Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is this against ToS?

I ran out of game time and I don't have money to spend on it right now. I was going to get someone to give me a time card and then buy some cheap item from them for a large amount of gold.

Yes it is. Will you get in trouble? Probably not. Keep it under 10k. Anything over 9999g is supposedly a trigger.

The rule basically goes like this: You can trade real world money for real world goods, and you can trade in-game money for in-game goods. You cannot cross the two.

Paying gold for a game time card constitutes paying in-game money for real-world goods, and therefore is against Blizzard's policy. That doesn't mean you'll be punished for it, but they will have grounds should they choose to.

So it's against ToS to buy white or grey items for large amounts of gold?

Happens all the time on every server.

I would say yes. Since game time is basically a lease for you to access your account for a month. Buying a game time card for gold would be illegal imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    If you'd like to try and pull the wool over Blizzard's eyes, you're more than welcome to. Just know that they track the flow of gold, and unusually large transactions will prompt an investigation.

Use the time card... trade him the gold. Pretty easy.

i did it for a year straight (5,000g per 30 day time card)

Blizzard isn't stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JeKv View Post
    If you'd like to try and pull the wool over Blizzard's eyes, you're more than welcome to. Just know that they track the flow of gold, and unusually large transactions will prompt an investigation.
    It isn't a matter of pulling wool over their eyes. It's a matter of the transaction being legal or not.

It isn't a matter of pulling wool over their eyes. It's a matter of the transaction being legal or not.
    Refer to the FIRST response.
    /facepalm

The basic act of paying 10,000g for a grey item is not, in itself, against the ToS. But Blizzard isn't stupid. Remember that this is their game, and they can take action against you for any reason, or no reason. If they think you were actually paying for game time and they want to take action, they absolutely will, and you will have no defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Leejunair View Post
    Refer to the FIRST response.
    /facepalm
    I saw that, but I'm not trading the gold for a timecard.

I foresee a thread lock in the future.. That being said, I think we can all agree that you do this at your own risk, and most likely, you'll be caught. There are a few that won't, but they're the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Tails Prower View Post
    I foresee a thread lock in the future.. That being said, I think we can all agree that you do this at your own risk, and most likely, you'll be caught. There are a few that won't, but they're the exception.
    Hmm. My friend does it all the time.

So you get a friend to buy you a time card and you give him gold, are friends not allowed to loan friends money or gold anymore? How would they even know who bought the time card? I really couldn't see how you could get in trouble for it anyways if you aren't giving the gold to him from a level 1 character anyways.

I saw that, but I'm not trading the gold for a timecard.
    The fact remains that you're paying gold for a time card.

I ran out of game time and I don't have money to spend on it right now. I was going to get someone to give me a time card and then buy some cheap item from them for a large amount of gold.
    Yes it is against ToS, Greylord of Frostwolf. Reported.

Hmm. My friend does it all the time.
    That's not my point. There's always exceptions. Some people are just lucky and don't get caught. Doesn't matter if your friend, your uncle, your brother, or your next door neighbor has done it every minute, every day for 6 years.