Thread: new zealand isp

10+ Year Old Account

new zealand isp

hey,im moving back to new zealand in a few months,and im looking for a reasonable isp for wow.
    if any of you could let me know of your isp (internet service provider) and roughly how much your latency you have would be terrific!
    ive known for a while that latency is quite high from aus/nz from most isp companies...but there are a few ive heard of that are fine,help me out please =)
    it would save me alot of time searching.

depends where your going to live there, im in wellington and i use telecom and its pretty fullproff

Sending you over to the Computer section. They are wise.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

I'm with orcon, sit around 200-250 ms, and i'm in earthquakeville (chch).
    Doesn't crash like I did with telecom and telstra. Pricing is pretty sweet.
    My friend recently switched from telecom to orcon and hes liking it too.

Orcon is fairly good. In NZ, I'd recommend shelling out the extra couple of $ a month for WoWTunnels as well. When I'm in NZ on my Orcon connection, I get around 150-170 ping through WoWTunnels.

EDIT: Do not use WoWTunnels unless you have an authenticator, btw. And if you use the same password for your email account as your WoW account.. #1 WHYYYYY?? #2 Don't use WoWTunnels.

It's not that the company is suspect, it's just that "no risk" is far less than "some risk".

Inb4 "but there's no such thing as 'no risk'". Of course not. You can't guarantee you'll finish your next post without an asteroid crashing into your house either. For these purposes "no" and "extremely, very low" are interchangeable so as to remove pendantism.. Which, I've kinda made moot by typing all this.. ><
    Last edited by Janaa; 2010-12-21 at 05:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    Orcon is fairly good. In NZ, I'd recommend shelling out the extra couple of $ a month for WoWTunnels as well. When I'm in NZ on my Orcon connection, I get around 150-170 ping through WoWTunnels.
    I'm also using wowtunnels. MS goes down to 100-170 while using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you all for your quick replies,ive heard alot about orcon but a friend of mine also has it and he gets around 400-600 latency,which is not bad nor good.

i thank you all for your help,ill look into orcon when i get back over there.

im in chch and i use snap. except when some idiot crashes into a supply box, they are pretty good, i run at 200-300ms comfortably.

10+ Year Old Account
    - removed -
    Last edited by Ibeblinkin; 2012-04-11 at 01:42 PM.

I would recommend World Net. Extremely reliable, great customer service, reasonable prices. I would stay well away from Xtra - they have had the worst ISP customer service 7 years running.

Quote Originally Posted by divinepurpose View Post
    thank you all for your quick replies,ive heard alot about orcon but a friend of mine also has it and he gets around 400-600 latency,which is not bad nor good.

i thank you all for your help,ill look into orcon when i get back over there.
    400-600 will be common in many places, without WoWtunnels. It's worth running WoWtunnels on top of a 500ms connection. It'd bring it down to 170-220, usually. Unless you're in a super-rural location.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry for the late reply,back in nz and got orcon have 200 latency,you are all brilliant thanks a bunch for your help

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really sure how much difference the ISP makes for latency, Telecom stopped "prioritizing" gaming/p2p traffic over a year ago. I sit at around ~190-250ms from Auckland, I'm with Telecom.
    In the end all NZ ISP's have to use the same main cable going below the Tasman.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-19 at 12:13 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze