Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good news Wow fans - Blizzard Entertainment has authorized me to reveal the truth about this thread. I am in fact a Blizzard employee plant and have been posting here to generate buzz for Blizzard's next World of Warcraft expansion 'The Spider Kingdom', which will be released after Mists of Pandaria. Many of you have heard the news that Blizzard is already hard at work on the next expansion after Mists, and you'll be able to see some of the work our game designers have accomplished exclusively in this thread. Keep an eye out for more content here and elsewhere in the near future!

ps - April Fools, her derp!

-----

Quote Originally Posted by pFreak View Post
    Amazing!!
    Make a private Server with Maphacks
    I would play there
    If Blizzard ever makes public a world editor, I would certainly be interested in seeing what I could make with it.

Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    Give this guy a medal, im balls deep in this but came up for air to congratulate ! EPIC, just click the wowpedia links!
    Gross! Glad you've found it appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanistra View Post
    daamn, this is some impressive work, tho I stopped at 1 thing.

how the hell did u make those custom maps ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkinor View Post
    I've heard several people ask, but maybe it's worth another try: would you tell us your process for making those maps?
    I've gotten a number of requests both in this thread and in PMs, so I'll go over my 'creative process' for maps. This'll help bridge the gap 'til I update next.

For the re-vamped Northrend zone maps, I just took screenshots of them and pasted them into Photoshop. Photoshop as an extremely useful 'Layer' system, which lets you draw over top of any material on a lower layer without directly affecting that. I used bits and pieces of other maps, as well as hand-drawn elements, to change the existing zone maps to reflect the revamped elements of the Spider Kingdom content.

For custom maps, it's pretty much the same. First, I did a quick doodle to get all of the elements roughed out.

Then I took a screenshot of Deepholm using a character that I hadn't explored much with. Doing so gives you a nice blank background of unexplored map to draw on. Using photoshop, I color shifted it to make it totally dark and grim and brutal (or purple in the case of my dungeon maps, cuz purple is evil).

Then I start roughing in lines on a layer above the background. This way if I screw up, I can easily erase or startover without mucking up the background. I keep going until I've doodled all of the elements I'm going to need. I look at maps from the game when I need to use common elements like mountains and caves, so it keeps things looking as authentic as I can make it.

Then when I've got all the lines I need, I make more layers and start adding color and other elements like text, until I finally have something like this.

That's pretty much it - actually quite simple. If anyone wants to learn more about Photoshop, there are zillions of helpful tutorials on youtube and google.
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2012-04-02 at 08:03 AM.

Deleted
    Cool stuff. One of my biggest disappointments with WOTLK was how they handled Azjol-Nerub.

"Spider kingdom" is kind of a crappy name though.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about Ancient Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub, but I love your ideas for this and damn for a fan expansion it does look awesome.
    For the Horde!

Step 2 to step 3 on your custom map reminds me of this http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxyuyusmGw1qmynpd.gif

It's really astonishing how well you can reproduce blizzard's art style on your maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Deleted
    Never release stuff like this on the first of April.

--REMOVED MEME--
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-04-02 at 01:33 PM.

Nice concept. Sounds very viable in the WoW universe and lore. It's very dark and twisted, which fits Northrend's theme.

However. Much of the lore doesn't fit Cataclysm's newer developments, especially when it comes to the Dragons and their powers. The Ley Lines would have been able to be corrected, because Kalec became the new Aspect of Magic. The Infinite Dragons are basically extinct now. Unless this, somehow, took place literally right after the Cataclysm, some of that lorewouldn't fit with the info we got in Cataclysm, especially patch 4.3.

Otherwise, good work. Very nice maps and drawings.

If only it were true, man. Sometimes I wish this date didn't exist.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

It looks and sounds very cool, but I dislike the fact that you practically diminished all the Scourge threat in Northrend. The Lich King would of been completely possessed by now, as did Arthas at the beginning. The Scourge should still be the main enemy, and maybe some Necropolis's have fallen, but there should also be some that had risen. What happened to Icecrown Citadel exactly? Was it taken over by the Twilight's Hammer? Or is it still in Scourge possession? A great add on to the story is that the the Frostmourne has been re-forged by the same person who had stole it's remnants(Sylvanas) or the current Lich king has been completely corrupted.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

30 pages, going strong!

I love the concept. Too bad it will never happen. Instead we get pandas, farmville, pokemon and possibly zergatchi, which will be very much asked for by the players I suspect. Blizzard used to be run by badass raiders from EQ and we'd get bad ass games like vanilla and TBC, now it's run by money-grabbing greedy MBAs and we get pokemon/farmville/panda crap. Unf...ingbelievable... /end rant

Why? Why is this not an expansion? I'm totally excited about MoP, but this? This is incredible. There's so many new characters and zones and ideas, and a good blend of the old and the new. The artwork and maps are amazing, and the dungeons look like so much fun.

Why did this have to be an April Fools Joke? ;_;

Really, though, awesome, awesome job. I wish Blizzard would hire people like you.
    I don't need a signature. I'm just like you.

Deleted
    sorry, but i find this crap, have fun photoshopping

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Elementium; 2012-04-01 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubletrouble View Post
    sorry, but i find this crap, have fun photoshopping
    Way to be constructive, dawg!

*two thumbs up*
    I don't need a signature. I'm just like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should work with Alcatraz, His raid in your expansion could be a wonderful idea.

http://www.wowpedia.org/images/3/32/...d_Waste_V4.jpg

http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Alcatraz Here is all of his work compiled.

http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Alcatra...he_Tide_Hunter
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2012-04-01 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Good news Wow fans - Blizzard Entertainment has authorized me to reveal the truth about this thread. I am in fact a Blizzard employee plant and have been posting here to generate buzz for Blizzard's next World of Warcraft expansion 'The Spider Kingdom', which will be released after Mists of Pandaria. Many of you have heard the news that Blizzard is already hard at work on the next expansion after Mists, and you'll be able to see some of the work our game designers have accomplished exclusively in this thread. Keep an eye out for more content here and elsewhere in the near future!
    How has a mod not removed this note???

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    How has a mod not removed this note???
    Because it was added on April the 1st.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    Because it was added on April the 1st.
    oic... ive been trolled lol

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now you turned it into an April Fools. Now a mod's gonna have to lock it.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
    Way to be constructive, dawg!

*two thumbs up*
    just as constructive as: OMG I LOVE THIS and the like, "dawg".

Quote Originally Posted by Gruul View Post
    Cool stuff. One of my biggest disappointments with WOTLK was how they handled Azjol-Nerub.
    I was very disappointed with AN as well. It was supposed to be a zone and it turned out to be 2 5-mans. I don't understand how come such a fertile theme was wasted so easily. I would like to hope they had such awesome ideas that they saved them for a future expansion, but having seen pandas it is more likely Blizz is truly getting shallower with imagination and creativity.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    This continuity error may have been edited somewhere along the way in this 21+ page thread so forgive me if this has been addressed, but there is one major problem with your idea.

You mention that the Nexus is torn apart. And it is also clear that this version of Northrend is supposed to happen directly before the events of Cataclysm in order to fix the "time machine" issue. The problem with this is that in the Firelands, you NEED to go to the Nexus in order to appoint Kalecgos as the new Aspect of Magic. But if the Nexus gets destroyed previously to that ....

I think you see where I'm going with this.