Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbait View Post
    wow I'm surprised at the accurate/specific responses here, I thought I was alone as a modeller (but some information can be picked up from the model viewer)

what they said ^^ don't assume Blizzard can't make circles, it's a click and drag in every modelling software to my knowledge (cylinders)

Exactly, when you click and drag it doesn't make a circle. It is usually a dodecagon or a hexadecagon. For a smoother shape you just pick a shape with more sides but you can't make curved lines in 3D Studio Max from what I have seen, which I think is what they use for the in-game models (I seem to remember some screenshots of them developing Silvermoon City which were done in 3D Max.).
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    this might be a necro by now, but I'll bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Selxxa View Post
    I'm skeptical about how much more performance power it would take to make the wheels appear less square.

Can a 3D modeler answer if this is true or not?
    3d modelling art and the engine that supports the enitre game are unrelated. but I assure you that in the long run, it matters in file size and performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Exactly, when you click and drag it doesn't make a circle. It is usually a dodecagon or a hexadecagon. For a smoother shape you just pick a shape with more sides but you can't make curved lines in 3D Studio Max from what I have seen, which I think is what they use for the in-game models (I seem to remember some screenshots of them developing Silvermoon City which were done in 3D Max.).
    the 2010 3ds max version had a similar feature to that, don't know about previous versions though. the method Blizzard uses is probably box-modelling (start from a primitive shape and extend it like clay until you get the basic shape of what you want, add details, etc.). you can easily catch it in the human male model.

Quote Originally Posted by esmifra View Post
    The creativity some people have in their QQ keeps me astonished..
    Really!

Freakin amazing!
    Must agree with this post

Quote Originally Posted by Selxxa View Post
    I'm skeptical about how much more performance power it would take to make the wheels appear less square.

Can a 3D modeler answer if this is true or not?
    The increased stress to render them is massive actually. The number of polygons you'd have to render would be many many times more, and while plenty of computers COULD handle it, Blizzard want their game to be accessible through lots of systems, and add to that lining up multiple goblin mounts in a row, it COULD drastically slow down a lot of machines.