Guide on how to PvP on a low-pop server:

General Information:
If you're reading this, then that means you play on a server with a low population. This can cause many problems for people looking for arena teams or in finding groups for battle grounds. Fear not, I have spent the greater portion of my time on low populated servers while focusing most of my time on PvP. I managed to gain PvP titles as well as some of the shinier gear; this of course means that you can do the same.

There is a common saying among PvP'ers when it comes to low populated servers. "If you want to PvP, save your self the trouble and just transfer off" And many do. But you can save your self the expenses!

Index:
1.a Finding players
1.b Networking
2. Contact
3. What is expected of you.
4. Tying the knot

1.a Finding players.

This can be a lot tricker than you may think. Simply shouting in trade chat rarely brings you many players, let alone the ones you actually want to play with. Like any other server, a low populated server has their cliques. Getting into these groups (or often group--as there wont be many PvP'ers on the server) isn't that hard. The trouble comes with finding them. Usually they will be a close knit of friends who "know all the people worth grouping with" and those they do not know, they often wont look twice at. So even if they see "Pro PvP'er looking for arena team" they will brush you off as an 'unknown' and consider you a noob. Remember like anything else first impression is everything. Trust me when i tell you that it will stick for a long while. It is best to be looked upon as an unknown rather than "That guy you grouped with that one time who wasn't too hot". Keep in mind that because it is a low population, you don't have many people to pick from and being tossed aside isn't something you can afford when you first meet people.

So know you have to first find them. one of the best ways to do this is with the armory. Look up the top arena teams for your server. Looking at twos will give you a good idea of the 'closer' bunch of friends while 5's will give you an idea of the group at large. (Both will be important in Networking). You usually want to look at the top 3-5 teams for each bracket. Look for recurring names, this will tell you the general center of these groups. You'll also be able to see if they share the same guild. Guilds on low pop servers are much less important. Sometimes you'll see PvP'ers in the same guild, but because it's low pop, they wont have as many pugging opportunities; so you'll see them spread out sometimes in raiding guilds. If you're lucky enough to find a central PvP guild that many top players are in, then you can skip to 1.b.

If the players seem spread out through many different guilds then note the names. Try and find people who play 2's 3's and 5's together. They are your best chance at working your way into the group. You may be saying to your self that "2's? they don't matter..." well on a low population server, many people have trouble getting groups together, so often the most arenas you'll see will be in two's. If you have trouble narrowing down a group of people with this method, then stick with networking with the top few people that you do find.

1.b Networking.

Remember first impressions? Well you have to come off to these people with confidence; (It helps to actually be good at PvP--This isn't a "How to PvP" guide; If you aren't already reliable then this may not be of much use to you) the PvP'ers you want to play with are going to be the best for the server an since they are the best, they will be confident in their own abilities and naturally assume better than those they don't know. Play on that; it will help you 'get on their good side'. I'm not saying that these people can't eventually become your friends, but often you'll find the same attitude among them all and they will seem some-what guarded. One thing you don't want to do is come off as smug. You don't want to ever imply that you are the best or better--whether you are or not. If you are better, and then brag, then you'll just succeed at meeting haters. Be some-what modest about your skill. Try your best when playing with them. Don't ask for to much help or advice. Work their ego a different way, you want to look competent on your own. Instead, praise them while in a BG, "Oh nice kite" "Nice heals dude, that was nuts"<- even if you die. Dieing will make them upset obviously, so you complimenting even in a loss, will turn their attention away from the fact you guys got rolled and make them feel warmer towards you. If you're in a group with people and lose a lot, then they will automatically look at you. (it's only natural)

Think of this stage as you would in real life while milking a boss or coworker to ease your way into their good graces. Your main priority is to get into PvP with them sooner than later. If you wait until you're friends then you'll just end up falling behind as the season progresses. This sounds a little cold but like i said, there is no reason you can't later become friends with these people. The idea here is to get them to like you and get enough face time to bring up arenas. This way you're no longer an unknown. Assuming you're good at PvP, you'd have the chance to show them that. More often than not, you'll find an opening with someone in the group to do 3's if not 2's. And even just playing with a few people, you can get your name out there and they can pass on to the others of a possible arena partner.

The reason 2's and 5's are important is: For 2's, you know the close friends and that you'll want to PvP with both of them. If those 2 can agree upon you positivity then your chances with the bigger group increases drastically. For 5's you see who the closers friends are friends with. You can pick these individuals out so that when your name is brought up, they will remember you. Sticking with just the small portion of a group isn't always enough. IE: You look good in front of 2 and they mention you to the group. If some of the group at least remember you name, then they might think there is something here. But if not, then the majority will toss aside the notion. so lets say out of a group of 8. you 'get in good' with 2. They mention to the others "Hey Jim is a pretty good warrior...." if 2 or 3 others mention that they remember playing with you, then they will remember your name and tie it with the 2's comment about you being good. other wise, they'll see that comment, and if they play with you, they will already have expectations that if aren't met right off the bat, will make you look nub-ish.

2. Contact.

Now to bridge finding people to networking. How do you go about doing it? You've already found the players and you want to make them notice you. It might come off a bit weird to randomly whisper them, though this is pretty much what you have to do. But there is a tactic you can try that might help your cause. Whisper them that follows this structure:
-"Hey, I want to get some people to PvP with. I saw you on armory with a decent arena team rating and thought you might like to group up some time and run some bg's or something."

Break-down: "I want to get some people to PvP with..." In stead of asking to PvP with them, you're inviting them to pvp with you. This implies that you consider yourself worthy of their time. It's a subtle way of showing your self confidence. "I saw you on the armory with a decent arena team rating..." Remember that you're looking at the highest ratted teams for the server. If the rating isn't very good, then omit that part. You don't want to say they have a ~good rating when they-themselves think and or know it isn't to good. It makes you look like a bady right off the start. You want it to sound as though you are only mildly impressed, this too will add to your self confidence in that you assume you can get higher then them without insulting them straight forward. "Thought you might like to run BG's or something"; here you are suggesting to them that you consider them PvP'ers and not to be confused with side PvP'ers. Also, it leaves it open ended to arenas. "or something" showing that you are interested in playing with them and they might consider testing you out if they are looking for someone to fill arena team spots. They might not ask right out about arenas, but chances are that you'll at least get to play with them a little. It is important to ask often (once a day at most) but only use that opening once per person you talk to. each time after use something like "Hey, I'm queuing for some random bg's, wanna tag along?" keep it casual and there is also another trick to your 'speech'. This will sound a bit weird, but type casually to them. for instance, don't put to much pressure on perfect punctuation and capital letters. I don't mean to try and type like you're an idiot, but if you're constantly typing that way, then it comes off to scripted and it makes you appear to be a kind of stiff. You'll find that the majority of PvP'ers are generally laid back people. It is important however to not misspell. You'll just look like a kid, or an idiot if you use a lot of abbreviations like ppl, u, r, 2, etc. the best approach is to use comma's periods and what have you, but not to always capitalize. think of when you type to friends. you often don't go through the effort to always make sure you type perfectly. It sounds weird, but you want your message to appear as natural as if it were anyone else.

Remembering that low-pop server means that the 'best' already know who to-and not to group with. It means that they don't care about people they don't know. you want to work your way in and not force it.

3. What is expected of you.

This may seem obvious but I'll cover it anyways. You are to know everything PvP. Know your spec, know their spec, know every talent, every ability, everything about everything. Again i'm assuming that you are a good PvP'er and you're just having trouble finding the people. being good implies that you can offer feedback on anything PvP related. Why? because you need to find topics to talk about while you BG. Showing your knowledge is an easy way to make yourself look good. And thats all it takes. Look good and they'll have a reason to remember your name and play with you more. But heres the thing (and i've seen it quite often) arguments that turn south. You can go from a cool dude, to a crappy douche bag in a matter of seconds if you decide to argue a topic or point that you really shouldn't. Pay attention to where the conversations go. Yield to them when i comes to a matter like arena team comps > other comps. Stuff like that will just make them think you're an idiot if they think your wrong whether you are or not. You're not their friend yet and they wont take your advice on anything because they have no reason to trust your opinions.

You're expected to have vent, and in many cases, skype. Often you'll find these small groups just using skype since a vent server would just be a waste of money for so few people using it. with this, a mic. something to keep in mind. Be aware of your own voice. It will annoy then to find out that you don't have a mic to talk, but it will annoy them even more if you sound like a total goof ball. If you're young, and sound it. then you might be better off holding off on the talking until you can get a good standing with them first. If they hear a kid, then thats all they will see. It's a sad truth that you have to be ready to deal with.

You have to have PvP gear. They wont like it if you try playing with them and can't keep up with current gear. It means that they wont want to party with you. You'll be expected to pull your own weight. And with that, good BG stats. Your number one goal is to not die. Deaths can stack up easy and even going 20-15, looks bad. sure you may have a decent number of kills but 9-0 looks better than 20-15. 9-0 could be explain by doing objectives, defending a flag or some such thing. If you're a healer, then heal the nuts out of your new pvp buddies. whether you die first or not, they will notice the heals and like you a lot for it.

4. Tying the knot.

So you've found your players, you've figured out how you're going to interact with them, you've played with them in BG's, and your in semi-constant contact with them. If by this time you haven't join their PvP guild (if there is one), ask for an inv. If it is a PvP guild, you've PvP'ed with them, and they still don't inv you, then they are most likely unaware of your PvP intentions. The best way to join their ranks is to be in the same guild. It makes you more easily noticed for inv's.

If their ins't a PvP guild, and they are spread out, then try setting up an in-game chat [/join PvP] and invite them to join. and/or you can try joining w/e guild the majority of them are in if you're not in it already. The important thing to to try and play with them as much as possible. A lot of this could be looked at as befriending the PvP'ers on your server. But like i said, being friends takes to long. You want them to notice you, and you want to let them know you're arena ready. after that, continue to play with them and make new internet buddies.