Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Blizzard reference poor taste - am I taking this too far?

I for one have enjoyed a lot of the references alluded to in the game, but came across one yesterday which I'm either reading too much into, or doesn't belong in a game.

Harrison Jones quest lines in Uldum, bit further down the line you meet a German accented goblin doing experiments on Gobbles.

Am I reading too much into this or does everyone get the same impression that I do?

T

The worst thing you can do with any controversial issue is make it a taboo. The more you know...

There are many literary references to Nazi Occultism, and I think this is just one more of those. It has nothing specifically to do with the Holocaust or anything like that, if that is what you're driving at. And since Indiana Jones movies often take place in Europe during WWII, Nazis are a part of the story lines.

Wasn't he trying to save gobbles and return him to his normal form? Cept the player "messed up" and gave Schnottz the wrong number of artifacts.

Deleted
    I assumed gobbles was a south park refrence tbh

offense is never given, only taken

but yeah, the top scientists have always been what.....german. they were 25 years ahead of the rest of the world in the early/mid 1900s and if not for the SCIENTISTS refusing certain info to hitler, we'd all be speaking german. their rockets were FAR more powerful and faster, they had the first computer, first closed circuit TV, etc

then they all defected

Saw a reference of what I believe to be Jonathon coulton

Skullcrusher the mountain - Skullcrusher mountain? Has an achievement too

I just took it as a Raiders of the Lost Ark deal
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Damson View Post
    I assumed gobbles was a south park refrence tbh
    That's the first thing that popped into my head too.

GOBBLES!!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares? The characters aren't based off of real people. It's not like his name is Shitler or something

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Who cares? The characters aren't based off of real people. It's not like his name is Shitler or something
    Is it bad that I'd still find it hilarious if that was his name?

Deleted
    The whole quest line involving Harrison Jones is taken directly from the 3 older Indiana Jones films. Before you start taking offence, go and watch them...

Warning: Spoilers ahead.

Schnottz is a reference to Hitler. Gobbles is, of course, Goebbels, Hitler's chief of propaganda. After Gobbles dies, he yells, "NINE! NINE! NINE! NINE! NINE! NINE!!" alluding to the movie Inglourious Basterds in which Hitler yells "NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!"

He has you go on a quest to hunt for "The Desert Fox", the Desert Fox was the nickname of Erwin Rommel, leader of the 7th Panzer Division in the German/Italian North African campaign against the British.

Later, his building in the camp explodes, but he miraculously survives. The most famous assassination attempt on Hitler nearly killed him, but unfortunately the bomb was not high enough impact to actually kill Hitler. Schnottz comments, "If I was any taller I would be dead!"

The visitors in Schnottz's camp can be alluded to Holocaust victims, but the reference isn't nearly as direct.

I think the reference is pretty hilarious IMO, if you keep at the Schnottz quest chain you see that the little bastard gets what he deserves eventually. I guess in the context of the Harrisson Jones stuff he's meant to be the typical Nazi villain, but Blizzard decided to have fun with him and throw in Hitler references.

Oh, and Schnottz is also cited as "The Furrier", making the reference all the more obvious...
    Last edited by Dominating; 2010-12-20 at 02:50 PM.

"lighten up, francis" is obligatory in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindfaith View Post
    The whole quest line involving Harrison Jones is taken directly from the 3 older Indiana Jones films. Before you start taking offence, go and watch them...
    thanks for your concern. I do know where the reference came from, however it's still a direct play on a similar anagram of Gobbles. Before people start spouting rhetoric regarding offense, it's clear that I'm not the only person that seen the connection here and I don't believe any of that stuff belongs in a light hearted game.

Feel free to disagree with me, I just know you wouldn't hold the stance you do on a podium with a live audience. But german doctor, experimenting, Gobbles? it's a bit too far in my book.

I'm not offended at all, and find sickipedia etc hilarious. I just don't believe its an issue that should be shared in a game context.

My bet? It's a joke a dev wanted to slip through unnoticed.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Commander_Schnottz

Shnottz and Gobbles are clear references to hitler. Hes a bad guy. So what?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trazer985 View Post
    I for one have enjoyed a lot of the references alluded to in the game, but came across one yesterday which I'm either reading too much into, or doesn't belong in a game.

Harrison Jones quest lines in Uldum, bit further down the line you meet a German accented goblin doing experiments on Gobbles.

Am I reading too much into this or does everyone get the same impression that I do?

T
    Gobbles is a joke on who you think it is. But the experiment part might be reading too much into it. The NINE! NINE! NINE! NINE! references Hitler in his bunker. And that whole expedition of "german" references the germans in Indiana Jones movies.

Some take the game far too seriously.
    What's wrong with making fun of a bad historical figure?
    What more, what's wrong with referencing an actual character from Indiana Jones? I am pretty sure there's that theme involved.
    But no, people take offence in that.

You have opened one of the pandora's boxes of the internet. Close it soon.
    Reality hits like a baseball bat, duck-taped to a bus on top of a truck ... thats moving very fast!

Ok, do light hearted references to horrific war crimes warrant a place in a game? All of you who think yes, discuss such a viewpoint with your family, and see their reactions.