Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    the thing that annoys me the most is that i have over 80 casts above 450 skill in the troll section and still no 2H-sword popped up -_-
    Last edited by elunuah; 2010-12-20 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wed View Post
    True, but:

There's nothing mandatory in the other tradeskills either, still you need them if you are minmaxing your character, which obviously most people like to do. So just telling everyone to "stop surveying" won't be an answer that people will accept.

There's only one thing bothering me about archeology: It's not botable - yet - and propably never will be which makes leveling it to max a chore. Just my two cents.
    Archeology is not a tradeskill. It's just like fishing and cooking.

My biggest beef is when the survey points you in flat out the WRONG direction. I've gotten reds, followed them in a straight line about 60 yards, and then gotten another red pointing off at a 90 degree angle from the course I had been following.

The huge digsite in the middle of Tanaris sucks too. Also Ymireim just because the mountain is ALWAYS between you and the artifact it seems.

And for those complaining about the scarcity of artifacts, try talking to a real world archaeologist. :P

Probably that in the beginning, it's boring as fuck, also, don't do it on any character that doesn't have 310 flying, if you value your sanity.

Archaeology is free, gold wise. And as you guys says yourself you can get phat epic 359's so what your problem? Stop crying please. Its an awesome proffesion and if you dont like it, stop surveying as the other dude said. Theres nothing you really need and no bis loots anyways. Chill

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedawgYO View Post
    Archaeology is free, gold wise. And as you guys says yourself you can get phat epic 359's so what your problem? Stop crying please. Its an awesome proffesion and if you dont like it, stop surveying as the other dude said. Theres nothing you really need and no bis loots anyways. Chill
    Opinions are free. quit crying about people discussing things they have in common. chill =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercoven View Post
    lets get a list going. what erks you the most?

for me its:
    1) survey cooldown
    2) the fact that the boas below 85 are just useless. i mean even if you use them, you'll use them for maybe half a level if that, if you are even inclined to use them at all. did i mention no vendor price.
    3) getting 150 fragments for an epic toy that doesn't last long but has a 40 min cooldown. not to mention the majority of the toys are less then amazing lol
    1) spot on
    2) FUCKING NIGHTELVES!
    3) the fact that as an alchemist wanting to create a potion to turn into a dragon, I'm FORCED to do it
    4) 3 nested stacks of RNG, 4 if you also count the VotS recipe drop
    5)you can't choose where to dig (oh, you want to research tol'vir? tough shit, you're researching night elves bizach!)

it's almost as if blizz decided to make the thing that WoW players hated most to meet a minimum shittiness quota to balance out how awesome the rest of cata was :P

---------- Post added 2010-12-20 at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Afakaz View Post
    My biggest beef is when the survey points you in flat out the WRONG direction. I've gotten reds, followed them in a straight line about 60 yards, and then gotten another red pointing off at a 90 degree angle from the course I had been following.

The huge digsite in the middle of Tanaris sucks too. Also Ymireim just because the mountain is ALWAYS between you and the artifact it seems.

And for those complaining about the scarcity of artifacts, try talking to a real world archaeologist. :P
    but at least theyre looking where they expect to find the things theyre looking for :P
    want a tolvir artifact? search night elf ruins. LOGIC

My main gripes about archeology:

1. RNG. About everything about this profession is pure RNG. Can't decide where you get to dig, can't control which item will pop up next...
    2. Vashjr digsites. Especially the huge one by the temple ruins. Takes ages to get there, drops fragments I don't event want, pain in the ass because you have no way of telling on which level you have to search, an did I mention that it is HUGE? This one makes me nerd rage so bad.
    3. Fossils becoming totally useless after you get max skill and the two rares. All you can do is stockpile the fragments and hope for a patch... digging up fossils sucks so bad, but you have to do it if you want other things to spawn. Special prize goes to the fossil digsite in strangle ("Yay, strangle! O wait...").
    4. Sub-level 85 Epics, pretty much useless except for vanity purposes, no motivation whatsoever to get them except maybe for the rare achievements
    5. The red indicator pointing in very misleading directions. For example the fossil digsite in hillsbrad... it always sends me like 5 times across the river before I can guess where I have to dig.
    6. Digging up like 6 green indicators in a straight row before getting the fragments... uh huh.
    7. Pretty much the same as 1. but yeah... This special moment when you have enough troll frags to complete a research... and you cross your fingers, pray to the troll gods etc... and the very same gray piece crap you were already researching pops up for the umpteenth time again! RAAAAGE.

Obviously I'm hunting for Zin'rokh (60+ troll researchs and counting), and yes, I know it would be the best for me to just to give up and settle for raid oder pvp wep... but then again I'm stubborn and the next troll item I get could be IT... gah I hate archeology but then again I'm kind of addicted by now... but I don't know how long I can take it anymore. :P

The fact that this isn't wearable: http://www.wowhead.com/item=63131

That's what bothers me most about Archaeology.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post
    The fact that this isn't wearable: http://www.wowhead.com/item=63131

That's what bothers me most about Archaeology.

This would clearly be too scandalous.

Thinking about it, it generally sucks that you can't equip any of the gray items...

The markers get more and more precise the closer you get. The red marker is pretty much a general direction. Try standing still when you get a red marker and survey several times in the same spot. The tripod will end up "sweeping" through almost 90 degrees. The yellow marker will shift a lot less, but it is by no means guaranteed to point straigt at the target either. The green will show you the right direction, BUT the tripod won't be pointing at the target. The straight line through the target will be from your characters body and in the direction parallell to where the tripod is pointing.

That's not a bug. That's just because the closer you get, the more precise readings you can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    The number 1 thing that bother's me about Archaelogy is; There are zero items that interest me. No weapons, no armor, no trinkets, no mounts. Well, I was semi interested in the Bug mount, but it turns out it's just a blue AQ mount. Just as an FYI, I play a Worgen Feral Druid.

Worgen = Running Wild which is IMO awesome. I haven't used any mount since I swapped & have no desire to.
    Druid = Instant cast 310% flying, better then any mount.
    Feral = There are zero items that are good for my spec from that profession.

Deleted
    Alch recipe BoP, meaning of all my chara to level Arch, it HAS to be the alchemist.

Awesome.

Not to mention, useless artifact in the nub levels. Not even joke items or such, just vendor crap. Making the early levels completely uninteresting.

Not a damn thing bothers me in Archaeology. And if you don't find some of the lower level BoA gear fun, you are odd. I received the Headdress of the First Shaman yesterday and I must say that it is a very unique effect. When you right click the buff it gives you, you are able to move around and walk and then switch back to wherever you placed your sight. It's quite interesting. The profession is great and I'm really enjoying it.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

I shall comment on all the major concerns:

5 Second Cooldown: This really isn't all that bad once you figure out how to do Archaeology efficiently (red = fly, yellow = ground mount, green = triagulate). I'd be happy if it was 4 seconds, but 5 is fine
    Low Level BoAs: These are kinda a throw-back to old expansions, kinda akin to collecting Tier 1 or old Legendaries. They aren't really useful, but fun to have. I figure there will be more of this added in the future.
    Red Indicator accuracy: Again, this just takes practise in learning how to see it as a 'that way' indicator and not a specific direction. As you do more digs you get a better feel for where they spawn, so it becomes more helpful. I will admit that it can be rather annoying sometimes, esepcially in the larger dig sites
    Tol'vir/Troll/Fossil: Now here's where I feel Archaeology truly needs work.

Basically what Archaeology needs is this:

When you first collect a given race's fragments a bar starts to fill. After, say, 50 fragments have been collected from that race a button becomes available that lets you focus on that race. This causes dig sites for that race to appear X% more often. After, say, 100 fragments, you can specialize further, and get them more often. Then, at say 200 fragments, you can make it so that ONLY that race spawns.

I, for one, am growing weary of flying across Kalimdor waiting for those blasted Tol'vir sites to spawn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madluck View Post
    The suervey CD is to long it should be like 5sec instead of 10.
    It's 5 seconds you dimwit

Quote Originally Posted by paloo View Post
    This would clearly be too scandalous.

Thinking about it, it generally sucks that you can't equip any of the gray items...
    That would be a nice future update to archaeology really, make the finds, the ones representing equipment such as the dwarven shield, troll knife and such (Not as if there aren't any usable models for those types of items in the gamefiles) into white statless vanity items, can always make other ones into offhand frill items (Add a fedora-hat as either find or achievement-item to complement the "Fiendish whip" from orcish archaeology and we're almost at the Indiana Jones outfit :P )

A real life archaeologist would probably also tell you to stop digging for egyptian artifacts in Greece and Italy

The amount of troll dig sites compared to the ammount of troll rares (which is only one)

They need to make the costumes have a longer duration. My arch will be on my ele shammy, and he doesn't use any of the 359 weapons. The hearthstone won't help much either. I'm doing it because I always max my professions. If I recall, most costumes have a 20 second duration with 10-60 minute CD. This is retarded. No I don't have to get the costumes, but 20 seconds? That gives me enough time to pop it, only for the guy I'm showing it to to have a to BIO and miss it. By simply comparing it to all other costumes, which is fair, it's broken. Extend the duration to 5+ minutes. No one will complain about this, and everyone will either not care or like it.