Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Cataclysm Rare and Rare Elite, The MMO Report, Comics

Update - Moved the Hunter Pets to their own tables and added maps for each one of them!

Cataclysm Rare and Rare Elite Monsters (with the help of Simca)
    In Cataclysm, there are the standard rare spawns like there have always been. They drop blues and some additional gold and there are quite a few in every zone. However, there are also a few special rares that deserve a mention.
    Originally Posted by http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/23128/thank-you-for-the-outdoor-raid-bosses
    We agree with you, which is why these aren't outdoor raid bosses. A good STRONG 5 player group should be able to handle these bosses, but you certainly have the option to make a raid and give it a shot as well. Good luck.

1. 5-man World Bosses
    There are five of these new world bosses, one in each zone. Each one has 3-5 abilities (Julak-Doom has a mind control, Xariona does void zones, etc), but they're mostly straightforward fights. Each drops several hundred gold and one specific item.

Note: The Whale Shark and Vaskar don't count because they drop no loot and aren't rare.

NPC IDNameZoneItem
    50056GarrMount HyjalGarr's Girdle of Memories
    50009MobusAbyssal Depths, Vashj'irMobus's Vile Halberd
    50061XarionaDeepholmXariona's Spectral Claws
    50063AkmahatUldumBelt of a Thousand Mouths
    50089Julak-DoomTwilight HighlandsBeak of Julak-Doom

2. Special Rares
    There are two other rare spawns that function in very unique ways, and both reward very interesting mounts.

2.1 Aeonaxx - Deepholm (Flying Mount)
    The first of the two is Aeonaxx, who flies around Deepholm. The unique part is that you don't attack Aeonaxx to engage him. He starts out friendly, and then you right-click him to mount him like a vehicle. From here on, the fight takes place entirely on his back and he will erratically fly around Deepholm presumably trying to shake you off. The only source of damage to you in this fight is little whelp adds that Aeonaxx will call to his aid. When killed, he drops Reins of the Phosphorescent Stone Drake.

2.2 Dormus the Camel-Hoarder
    The second rare is even more strange. There are rare spawn Mysterious Camel Figurines around Uldum. When clicked on, sometimes these figurines will just disappear and leave you with vendor trash. Other times, it will teleport you to an area between Feralas and Silithus called the "The Steam Pools", which has its separate zone channel and everything. An elite will spawn called Dormus the Camel-Hoarder. The actual fight against Dormus is very easy as he doesn't hit very hard at all. When he is dead, he will drop Reins of the Grey Riding Camel!

The problem is, Mysterious Camel Figurines are extremely rare, already extremely camped, and not that easy to spot... I think you'll just never get this mount... Bah, ok, I'll help.

3. NPCScan to the Rescue!
    NPCScan is an addon that will make your life considerably easier, it tracks rare monsters by proximity alone and completely removes the need of a /Target macro to check if a rare monster is in range. The thing is, Mysterious Camel Figurines are handled as creature by the game and using NPCScan to find them will work just fine!

The current version of NPCScan isn't updated for Cataclysm because the add-on builds its list of rare-elites by scanning the achievement, sadly there isn't any achievement to hunt rare monsters in Cataclysm. To scan for Cataclysm rare monsters, type /npcscan in-game and add their creatureID (left column in the table below) and their name to the list of custom NPCs to track.

NPC IDNameZoneNote
    50409Mysterious Camel FigurineUldumSee 2.2 Dormus the Camel-Hoarder
    50410Mysterious Camel FigurineUldumSee 2.2 Dormus the Camel-Hoarder
    50411Mysterious Camel FigurineUldumSee 2.2 Dormus the Camel-Hoarder

That's how you want it to look (I deleted the pre-built WotLK custom NPCs, you don't have to do that)

3.1 Hunter Rare Pets
    You can obviously use it to scan all the rares included in the expansion, for example it's incredibly useful if you're a hunter looking for rare pets!

NPC IDNameZoneNote
    50051GhostcrawlerVashj'ir - Abyssal DepthsTameable (See the article)
    50058TerrorpeneMount HyjalTameable
    49822JadefangDeepholmTameable + Tiny Shale Spider
    51403Madexx (Black)UldumTameable
    51404Madexx (Blue)UldumTameable
    51401Madexx (Red)UldumTameable
    51402Madexx (Green)UldumTameable
    50154Madexx (Yellow)UldumTameable
    50159SambasTwilight HighlandsTameable
    50138KaromaTwilight HighlandsTameable

3.2 Level 80+ Rare Monsters
    Also, even if there isn't any rare-related achievement for Cataclysm it's always a nice boost of experience when find one while you're leveling alts. I listed most of them but a few are probably missing.

NPC IDNameZoneNote
    51079Captain FoulwindVashj'ir - Shimmering Expanse
    51071Captain FlorenceVashj'ir - Shimmering Expanse
    50005PoseidusVashj'ir - Shimmering Expanse
    50052Burgy BlackheartVashj'ir - Shimmering Expanse
    49913Lady LaLaVashj'ir - Kelp'thar Forest
    50050Shok'sharakVashj'ir - Abyssal Depths
    50053Thartuk the ExileMount Hyjal
    50057BlazewingMount Hyjal
    50060TerborusDeepholm
    50059GolgarokDeepholm
    50064Cyrus the BlackUldum
    50409Mysterious Camel FigurineUldumSee 2.2 Dormus the Camel-Hoarder
    50410Mysterious Camel FigurineUldumSee 2.2 Dormus the Camel-Hoarder
    50411Mysterious Camel FigurineUldumSee 2.2 Dormus the Camel-Hoarder
    50065ArmagedilloUldum
    50085Overlord SunderfuryTwilight Highlands
    50086Tarvus the VileTwilight Highlands

The MMO Report
    Hey, look, it's your weekly MMO Report!

Comics
    Dark Legacy Comics #268 and Teh Gladiators #194 + #195 are out!

Last edited by Boubouille; 2010-12-20 at 02:57 PM.

Now EVERYONE is going to camp Aeonaxx =D

Deleted
    Exactly >_> some things should not be front page news Boub :<

Is NPCScan /legal/? It seems to me it's automating keypresses. You don't have to continually do /target-ing?

Deleted
    i have seen akma'hat .. i my first thought was hey a rare whoohoo here i go .. popped my wolves my sham rage dropped my totems and 5 second later i was dead :S .. then i noticed his hp 30 000k

enjoy camping 3-4 days to get aeonaxx, glad I already have him

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    /use mind vision *insert target* ftw

lol i raided xariona the 1st day of cata with 10 other people...fun times

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyfoeth View Post
    Is NPCScan /legal/? It seems to me it's automating keypresses. You don't have to continually do /target-ing?
    its been out for a hella long time, i D/L'd it in my search for the TLPD, still have yet to get it lol... got the "rare" achivement for killing all of Outlands and Northrend rare spawns tho works great

Very through as usual Bibi... I had no idea about those 5man bosses.

Deleted
    Why posting about Aeonaxx?
    Now everyone will camp it and those that do since the start of the expansion, 13 days... now have even less chances =(
    /nerdrage

Sigh, suddenly 20 more people are flying around for the drake now..

Deleted
    Because Aeonaxx was already easy to find/camp... Sigh, not nerd raging or something, but some stuff should be kept locked away... :|

Yeah, Aeonaxx is going to be super camped, as will the silly camel statues. What a drag...

"Note: The Whale Shark and Vaskar don't count because they drop no loot and aren't rare."

Also you forgot Kolorath, he's pretty rare, can hit for almost 2 million on a plate-wearer, and drops no special loot.

Well there goes my chance of finishing camping Aeonaxx, l'sigh.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ot4ku-mh View Post
    Now everyone will camp it and those that do since the start of the expansion, 13 days... now have even less chances =(
    /nerdrage
    /this! nc mmo

Deleted
    NPC scanner gathers information from your combat log, I believe? I dunno xD

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar275 View Post
    Sigh, suddenly 20 more people are flying around for the drake now..
    Same here =(
    Last edited by mmoc65c405abf8; 2010-12-20 at 12:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ot4ku-mh View Post
    /nerdrage
    Same.. trying it for almost a week now and now it will be overly camped.

all the spoilers..