Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Red face "VANILLA" in the snow bare foot and up hill for 3 miles

I started playing this game at wrath release. no vanilla no tbc just wrath. get over it grandpas. Heres my point. the more you oldies cry about wrath players being bad the less cool you look. if you want to be a BG hero or dungeon leader, teach then. help players started durring the easier expansion. (YES YOU CAN TEACH MONKEYS TO COLOR, ITS BEEN DONE!) I dont consider my self a bad player i play a druid tank i always cc pull and take the time to explain the fights. and more then not our group downs bosses. the only problem i have is when people start arguing and fighting about whos a better player who has played longer. then things slow down and everyone is in a bad mood cuz grandpa went on a rant about TBC. if i had 1 copper for everytime i heard " in TBC we had to cc" i would be gold capd. instead of telling players that you played in TBC tell them what they can do to better the chances of downing a boss. less talky about cata/vanilla likes. more talky about helping eachother. it will go alot further and i bet you might get some loot out of it. dnt be " that guy" that talks till they are blue in the face about old expansions. we are all here becuase we love this game thats somthing that we all have in common.

news flash
    **** Vanilla is over****
    ****TBC is over****
    **** Wrath is over****
    ****CATA IS NOW****
    no disrespect to anyone who played older expansions but in return dont disrespect anyone who didnt. it solves nothing JUST PLAY! ty

Although this seems like a QQ thread, I completely agree, I taught my wife how to play at the end of Wrath and now she is progressively raiding 25mans in Cataclysm. I have personally seen the /vanilla/tbc/wrath epeen fights in many a heroics.

thank you sir< and by the way i wasnt trying to come off as a qq thread about vanilla players. just about how we can all work together and teach eachother instead of bickering about bad players all day in forums! <3

Quote Originally Posted by CRANKY View Post
    I started playing this game at wrath release. no vanilla no tbc just wrath. get over it grandpas. Heres my point. the more you oldies cry about wrath players being bad the less cool you look. if you want to be a BG hero or dungeon leader, teach then. help players started durring the easier expansion. (YES YOU CAN TEACH MONKEYS TO COLOR, ITS BEEN DONE!) I dont consider my self a bad player i play a druid tank i always cc pull and take the time to explain the fights. and more then not our group downs bosses. the only problem i have is when people start arguing and fighting about whos a better player who has played longer. then things slow down and everyone is in a bad mood cuz grandpa went on a rant about TBC. if i had 1 copper for everytime i heard " in TBC we had to cc" i would be gold capd. instead of telling players that you played in TBC tell them what they can do to better the chances of downing a boss. less talky about cata/vanilla likes. more talky about helping eachother. it will go alot further and i bet you might get some loot out of it. dnt be " that guy" that talks till they are blue in the face about old expansions. we are all here becuase we love this game thats somthing that we all have in common.

news flash
    **** Vanilla is over****
    ****TBC is over****
    **** Wrath is over****
    ****CATA IS NOW****
    no disrespect to anyone who played older expansions but in return don't disrespect anyone who didn't. it solves nothing JUST PLAY! ty
    i honestly can not agree more, i started in TBC and looking back im SO happy they changed what they did (mostly) anyone who says otherwise that isnt trolling is forgetting the bullshit we had to put up with, remember attuning every new guildie? that was fun...right?

I have also been in many TBC > Wrath etc... I also enjoy it when a group (probably a random) has never been together (obviously) and someone steps up and 4 others can learn and kill bosses for lewtz. This is a game after all, who really cares how big an epeen is. I have legendaries, I have been top class on my server, but in the end, it really doesnt matter until the bosses are dead and I personally find it more satisfying when I personally teach people the fights (rather than bitching about how someone is a baddie) and killing the boss with people who others have called bad players. I'm glad they've reverted to the need for CC, it makes players better and forces people to have spacial awareness.. GJ blizz

It's more than just the wrath-babies not being able to play. It's about wrath-babies mentality when it comes to learning new content... which seems pretty much non-existent. If its not charge->AE->loot->conquer then its not worth their time.

Are there a few exceptions? Sure, i'm willing to give people a shot. Does it happen often? Well hell, that's why I called it the exception.

15+ Year Old Account
    i would of taken you seriously but u where calling people grandpa, then said no disrespect, bit late for that

I agree a lot with this post, being a vanilla player. I hate how many other "veterans" keep on saying how players who started during this and that have no idea how WoW is supposed to be like and blah blah. Its like a World War 1 vet telling a Viet War soldier about how he doesn't know how war is really like.

the point is it is really hard to teach something to arrogant-clueless wotlk people. i cant keep myself calm all the time

I started playing wow right at the end of TBC, I got to level 70 maybe a week before the wotlk release; so basically I am a wotlk player. Now the fact that I have not done previous content I don't think has made me a worse player. I have friends who have played since release and would happily say I am the better player.
    I think succeeding in old content has very little to do with current content, classes and game play in general has changed so much over the time I have been playing, I think any skill I had back in Naxx has had very little addition to my skill now. The game in my opinion comes down to how well you know your class in the current patch, and has nothing to do with how many time you killed C'thun or Magtheridon.

I think most old school players are willing to teach. After all, everything had to be taught back then. Things were hard (and to a degree, they are again) but the typical Wrath only player thinks they can just go in, 1 shot every boss, AoE every pull, and one wipe and they are out. There are plenty of patient and good players who started in Wrath, but the overwhelming majority that I come across have no patience, no awareness, no clue how to CC, and are unwilling to learn. They think heroics should be a cakewalk and that epics should drop from them. Find me a good player who needs to learn the fight and I will teach it. Find me one of those WotLK privileged idiots who has no clue how bad they are because WotLK heroics and normal mode raids were to easy and I will find something better to do.

Deleted
    i will start respecting people when they do what they are told, i have 2 retards earlier who could not understand "dont stand in the white stuff and kite and kill the adds" when people understand simple things i will respect them a little bit more

Deleted
    There were retards in vanilla, thanks for pointing that out.

80% of the populace didn't kill ragnaros while it was relevant. Claiming to be from Vanilla is hardly a bonus.

I started playing in vanilla. But wrath ruined me. I expect to be able to do a heroic dungeon in 45 minutes, not 3 hrs.

I am Shaman - Play Free Online Games
    FML... Shamans suck.

Playing from Vanilla dont make you any better in anyway, I do like to remind people who QQ about rep farming at how easy it is now... but other then that PvE wise i try help people. If we are in a 5man HC and say.. stonecore. And the ranged is confused about how to kill the purple crystals most people and it happened would boot them and just go "Dam noob" and THEY are the Wrath people i hate.. who cant stand someone make ONE mistake. I like to just explain do A and B will happen and its fine. 9/10 they get it right and say thank you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
    I started playing in vanilla. But wrath ruined me. I expect to be able to do a heroic dungeon in 45 minutes, not 3 hrs.
    Same, but I started in BC.

I'm not used to spending 3 hours in a heroic again. I honestly don't want to go back to the tiresome Heroic Shattered Halls or Arc. It's even worse with Dungeon Finder.

You know whats funny... I've been playing since beta (Yes original beta) and I have to say Cata isn't like vanilla. Anyone who says it is needs to be shot in the head. Yes it carries some similarities but due to the refined mechanics and much more "depth" to the game it's actually considerably harder. Not that it's too hard or that it needs to be nerfed. But if people who played in vanilla say Cata is like vanilla in the difficulty department I'm here to happily tell them they're full of crap.

In Vanilla it was actually not that hard you know why? We used CC not because we HAD to. We used CC because that's what you did. That was part of what made classes unique. Back in Vanilla mages sheeped because that was a core "feature" they brought to the group. There wasn't a CC for every class either. It pretty much consisted of about 4 primary CC's so they were considered quite important. Sheep for mages. Fear and Seduction for locks (Yes believe it or not back then fear ping pongs were viable CC with Curse of Recklessness to pull them out if they got too close to adds, seduction was available but wasn't used as much). MC and Sap. Now MC wasn't used very often due to the fact that 9 times out of 10 the priest was healing due to lack of viable offspecs. Sap was an interesting one in that for it to even be remotely viable it required the rogue to be specced sub. Yes believe it or not Sub was a PvE spec. Some people actually looked at it as a CC spec. But there were situations where CC was very favorable. Not 100% necessary but definitely favorable.

Now getting back to Cata. Cata is a lot harder as I said for a few reasons. Much more complex mechanics. More class options. (I list this as a difficulty because it means everyone has to be a lot more aware of who can do what). And damage that is a crapload higher in raw percentages. But you have to remember in Vanilla there was no such thing as a "heroic". There were dungeons and that was it. And a 2-4 hour BRD or LBRS/UBRS run was quite common and noone complained because they didn't know any different. Now in Cata you have this "Now" generation that essentially expects to fly through instances and if they wipe once or twice or have a failure in a group they leave. No personality just poof gone. That we have the dungeon tool to thank for. Before the dungeon tool if you did such things you could establish quite a negative reputation on the server so people didn't do it. That and people did instances because they wanted to not because they had to farm some daily currency.

Anyway I'm not saying that Cata is too hard. But vanilla vs cata in difficulty simply isn't a valid comparison. //End Rant

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
    If you replace vanilla with tbc thats my story.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CRANKY View Post

news flash
    **** Vanilla is over****
    ****TBC is over****
    **** Wrath is over****
    ****CATA IS NOW****
    no disrespect to anyone who played older expansions but in return dont disrespect anyone who didnt. it solves nothing JUST PLAY! ty
    i agree with you, but some of your points aren't rlly well stated. you want veterans to help and teach ppl how to play, but at the same time you are flaming them, and then you tell in just one simple line it wasn't a flame post, that's being a hypocrit. you won't like that i sayed this, even if i started out constructive, because negative stuff always hits harder and will laster longer and in the mind then the positives.

and i mostly hate that news flash, it's uncalled for and just makes your post look more of a whinepost then trying to accompish something positive.

while your message has a good origin, i personally as a vanilla player think that it's not cool to call ppl wrath baby's, i know some veterans who are still noobs, and some wrath players whom are just awesome, it's personal, as via patchs and expansions classes completly change (take a look at total history of some classes, you wil cry and rofl) so you have to adapt to the new stuff. those that can adapt will win, those that don't suck and will whine about it or just reroll the FotM class.

so a tip to you OP, try to be more positive, and you will get that message over to more ppl and have a less chance to be flamed
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

skimmed most of your post, stopped fully reading at "if you want to be a hero teach us"

It's not so much that we have to teach you. A majority of the time when you hear someone from TBC/Vanilla complain, it's because the other people are failing at the easiest, most common sense stuff.
    When to run away, what to stand out of, when should you CC/pull, how to, etc. I've been in countless dungeons where it's been 4 guild members, and me being a pug. The guild people were clearly not exactly 'player of the year' award, and never understood what CC or standing out of things were. We ended up wiping on the alligator in tol'vir 4 times in a row, and they never understood how to CC.

On the other hand, I've been in dungeons where if we accidentally pull a pat or something, the DPS will CC what they can in any ways possible. Me, for example. I'll taunt a mob (i'm a holy paladin.) Run away while casting holy shock and word of glory on the tank if the damage isn't too bad at the time. When he gets to me, I stun, heal for 6 seconds to top people off, and by that time DPS is smart enough to CC it.