HoG isnt going to refresh immolate in time, what to do?

Hey

So what with all the new bits and bobs demo needs to keep a eye on, low haste values and with HoG cool down being to high im sure many of us demo locks are finding HoG isnt going to refresh immolate intime, i usally come to that conclusion when immo has less then 3 seconds left and i havent even began casting hog.

When i get to this situtation i just cast a fel flame to get a few more seconds on it then follow that up with a HoG and carry on, mainly because I can do this instantly and on the move and its new and shiny.

But im maybe thinking this isnt a good idea? i mean there would be enough time for me to refresh immolate with just a normal cast but if i was to do that and follow up with a HoG straight away I wouldnt recieve the full extended duration of immolate that HoG brings (somebody confirm?), and not casting hog as soon as possible is nothing but a bad idea so leaving immolate to tick for a few seconds before casting it is out the question, also the inital damage immolate deals seems quite simmillar to the damage fel flame deals so im not to sure what to do.

Whats the correct procedure?

Immolate hits harder than FF. Use immo then HoG. HoG is there more for pet crit anyways.

It sounds like you have gone too far over the haste thresholds. Take a look at this sticky. I'm finding it quite difficult to refresh immolate when I go over about 1600 haste. An example:

5% haste
    Immolate: 15s duration, 3s ticks
    3s / 1.05 = 2.86s Ticks Hasted
    15s / 2.86s = 5.24 Ticks per Immolate

So there are 5 ticks in a 15 second immolate. If there are 2.86 seconds in between, we have:

2.86 * 5 = 14.3 seconds. If we have 7% haste, the ticks hasted becomes 2.80 (3s/1.07) , this then gives 14 seconds - see how the duration reduces as you increase your haste? Then you get to a point when your ticks round up and you gain a tick (the sticky tells you all this anyway).

You shouldn't ever have to use FF to refresh immolate - if every time (or most times) you do not have the time to refresh Immolate via HoG (and you are definitely not prioritising anything else other than ISF over it), you recast immolate, because the DD from immolate is higher than FF, and the DPET of Immolate itself is higher, because you apply the full dot, not just adding 6 seconds onto it. You get more ticks per application with immolate itself.

It is much better to drop down to a comfortable haste level and to use HoG everytime than to manually cast immolate, and it's much better to manually recast immolate than to use FF instead. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jenerena; 2010-12-21 at 04:46 PM.

I have a question on this subject also but dont feel the need to start another thread. What if in a situation where the player has to to a lot of running, like the flame aoe phase in the first boss in tol barad. I have issues with immo finishing a cycle and not being able to cast both immolate or HoG. So question is would it be a good idea to use fel flame if forced into a high pace running scenario?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Souper yes. Fel Flame was designed for the high intensive movement fights. If you will be running more then your GCD, and corruption has >1 tick or so remaining, you use Fel Flame. Im not 100% sure about this, but corruption has top priority when moving for Demo if Doom isnt past the last tick. After that, spam FF until you stop moving, since it offer the extra ticks on both Corruption and Immolate and some nonresistable damage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Always use Fel Flame while moving. I've been doing a lot of the new raids in the last week and I have found nothing but respect for the spell, as Demonology.

I.E. Atramedes - The best strategy for air phase is never stop moving, thus you refresh Doom, Corruption, and tap as appropriate, and keep Immolate alive via Fel Flame (and spam the shit out of it too)

R.I.P. YARG

Ok, well in that case i have a macro question. Is there away i can macro HoG and Fel Flame together. so when im stationary it will cast HoG but instead if im running around have it cast fel flame?

I can't seem to get HoG to work in poweraura's. Did anyone manage. I would like for it to warn me when it is not on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Souper friend View Post
    Ok, well in that case i have a macro question. Is there away i can macro HoG and Fel Flame together. so when im stationary it will cast HoG but instead if im running around have it cast fel flame?
    As far as I know, there are no macro options to check for your movement status, nor would that macro be practical. Even if there was an "if(Moving)" and you used it in conjunction with that macro, spamming the macro as you stop moving would queue up Fel Flame (either because you started spamming just before you stop, or because there would be a latency delay in updating your movement status) and delay Hand of Gul'dan by a global cooldown.

I must take a look at home with HoG and PowerAura, but I have it working.

Hm, and for myself I think about reducing haste , quite close to 1600, so crit come on ;-)

15+ Year Old Account
    What's the use for a poweraura on hand of guldan? I could be wrong here but isn't our HoG our best hitting direct dmg spell anyway? aka, even when immolate is prolonged with felflame HoG should still be cast on cooldown (ignoring the 10% demo crit for a moment here)

I use Demon for PvP, and usually I just use FF for if im chasing someone, or I don't have time to cast HoG. HoG is pretty powerful though, I get decent crits off it

With PowerAura you can monitor the CD of HoG. It will pop an Icon when it is ready for use again.