no one likes the name. Clearly, everyone is wrong except me. This is probably the last thing I'd change however - people have suggested some other decent titles, and I've considered some different ones of my own, even 'Rise of the Spider Kingdom'. Rise of the Etc. just seems too overused to me. You kids and your 'Revelations' and your 'Rises' and other 'R' words...

    I like 'The Spider Kingdom.' The nerubians say it in WC3 and it certainly sends chills down my spine.

    Anub'Arak
    How many times has the guy gotta die? While he never got the raid he deserved, I feel the amazing fight in TotC was a worthy send off. And he sort've fit thematically as the Lich King's then-ultimate champion.

    There's plenty of new kingly nerubians that will be acting as villains (including Anub'Arak's heir), so I doubt I'll bring the big bug himself back for more. Nerubians acting as the vessels for the fathomless evil power of the Old Gods is something there will be a lot of though...

    The major antagonist isn't really apparent I know, but he was built up over the course of the Northrend revamp storyline and he really takes off as the big bad over the course of the Spider Kingdom content. It's Xarosan, the bastard night elf twilight cultist with big plans, because I've always liked stories where the ultimate villain starts out as a second-rate mook and claws his way to the top of the world through sheer force of miserable, impersonal, nerve-sapping hatred. He's my 'Kefka'.

    Given time I'll be doing more stuff to show him off.

    New Race: Vrykul
    Yep, if I were to do a neutral race it would be these guys. Been thinking about 'em ever since the deal with the pandaren was revealed. I skipped over doing new races and classes because I wanted to focus purely on late-game content ideas, but there's definitely more stuff in store from Queen Angerboda and the vrykul, so a vrykul neutral race would have plenty to do even late game. Cool story idea too, it's pretty much exactly what Vidar did behind the scenes before his final showdown with Angerboda.

    Azjol-Anak: The New Kingdom
    Neat, but I've already got Doorward acting as the central city and the Sundered Monolith is where all the living nerubians are gonna be. Both will be of great importance to the storyline, especially Doorward. Having a friendly nerubian outpost on the surface isn't a bad idea though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Appel View Post
    I always wanted to play the Vrukyl.. but i think this is a hordes race only for some reason.. they hate the humans with passion, i understand the feel like the pandaren joining both factions. But i dont like them in a alliance camp.
    The Alliance is more than just humans (the forsaken aren't exactly loved by any of the Horde races), the vrykul respect strength, and Vidar's a very forward-thinking fellah. Honestly I'd see them as more Alliance than Horde, if I had to pick one faction to put them in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread but I'm liking the concept so far, and I think that there is actually a big chance we could visit the underworld beneath Northrend (expanding it into a whole subterranean continent hopefully.). Can I ask what you used to make the amazing zone maps? I've been looking for a site to make custom wow maps for a few weeks now but the only one I can find is under maintenance.
    I go over how I make the maps on page 30. See? If you'd read the whole thread you'd have known already! Shame on you! Read it again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elyssa View Post
    Well, this is a nice little treat to stumble upon after just registering. I really like what I'm reading, Golden Yak. These are some extremely good ideas. I particularly like Path of War system for leveling, though truthfully I don't get the feeling it offers much in the way of customization since all classes and specs are locked into three definite paths. (At least, that's how I interpreted it. :/) That said, I like how the paths are based on questing, PvP, and PvE. That's just a cool concept to me.
    Game mechanics are not my strong suit, so there may be problems with the Path of War I haven't counted on. It was made when Cata was still using the older talent system, but the new one in MoP is actually somewhat similar - you can select talents from three different choices to customize your capability in any spec. The Path of War would let you choose bonuses from any path - unlocking them in a specific way is the only restriction.

    Thanks for the kind words.

    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    :O Very good idea! Just one more suggestion: necromancer class please!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    Well I sure ain't gonna waste time in Congratulating you because it is commonly accepted as a good work. I myself am quite the helpless believer and I have my own ideas for what I think would be the bestest xpack adventureland thrillshows =^). And because of the thorough presentation u put the only thing I find missing is a class. So, of all the classes that come to ur mind, what is it u feel would best fit ur work? I already made 5 that u can see in my sig but if u would like another one I can do another. It would b most fun =)
    Ah, the class question. See my earlier comment about mechanics not being my strong suit! I actually did consider a necromancer class looong ago with a mechanic centered around a customizable Necronomicon, involving swapping out different pages to grant different abilities and upgrading it to hold more pages, using magic inks, etc. Also considered a Runemaster class, though monk and death knight have a lot of those bases covered (curses!).

    Demon Hunters would be cool, and it was suggested for this, but they just don't fit thematically. Save those guys for a Legion/Dream expansion, sez I!

    I won't stop anyone from posting anything they'd like to see - I just won't promise to use it either! Though I do like the Tinker idea.

  13. #633
    Impressive. Not sure I agree with an entire expansion based around it, but definitely a couple of zones would be nice.

    I'm a bit biased toward the Ethereals.

  14. #634
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I go over how I make the maps on page 30. See? If you'd read the whole thread you'd have known already! Shame on you! Read it again!
    Thanks lol. Sounds a bit technical which sadly isn't my forte, but hey, maybe I'll give it a go.

  15. #635
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak
    Ah, the class question. See my earlier comment about mechanics not being my strong suit! I actually did consider a necromancer class looong ago with a mechanic centered around a customizable Necronomicon, involving swapping out different pages to grant different abilities and upgrading it to hold more pages, using magic inks, etc. Also considered a Runemaster class, though monk and death knight have a lot of those bases covered (curses!).

    Demon Hunters would be cool, and it was suggested for this, but they just don't fit thematically. Save those guys for a Legion/Dream expansion, sez I!

    I won't stop anyone from posting anything they'd like to see - I just won't promise to use it either! Though I do like the Tinker idea.
    Well what I meant was that I already made 5 good looking ^^ classes and I don't know maybe if you were to take a look around them and see if u like any u could post one along with yours in the official forums, if u can ofc =P. So yh I also feel that a Tinker class would be cool but the intro for it would have to be closely related with the underkingdom(is that what u call the spider kingdom?). Maybe bring the tinker's digging expertise or smthing? I don't know lol. Of all the xpack threads I've seen I already have a basic assessment of what classes they could introduce, like the Azhara xpack could bring the tinker because it has some utilities to use in water elements and this could be a good way of calling them to action. There is also the Argus xpack where oviously demon hunters would be in it. Then Emerald Dream would once again awake Dragonsworns. Anyway if u feeling curious just click on my sig =).

  16. #636
    Old God Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    10,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Man, no one likes the name. Clearly, everyone is wrong except me. This is probably the last thing I'd change however
    That's because it is a terrible name. Don't get me wrong, I didn't even know this existed and I am astounded at how much work you've put into it. You should be working for a game company somewhere.

    But regarding the name, you have to step outside your box. 'The Spider Kingdom' is about as exciting as saying 'The Crayon Box'. Sure it accomplishes the purpose of telling me exactly what I will find inside, but that's all it does. It's not exciting, it's not mysterious, it doesn't contribute to a thematic element of a story. I will equally judge World of Warcraft: Cataclysm to be just as terrible. Other names that give examples of the effect 'The Spider Kingdom' has are:

    World of Warcraft: A Field with Trees
    World of Warcraft: There's a Game inside This Box
    World of Warcraft: Magic and Dragons and Stuff

    Try the actual naming structure for the successful games and go from there. Cataclysm, being the worst exspansion with the worst name. Use an adjective and a noun. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Mists of Pandaria. While these are not the pinnacle of naming structures, it serves to give emotion to the players, information on what's coming, etc.

    Look how much more exciting and descriptive these are:

    Shadows of Nerub
    Depths of the Underking
    Rise of the Vrykul

    For all the creativity you have, the name is the most uninspired thing I could think of for your work and it doesn't do it justice. I would highly consider revising your stance of this being the last thing you would change into I am going to change this immediately. I tried to let you know that your work is a great accomplishment, but I have to be direct in my criticism because words matter.

  17. #637
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    That's because it is a terrible name. Don't get me wrong, I didn't even know this existed and I am astounded at how much work you've put into it. You should be working for a game company somewhere.

    But regarding the name, you have to step outside your box. 'The Spider Kingdom' is about as exciting as saying 'The Crayon Box'. Sure it accomplishes the purpose of telling me exactly what I will find inside, but that's all it does. It's not exciting, it's not mysterious, it doesn't contribute to a thematic element of a story. I will equally judge World of Warcraft: Cataclysm to be just as terrible. Other names that give examples of the effect 'The Spider Kingdom' has are:

    World of Warcraft: A Field with Trees
    World of Warcraft: There's a Game inside This Box
    World of Warcraft: Magic and Dragons and Stuff

    Try the actual naming structure for the successful games and go from there. Cataclysm, being the worst exspansion with the worst name. Use an adjective and a noun. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Mists of Pandaria. While these are not the pinnacle of naming structures, it serves to give emotion to the players, information on what's coming, etc.

    Look how much more exciting and descriptive these are:

    Shadows of Nerub
    Depths of the Underking
    Rise of the Vrykul

    For all the creativity you have, the name is the most uninspired thing I could think of for your work and it doesn't do it justice. I would highly consider revising your stance of this being the last thing you would change into I am going to change this immediately. I tried to let you know that your work is a great accomplishment, but I have to be direct in my criticism because words matter.
    Srry I'm gonna agree with Golden Yak on these. Titles like rise of or shadows or dephs are too abused. Maybe something on the lines of Horror Deeps or Nerbubian Nights?

  18. #638
    Old God Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    10,129
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    Srry I'm gonna agree with Golden Yak on these. Titles like rise of or shadows or dephs are too abused. Maybe something on the lines of Horror Deeps or Nerbubian Nights?
    The specific words were not the point, they were used as examples to a structure. It's like you didn't read anything.

    PS - they are overused because that's the setting that fantasy MMOs establish. If we were breaking some ground in 'newness' then I would say we need some radically different naming structures.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-11-16 at 10:00 PM.

  19. #639
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    The specific words were not the point, they were used as examples to a structure. It's like you didn't read anything.

    PS - they are overused because that's the setting that fantasy MMOs establish. If we were breaking some ground in 'newness' then I would say we need some radically different naming structures.
    U can't b serious lol. You gave shitty examples like depths.... rise of.....shadooows... and u tell me that's not what u meant? but nvm who are u to say what's the setting for mmos? And if u cared to think before writing u would realise only 0 of Blizzard's xpacks employs the word Rise or dephts or shadows. Need I say more?

  20. #640
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    That's because it is a terrible name. Don't get me wrong, I didn't even know this existed and I am astounded at how much work you've put into it. You should be working for a game company somewhere.

    But regarding the name, you have to step outside your box. 'The Spider Kingdom' is about as exciting as saying 'The Crayon Box'. Sure it accomplishes the purpose of telling me exactly what I will find inside, but that's all it does. It's not exciting, it's not mysterious, it doesn't contribute to a thematic element of a story. I will equally judge World of Warcraft: Cataclysm to be just as terrible. Other names that give examples of the effect 'The Spider Kingdom' has are:

    World of Warcraft: A Field with Trees
    World of Warcraft: There's a Game inside This Box
    World of Warcraft: Magic and Dragons and Stuff

    Try the actual naming structure for the successful games and go from there. Cataclysm, being the worst exspansion with the worst name. Use an adjective and a noun. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Mists of Pandaria. While these are not the pinnacle of naming structures, it serves to give emotion to the players, information on what's coming, etc.

    Look how much more exciting and descriptive these are:

    Shadows of Nerub
    Depths of the Underking
    Rise of the Vrykul

    For all the creativity you have, the name is the most uninspired thing I could think of for your work and it doesn't do it justice. I would highly consider revising your stance of this being the last thing you would change into I am going to change this immediately. I tried to let you know that your work is a great accomplishment, but I have to be direct in my criticism because words matter.
    This seems pretty presumptuous. Spider Kingdom is simple and descriptive, and sounds different and new when said after the other titles. But if you must demand it more closely resemble the others, how about "Kingdom of the Spiders".

    Also, your "adjective - noun" examples? There's only one adjective between the three: Burning.



    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Man, no one likes the name. Clearly, everyone is wrong except me. This is probably the last thing I'd change however - people have suggested some other decent titles, and I've considered some different ones of my own, even 'Rise of the Spider Kingdom'. Rise of the Etc. just seems too overused to me. You kids and your 'Revelations' and your 'Rises' and other 'R' words...

    I like 'The Spider Kingdom.' The nerubians say it in WC3 and it certainly sends chills down my spine.
    I like it fine. But one thing about the whole concept: we all know the way to deal with a spider is to kill it with fire. Can we burn Northrend down to do it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •