Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantoms View Post
    I always used Phantoms, then took that alias and made character names based on fun things about myself and the interactions I had with friends in the game.

For example:
    My main's name is Phantoms, everybody knows me as "Phantom(s)"
    My friend's name is Plantiller, everybody knows him as "Plant."

Lo and behold, I made my gnome warlock, and his name was Plantoms.

Thoughts on name blending like that, OP?
    Haha love it I have always used JLarks for my various online account names (which often gets shorted to larks). When making my hunter, I was looking at the talent trees when a mate suggested Larksmanship - my best name I reckon Either that or my priest Yougotdisced

10+ Year Old Account
    I admit, I find it rather awesome when my homies call me "Litter".
    I feel so appreciated.

OT: You're getting around even little aspect of the subject. It's silly how many wicked names you see out there. And usually, finding a name for my alts is what takes up most of the time.

Deleted
    Nice guide! I always tend to use mythology-related names for my characters, my Tauren shaman is called Audhumbla, my Tauren warrior Runhild. If you're really stuck you can also try to take a word and change it to a different language, f.e. my warlock is called Nebelhexe, which is german for "Mist Witch" (sounds a lot better in german imo).

Deleted
    Great reading really!

I usually take a few moments to spin up the Bullshit machine to get a propper name, but when I decided to tank and rolled a warrior I just took the word: "Slagen" From swedish which is translated beaten, just for the irony really. <:

Deleted
    I disagree wholeheartedly with this, most of the names you sugest as good I find a hell of a lot worse than indgame names. Sorry.

I met a hunter that was called "Ihavea" and his pet was "bigpenis"

10+ Year Old Account
    i enjoyed the guide but i dont really plan on making any new toons

i enjoy most of my names
    jellynut- goblin rogue(use to be undead) it was my first toon n i just kept hitting random name button n from the mix of what i seen it just popped in my head. when ever i try to make a rogue on another server jellynot is usually the name, although when i made a worgen rogue i came up with the name fourohfour (404) and found it amusing

mogoko- tauren druid... was an alteration to a random name that popped in my head.

jarack- undead mage ... just popped in my head.

supereight- Blood elf pally(would cange to tauren but w/e) this one was an inside joke(kinda) in tbc my guilds main tanks were hotel n motel , we also had a holidayinn so i followed suit.

eyedeekay- orc dk (wanted idk) i count dks as a free pass with naming them mostly for the luls... i also have a worgen Dk i just started named fakegrandma i still get a kick out of it.

uß- tauren warrior - nothing special made this guy with my friends hunter that was ub

ngoc - male undead warlock the name came from a youtube video my friend showed me after he made it to 80 i ended up looking up the name and it means "precious stone"or " jade" "Gender: Feminine"... not too fitting

gigabeat- troll shaman... random

nail- orc hunter i was surprised it wasn't taken i really enjoy this name n the other day one of my friends pointed out the fact hes Nail<You>

healaho - male priest love the name but im sure i'll have to change it at some point

i also made a worgen lock named hairypawter :P
    and a druid named fauxpawz
    i usually like funny puny names
    oprawindfury- shaman
    shamwow- shaman
    *seen more good ones ...but cant think... to tired*

Deleted
    Nice guide!

I like my char's name at the moment (remady, who's a swiss dj - his most well known song being "No Superstar"), but I think I'd change it if I went bloodelf.

I'd probably go with Kayriu which is basically "Kairyu", but with two letters inversed. That's a japanese word and fits well the idea of bloodelves, that are very "manga" if you see what I mean.

Deleted
    i like this thread! thanks

My tauren druid used to be named Ayvuir. While I really like it, it made people call me Steve in vent, which is nothing like my real name, either.
    When cat durid is FITE do not ask for HEEL and NINIRVATE!
    And we got a bare. Him is not nise bare because him is gonna eat a fase! Bares mostly like the taste of fase!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
    dear blizz,
    please fix paper, paper is wayyy too op, scissors are ok
    sincerely,
    Rock

I started out making names that were a bit too racially boring (Numbeard - dwarf hunter, Rusthoof - tauren druid).

Made some night elf twins (rogues) with my wife - Dazz and Zling.

Too many of the names I use are 5-year-old humor in other languages or backwards: Sunaykael = Leakyanus backwards; Sobyun = urine, in Korean (actually means "small thing", but it's like saying #1 or #2 in English).

Incidentally, Daebyun is #2.

Deleted
    Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all for your contributions and kind words on my guide. I'm going to take a break from WoW right now to play other games. Hopefully Boubouille will proceed to do His Great Work on Diablo III when that comes out, and I'll talk to you guys when that time comes. :]

Until then, may you find pride and glory in your names, real or fictional!

Love,

Nodata

10+ Year Old Account
    My character names are as followed, Stegz Toke Vb Kaelas pretty Unique ? :P I was the only character with Stegz from 05-2010 now their are like 30 characters with it, that annoys me ;p Kaelas I got out of a book, While toke and vb well.. you can guess those if you're over 13.

Deleted
    You've came up with an excellent guide. I didn't know coming up with a character name was so in depth. I just stare at the character name box for 10 minutes before mashing random keys in. Here are some examples of my latest keyboard mashing creations!;

• Hapeon - Worgen Mage (Male)
    • Grohabwyn - Human Rogue (Male)
    • Ardevon - Dwarf Paladin (Male)

• Nexenvon - Worgen Death Knight (Male)

I did however, come up with what I think is an excellent name. I made a male gnome mage called Grimsheeper. It did however, take up 1 hour of hard thinking.
    Last edited by mmoc18d9865647; 2011-07-30 at 07:01 AM. Reason: punctuation

Agreed on the compliments. I think this is a great guide even for people who have just started out and are looking for a good name.

Granted, I named my first toon...well, it's over there on the left. I only chose it for the Salty title! But I've gotten much better since then. My orc mage I named Arcanok; wanted something that felt magic-ish (arcane) and something that sounded orcish (suffix -ok!). My tauren pally I named Solarbeef (har), and my tauren DK is good ol' Chillhoof.

I'd also add that you can google "fantasy name generator" and get fantastic tools for when you just don't have any ideas. Get a few random results, see which ones stick out, and if none of them do, get some more!

Really good guide but i think there is another way to get good character names as well.

Take your real name and arrange the letters in a different order.

That's how I got my forum name. My real name is Eggo 7 F32rr

In all seriousness tho, this method is how I got most of my character names.
    Last edited by frogger237; 2011-08-04 at 08:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just flip through my dictionary till I find a cool word.

Irony, Paraphernalia, Mesmerize, Hallucination, Vocabulary, etc.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Not to be a downer but I'm gonna be a downer. There is no "right" way to name your character do whatever pleases you even if you name yourself lichking with alt characters.
    Hi Sephurik

Random name generator + some creativity goes a long way.
    Paladin- Nossianiis (Noss)
    Shaman- Kiatzu (Kia - should've thought that one through a little more, i'll admit.)
    Also, i saw the words backwards thing mentioned earlier, that's a very good approach. open up a book, flip to a random page, put your finger on 1-2 words and reverse them, you'd be suprised with the results sometimes.