Fire mage - haste for extra tick or ignore for mastery?

I've been balancing my haste at 4.5% so I'm able to get 12.5% in raid for the extra tick on my pyro and LB dots. I was wondering if it is beneficial to get haste to go no further than meeting this amount, or simply ignoring it to stack more mastery?

15+ Year Old Account
    Get the extra tick. After that haste and mastery are about equal, with mastery only slightly ahead. I would worry about crit/hit more than mastery/haste.

Fire Mages' stat priorities:

First and foremost is Intellect.
    Hit is second.
    Crit is third.
    Haste and Mastery are equal in weight but aren't as important as the first three.

Our DoTs aren't our main source of damage.

Thanks Direwolf. I had to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong other than not having enough crit from gear yet.

Deleted
    at this stage, you cant get crit high enough for it to be worth taking, ive capped hit, then gone entirely for mastery, your dots are ticking constantly and at 19 mastery you get about 50% extra damage per tick, it all adds up, also, arcane missiles has a 40% chance to proc, meaning its not worth taking imporved pyro unless your crit is higher than 40% - this includes glyphed fire ball crit etc, im doing around 15-17k dps in raids with this set up, but saying that it will most likely change when im out of blues, the other mage in my guild is running hit/crit and there is literally no diffrence in our dps, with us shifting place on the meters based on movement and situation alone

If you've reforged all mastery and your pyro doesn't proc do you waste cast time to throw one off?

going crit with this kind of gear imo is not worth it. haste would be a better option for now. extra tick and faster casting

Quote Originally Posted by Carty View Post
    If you've reforged all mastery and your pyro doesn't proc do you waste cast time to throw one off?
    Don't reforge all mastery, you want crit.
    Don't hard cast pyroblast.

Some people are claiming that crit is bad because you can't get enough to make pyroblast better.
    ...and?

Crit makes every spell you cast do 40% more damage by igniting.
    Without ignite your mastery is going to be less valuable as you're not going to get very many ignite procs and that's a pretty important fire mage DOT effect.
    Plus crits just do extra damage anway, and give you mana back. It is your best secondary stat.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2010-12-20 at 12:34 PM.

you have to crit for those talents to matter and right now you aren't. with casters needing 17% hit i don't see our crit being very high for now.

Deleted
    So much misinformation being thrown out on the mmo forums nowadays

Crit is our best secondary stat after hit period. /thread

Nearly all the talents within the fire tree rely on critting. Without crit, you dont proc ignite, you dont proc pyro as much, you can't use combustion because you dont have ignite/pyro up. Next time your raiding something and you have a streak with no crits/pyros just have a glance at how much dps your doing at that point, not alot!

Mastery and haste are of equal value after you reach the threshold for the first extra dot tick on a twelve second dot (Living Bomb/Pyroblast)

Although from a personal pov haste is better because it aids in everything, faster cast, smaller gcd, faster poly's, etc etc

So to recap, INT > HIT(to cap) > Crit > Haste = Mastery

10+ Year Old Account
    i stll think that haste is superior. Raid buffed i have 20% haste, so, i can stack ignite for 20k per tick, without movement because ignite don't have time to start ticking if i got lucky crit streak.
    You get your crit from gear and tallents (raid buffed i'm on 25%, add here scorch and fireball glyph), reforge mastery to hit, then balance haste around 15% self buffed, and then >> all to crit
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    i stll think that haste is superior. Raid buffed i have 20% haste, so, i can stack ignite for 20k per tick, without movement because ignite don't have time to start ticking if i got lucky crit streak.
    You get your crit from gear and tallents (raid buffed i'm on 25%, add here scorch and fireball glyph), reforge mastery to hit, then balance haste around 15% self buffed, and then >> all to crit
    This topic is from December
    Five months have passed since this topic was relevant
    You are disagreeing with information five months old, what was said here obviously no longer applies and it was pointless to bump it just to say so

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry, fought this thread with google
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.