Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    :O Very good idea! Just one more suggestion: necromancer class please!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    i hate the idea of rewamping. We saw it failing brutaly in Cata, why do this to outlands or northren.. . no ... no way , i saw. Also the name "Spider Kingdom" sounds very corny and not at all good.

Other than that, i' like it. The idea of an expansion evolving around what we saw in wotlk in the Azjol-Nerub instances, i like that alot! Though i belive they should have a continent of their own, and that the name of the expansion would be something else than "Spider Kingdom".

How about "The Nerubian Empire" ?
    A little off-topic but I disagree with your assessment of zone revamps. Cata had enormous potential and the revamp was the central feature of that. It failed because blizzard bit off more than they could chew, and there was little incentive for higher levels to go to the revamped zones, meaning less polish on the high level content. Just revamping a Outland and/or Northrend wouldn't be as much work, and Blizzard is hopefully smart enough to make the revamped continents part of the high level content.

Well, this is a nice little treat to stumble upon after just registering. I really like what I'm reading, Golden Yak. These are some extremely good ideas. I particularly like Path of War system for leveling, though truthfully I don't get the feeling it offers much in the way of customization since all classes and specs are locked into three definite paths. (At least, that's how I interpreted it. :/) That said, I like how the paths are based on questing, PvP, and PvE. That's just a cool concept to me.

Oh, and your maps are lovely. Quite the cartographer, you are.

Deleted
    Well I sure ain't gonna waste time in Congratulating you because it is commonly accepted as a good work. I myself am quite the helpless believer and I have my own ideas for what I think would be the bestest xpack adventureland thrillshows =^). And because of the thorough presentation u put the only thing I find missing is a class. So, of all the classes that come to ur mind, what is it u feel would best fit ur work? I already made 5 that u can see in my sig but if u would like another one I can do another. It would b most fun =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KingAelle View Post
    Well like I said, you needn't take any of these concepts on board but it might be helpful to give them a little consideration (I also grant that some of these alterations may seem a little drastic):
    Let it never be said that I cannot take the slightest criticism without giving it fair and due consideration in a calm and sanguine manner.

Like many others in this thread, I too share the sentiment that 'World of Wacraft: The Spider Kingdom' is a relatively weightless name and one that does not sit well on the ear.
    (\°-°)\┬┬

(╯°□°)╯ ┻┻

Man, no one likes the name. Clearly, everyone is wrong except me. This is probably the last thing I'd change however - people have suggested some other decent titles, and I've considered some different ones of my own, even 'Rise of the Spider Kingdom'. Rise of the Etc. just seems too overused to me. You kids and your 'Revelations' and your 'Rises' and other 'R' words...

I like 'The Spider Kingdom.' The nerubians say it in WC3 and it certainly sends chills down my spine.

Anub'Arak
    How many times has the guy gotta die? While he never got the raid he deserved, I feel the amazing fight in TotC was a worthy send off. And he sort've fit thematically as the Lich King's then-ultimate champion.

There's plenty of new kingly nerubians that will be acting as villains (including Anub'Arak's heir), so I doubt I'll bring the big bug himself back for more. Nerubians acting as the vessels for the fathomless evil power of the Old Gods is something there will be a lot of though...

The major antagonist isn't really apparent I know, but he was built up over the course of the Northrend revamp storyline and he really takes off as the big bad over the course of the Spider Kingdom content. It's Xarosan, the bastard night elf twilight cultist with big plans, because I've always liked stories where the ultimate villain starts out as a second-rate mook and claws his way to the top of the world through sheer force of miserable, impersonal, nerve-sapping hatred. He's my 'Kefka'.

Given time I'll be doing more stuff to show him off.

New Race: Vrykul
    Yep, if I were to do a neutral race it would be these guys. Been thinking about 'em ever since the deal with the pandaren was revealed. I skipped over doing new races and classes because I wanted to focus purely on late-game content ideas, but there's definitely more stuff in store from Queen Angerboda and the vrykul, so a vrykul neutral race would have plenty to do even late game. Cool story idea too, it's pretty much exactly what Vidar did behind the scenes before his final showdown with Angerboda.

Azjol-Anak: The New Kingdom
    Neat, but I've already got Doorward acting as the central city and the Sundered Monolith is where all the living nerubians are gonna be. Both will be of great importance to the storyline, especially Doorward. Having a friendly nerubian outpost on the surface isn't a bad idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Appel View Post
    I always wanted to play the Vrukyl.. but i think this is a hordes race only for some reason.. they hate the humans with passion, i understand the feel like the pandaren joining both factions. But i dont like them in a alliance camp.
    The Alliance is more than just humans (the forsaken aren't exactly loved by any of the Horde races), the vrykul respect strength, and Vidar's a very forward-thinking fellah. Honestly I'd see them as more Alliance than Horde, if I had to pick one faction to put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread but I'm liking the concept so far, and I think that there is actually a big chance we could visit the underworld beneath Northrend (expanding it into a whole subterranean continent hopefully.). Can I ask what you used to make the amazing zone maps? I've been looking for a site to make custom wow maps for a few weeks now but the only one I can find is under maintenance.
    I go over how I make the maps on page 30. See? If you'd read the whole thread you'd have known already! Shame on you! Read it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Elyssa View Post
    Well, this is a nice little treat to stumble upon after just registering. I really like what I'm reading, Golden Yak. These are some extremely good ideas. I particularly like Path of War system for leveling, though truthfully I don't get the feeling it offers much in the way of customization since all classes and specs are locked into three definite paths. (At least, that's how I interpreted it. :/) That said, I like how the paths are based on questing, PvP, and PvE. That's just a cool concept to me.
    Game mechanics are not my strong suit, so there may be problems with the Path of War I haven't counted on. It was made when Cata was still using the older talent system, but the new one in MoP is actually somewhat similar - you can select talents from three different choices to customize your capability in any spec. The Path of War would let you choose bonuses from any path - unlocking them in a specific way is the only restriction.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    :O Very good idea! Just one more suggestion: necromancer class please!
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    Well I sure ain't gonna waste time in Congratulating you because it is commonly accepted as a good work. I myself am quite the helpless believer and I have my own ideas for what I think would be the bestest xpack adventureland thrillshows =^). And because of the thorough presentation u put the only thing I find missing is a class. So, of all the classes that come to ur mind, what is it u feel would best fit ur work? I already made 5 that u can see in my sig but if u would like another one I can do another. It would b most fun =)
    Ah, the class question. See my earlier comment about mechanics not being my strong suit! I actually did consider a necromancer class looong ago with a mechanic centered around a customizable Necronomicon, involving swapping out different pages to grant different abilities and upgrading it to hold more pages, using magic inks, etc. Also considered a Runemaster class, though monk and death knight have a lot of those bases covered (curses!).

Demon Hunters would be cool, and it was suggested for this, but they just don't fit thematically. Save those guys for a Legion/Dream expansion, sez I!

I won't stop anyone from posting anything they'd like to see - I just won't promise to use it either! Though I do like the Tinker idea.

Impressive. Not sure I agree with an entire expansion based around it, but definitely a couple of zones would be nice.

I'm a bit biased toward the Ethereals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I go over how I make the maps on page 30. See? If you'd read the whole thread you'd have known already! Shame on you! Read it again!
    Thanks lol. Sounds a bit technical which sadly isn't my forte, but hey, maybe I'll give it a go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak
    Ah, the class question. See my earlier comment about mechanics not being my strong suit! I actually did consider a necromancer class looong ago with a mechanic centered around a customizable Necronomicon, involving swapping out different pages to grant different abilities and upgrading it to hold more pages, using magic inks, etc. Also considered a Runemaster class, though monk and death knight have a lot of those bases covered (curses!).

Demon Hunters would be cool, and it was suggested for this, but they just don't fit thematically. Save those guys for a Legion/Dream expansion, sez I!

I won't stop anyone from posting anything they'd like to see - I just won't promise to use it either! Though I do like the Tinker idea.
    Well what I meant was that I already made 5 good looking ^^ classes and I don't know maybe if you were to take a look around them and see if u like any u could post one along with yours in the official forums, if u can ofc =P. So yh I also feel that a Tinker class would be cool but the intro for it would have to be closely related with the underkingdom(is that what u call the spider kingdom?). Maybe bring the tinker's digging expertise or smthing? I don't know lol. Of all the xpack threads I've seen I already have a basic assessment of what classes they could introduce, like the Azhara xpack could bring the tinker because it has some utilities to use in water elements and this could be a good way of calling them to action. There is also the Argus xpack where oviously demon hunters would be in it. Then Emerald Dream would once again awake Dragonsworns. Anyway if u feeling curious just click on my sig =).

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, no one likes the name. Clearly, everyone is wrong except me. This is probably the last thing I'd change however
    That's because it is a terrible name. Don't get me wrong, I didn't even know this existed and I am astounded at how much work you've put into it. You should be working for a game company somewhere.

But regarding the name, you have to step outside your box. 'The Spider Kingdom' is about as exciting as saying 'The Crayon Box'. Sure it accomplishes the purpose of telling me exactly what I will find inside, but that's all it does. It's not exciting, it's not mysterious, it doesn't contribute to a thematic element of a story. I will equally judge World of Warcraft: Cataclysm to be just as terrible. Other names that give examples of the effect 'The Spider Kingdom' has are:

World of Warcraft: A Field with Trees
    World of Warcraft: There's a Game inside This Box
    World of Warcraft: Magic and Dragons and Stuff

Try the actual naming structure for the successful games and go from there. Cataclysm, being the worst exspansion with the worst name. Use an adjective and a noun. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Mists of Pandaria. While these are not the pinnacle of naming structures, it serves to give emotion to the players, information on what's coming, etc.

Look how much more exciting and descriptive these are:

Shadows of Nerub
    Depths of the Underking
    Rise of the Vrykul

For all the creativity you have, the name is the most uninspired thing I could think of for your work and it doesn't do it justice. I would highly consider revising your stance of this being the last thing you would change into I am going to change this immediately. I tried to let you know that your work is a great accomplishment, but I have to be direct in my criticism because words matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    That's because it is a terrible name. Don't get me wrong, I didn't even know this existed and I am astounded at how much work you've put into it. You should be working for a game company somewhere.

But regarding the name, you have to step outside your box. 'The Spider Kingdom' is about as exciting as saying 'The Crayon Box'. Sure it accomplishes the purpose of telling me exactly what I will find inside, but that's all it does. It's not exciting, it's not mysterious, it doesn't contribute to a thematic element of a story. I will equally judge World of Warcraft: Cataclysm to be just as terrible. Other names that give examples of the effect 'The Spider Kingdom' has are:

Try the actual naming structure for the successful games and go from there. Cataclysm, being the worst exspansion with the worst name. Use an adjective and a noun. The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Mists of Pandaria. While these are not the pinnacle of naming structures, it serves to give emotion to the players, information on what's coming, etc.

Shadows of Nerub
    Depths of the Underking
    Rise of the Vrykul

For all the creativity you have, the name is the most uninspired thing I could think of for your work and it doesn't do it justice. I would highly consider revising your stance of this being the last thing you would change into I am going to change this immediately. I tried to let you know that your work is a great accomplishment, but I have to be direct in my criticism because words matter.
    Srry I'm gonna agree with Golden Yak on these. Titles like rise of or shadows or dephs are too abused. Maybe something on the lines of Horror Deeps or Nerbubian Nights?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    Srry I'm gonna agree with Golden Yak on these. Titles like rise of or shadows or dephs are too abused. Maybe something on the lines of Horror Deeps or Nerbubian Nights?
    The specific words were not the point, they were used as examples to a structure. It's like you didn't read anything.

PS - they are overused because that's the setting that fantasy MMOs establish. If we were breaking some ground in 'newness' then I would say we need some radically different naming structures.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-11-16 at 10:00 PM.

Deleted
    The specific words were not the point, they were used as examples to a structure. It's like you didn't read anything.

PS - they are overused because that's the setting that fantasy MMOs establish. If we were breaking some ground in 'newness' then I would say we need some radically different naming structures.
    U can't b serious lol. You gave shitty examples like depths.... rise of.....shadooows... and u tell me that's not what u meant? but nvm who are u to say what's the setting for mmos? And if u cared to think before writing u would realise only 0 of Blizzard's xpacks employs the word Rise or dephts or shadows. Need I say more?
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2012-11-16 at 10:50 PM.

Shadows of Nerub
    Depths of the Underking
    Rise of the Vrykul

This seems pretty presumptuous. Spider Kingdom is simple and descriptive, and sounds different and new when said after the other titles. But if you must demand it more closely resemble the others, how about "Kingdom of the Spiders".

Also, your "adjective - noun" examples? There's only one adjective between the three: Burning.

Man, no one likes the name. Clearly, everyone is wrong except me. This is probably the last thing I'd change however - people have suggested some other decent titles, and I've considered some different ones of my own, even 'Rise of the Spider Kingdom'. Rise of the Etc. just seems too overused to me. You kids and your 'Revelations' and your 'Rises' and other 'R' words...

I like 'The Spider Kingdom.' The nerubians say it in WC3 and it certainly sends chills down my spine.
    I like it fine. But one thing about the whole concept: we all know the way to deal with a spider is to kill it with fire. Can we burn Northrend down to do it?

Wow..... This was a very interesting read, must say thou I really like your ideas, and Blizzard would be fools to ignore these. They did say they missed some nerubian lore in Northrend, and this... this is a very nice method to do so. Ofc, I would've changed a few things, considering this was posted soon 2years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    This seems pretty presumptuous. Spider Kingdom is simple and descriptive
    Exactly why it is NOT a catchy title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtree View Post
    Also, your "adjective - noun" examples? There's only one adjective between the three: Burning.
    In case you weren't aware...in the English language nouns are used as adjectives too. It's not a very complicated notion. You should probably read up on Elementary level grammar. With that being said, I thought it would be overly complicated to explain how nouns are used to describe other nouns and stuck with using the much more familiar 'adjective'. The examples are only pulled from this game because that is what we are talking about.

I didn't feel like giving an depth lecture on the use of varying word types as modifiers in descriptions. I apologize that what I wrote triggered your defense mechanism. If you would like to engage on a proper discourse regarding descriptive language, please feel free to PM me. I will probably not respond, but do what you will.

It doesn't change the fact that the name is boring, uninspired, not catchy, and not worthy of something so creative.

Who care's what the damn title is.

In case you weren't aware...in the English language nouns are used as adjectives too. It's not a very complicated notion. You should probably read up on Elementary level grammar...
    ...but do what you will.
    Done. Elementary grammar was a long time ago, and I've got nothing better to do on a friday night than refresh on it (insert foreveralone.gif here). Still think Wrath and Mists are nouns, Lich King and Pandaria are possessive determiners (as the kids call them these days).

Regardless, the disconnect seems to be here...
    It doesn't change the fact that the name is boring, uninspired, not catchy, and not worthy of something so creative.
    ...because you must lack the balanced and rational response most have to the very thought of spiders. Good on you, sir!

" The Nerubian Empire " is still the best name idea yet!

Deleted

In case you weren't aware...in the English language nouns are used as adjectives too. It's not a very complicated notion. You should probably read up on Elementary level grammar. With that being said, I thought it would be overly complicated to explain how nouns are used to describe other nouns and stuck with using the much more familiar 'adjective'. The examples are only pulled from this game because that is what we are talking about.

I didn't feel like giving an depth lecture on the use of varying word types as modifiers in descriptions. I apologize that what I wrote triggered your defense mechanism. If you would like to engage on a proper discourse regarding descriptive language, please feel free to PM me. I will probably not respond, but do what you will.

Why is simple and descriptive not catchy?