Post A Cataclysmic Guide to Making Gold - Profession Leveling Edition

With the release of World of Warcraft Cataclysm comes several new adventures leading to hours of enjoyment and opportunities to strike it rich. Many of these opportunities can be once in a lifetime while others can provide long term investments which can allow for a great deal of income and a wealthy wallet to spend on anything you might find roaming around the Auction House.

Throughout the course of this guide I will provide information that many are unaware of, and has lead me to make several thousand gold in short burst of time and build a stable income based on simple actions with low risk and high profits all while I managed to level my professions. Coming into Cataclysm I was not rich, in fact I was looking forward to leveling from 80 to 85 just so I can break five thousand gold and have enough income to hopefully to level my professions and purchase some enchants and gems for all the new gear I planned on collecting. This guide is truly goes from rags to riches, getting easier and easier the farther long you go, so lets get started!

First, and most importantly are the Addons. While my UI will show that I have several Addons there are only two that truly matter.

Addons
    Postal - Easy mail retrieval
    I use Postal because of many reasons but the main reasons is due to the fact it adds a single button called "Open All" Which does just that. It will open and loot all the mail you have in your inbox. This makes life so much easier when you have several auctions going at any given time.

Auctioneer - Easiest way to buy and sell bulk

I generally use Auctioneer so that I can get updated prices on all items while I am out farming materials. Auctioneer also allows for easy auction creation and purchasing. One main thing you should always do before trying to work the auction house is run a Full Scan. Afterward your tooltips will display the most current prices on all items.

Getting Started
    Requirements
    Fishing
    Fishing Poll
    Find Fish

Like I stated before this guide can take you from rags to riches and because of that I will show the steps I took, in order to start loading up on materials to work the Auction House with.

The first thing you will need is a Fishing Poll and the ability to Find Fish. If you do not have the ability to Find Fish there is a quick and easy way to learn the ability. Simply go to wetlands and look through the small rivers and lake for Schooner Wreckage, fish in them until you get a Watertight Trunk. The trunk contains everything from pre-bc materials to the priceless Weather-beaten Journal which will teach you how to Find Fish! Now that we are all ready to begin, lets start making money.

Fishing can be highly profitable if you know what to look for. There are two types of pools across three zones that can turn a profit in a matter of minutes. The two types of pools are Pools of Fire and Shipwreck Debris.

Pools of Fire
    The Pools of Fire can be found in two zones; Mount Hyjal and Twilight Highlands. Both of which have one area that the pools can be found, however Mount Hyjal is the safest bet considering it is away from questing areas and harder to stumble upon. When you fish inside the Pools of Fire you collect Volatile Fires (1-8 per pool!)
    Mount Hyjal

Like stated before Mount Hyjal is your best bet. The Pools of Fire are on a ten to fifteen minute respawn which leaves plenty of time to check Twilight Highlands if you are feeling lucky.

Twilight Highlands

This section of Twilight Highlands is a main area for level 84s soon to hit 85 which mean these pools are often found by people completing quest literally on top of these pools. While they are capable of being farmed it is a lot less reliable then Mount Hyjal. Once again these pools are on a ten to fifteen minute respawn which leaves room to travel to Mount Hyjal, post auction, or farm other materials.

Shipwreck Debris
    Shipwreck Debris can be found in the neutral section of Tol Barad Peninsula and when fished in can provide some serious loot. The main drop from Shipwreck Debris is Sealed Crates which contain several items, some of which are vendor trash, others are valued up to 100g on the auction house. A simple list of valuables is below

Sealed Crates:
    All types of Volatile elements
    Obsidium Ore
    Elementium Ore
    Pyrite Ore
    Embersilk Cloth
    Heavy Savage Leather
    Cataclysm Herbs

The path you take in Tol Barad Peninsula is very simple if you are a Shaman, Death Knight, or have access to Water Walking elixirs. If you follow the path given in the following image you will only have to worry about the Shark who swims around and the opposing faction. While you can take a similar path by land it is not suggested due to the high density of mobs which will slow down progress.

Tol Barad Peninsula

A small note about farming Sealed Crates is Shipwreck Debris share spawns with Fathom Eel Pools which means you might have to fish up some of them to make room for more Shipwrecks. Fathom Eels are required for Skewered Eel and Seafood Magnifique Feast recipes which are both useful and can turn a profit. Lastly, Fathom Eel Pools also contain Volatile Waters which leads to extra gold in hand.

While making this guide I made one trip to all three zones, all Pools of Fire were present and gathered for a total of 40 Volatile Fires. I also found two Shipwreck Debris which gave me two Sealed Crates; both of which contained 3 Heavy Savage Leather.
    Volatile Fires were currently 25 gold each on the auction house while Heavy Savage Leathers were running 67 gold each For a grand total of 1402 gold after a short trip around the world.

Doing this several times a day, for days at a time can easily net you several thousand gold and in the long run make you rich. The only problem with this is that overtime these tricks will become more known; lowering Auction House prices and availability to farm.

Shortly after making ten thousand gold from using the above method I wanted to find a more stable and long term way to manage my profits.
    Last edited by roofy; 2010-12-27 at 09:44 AM.