Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wed View Post
    Weird, because when nobody in the group screws up the encounter, the healing and mana pools are more than enough to handle everything. If Blizz pumped up the heals, dps and tanks would start to suck again because simply "the healer can take care of it, and if not, he's a noob". I hope I never see that happen again.
    I think you have the wrong idea about my post. I am not asking for every heal I throw out to be a lay on hands. It would just be nice for once if I could heal for a little more than 15k when the lowest hp person in the party has 120k and any time somebody takes damage it is going to be in the 30-60k range. Expecting perfection from everybody all the time in every heroic is not realistic bro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathmaster740 View Post
    I threw in the towel on my priest
    I have better things to do then stare at my screen for 45 min waiting for a group only to have it fall apart because the healers and tanks keep quitting
    You're mad that other people are doing something that you did? That's not very constructive. I also don't think you should quit just because it's too hard. You should work to become a better healer and keep practicing, it's the same with anything.

Deleted
    U people just quit to fast... I just started healing when patch 3.3 came out and have to say it's much more fun now. Ok in the beginning it was really hard don't going oom. But by now I got myself a little mana pool and I enjoy healing more then during Wotlk where all I had to do was use 2 casts... in heroics I was just standing there doing almost nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Otaka View Post
    if you are oom so fast, l2p. and your grp needs to do so too.....mostly its your fault. so l2p.

And paladin dps? well l2p that too or get better gear or reroll a pure dps class. im doing fine 10k+ dps single target as warrior. thats 4k more than i did in wotlk with full epix.

IM NOT FULL EPIC NOW! there you go, get better gear. You didnt do 9k dps in the beginning of wotlk either...more like 3k-4k if even that.

When TBC endgame dps and wotlk starting dps had so big difference, tbc it was around 500-1500 dps. wotlk it was 2k-4k single target in the beginning compared to ENDING of tbc. now its like top notch wotlk gear 10k+ and newb cata gear 10k. just get better gear srsly....

when we start having full epix in cata we WILL have 15k+ dps. at the end of cata i bet we have 20k+ single target dps.

People just dont like that they cant do 200% more dps with scrub gear now in new expansion compared to old expansions top notch full epic gear. get used to it and stop whining and enjoy...

I hope you don't see your warrior as "pure dps class" either then, you're a tank/dps hybrid.

The whole pure dps class thing is also an outdated Blizzard philosophy. If you spec dps, you're dps, 100% competitive with any other dps spec.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=enbee
    -> I might be logged out in protpvpgear

There was an expansion. The game has changed in many ways.

Some people like the changes and have begun playing more.
    Some people don't like the changes and will quit playing.

The game is not dying because some people are quitting. People have been quitting since the beginning.
    The game is not dying because it isn't scoring perfect 10s at meaningless review sites.
    The game is not dying. Period.

In short, get over yourselves. This happens every expansion, and it'll keep happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TehTiny View Post
    I think you have the wrong idea about my post. I am not asking for every heal I throw out to be a lay on hands. It would just be nice for once if I could heal for a little more than 15k when the lowest hp person in the party has 120k and any time somebody takes damage it is going to be in the 30-60k range. Expecting perfection from everybody all the time in every heroic is not realistic bro.
    That's the problem you need to get over and I myself would admittedly have a rough time getting over, you can't keep people topped off. There's a reason everyone's sitting at roughly the same health pool, they want you to be mindful of your HP and have plenty to make one or two mistakes in an encounter without needing a heal unless it's purposely designed for the healer to top you off. I've had several heroic enounters where I as a dps warrior and mage would sit at 30% HP for most of the encounter. You simply need players to do their jobs correctly and need to prioritize your tank over unnecessary 'top off' heals on dps.

Every single healer I know has had issues with realizing this and once they get it in their heads that dps do not need to be at max HP and that the tank has priority it's helped them manage their mana a lot more efficiently. It's just growing pains, either learn it and get over it or stop healing.

...what class are you playing? What game are you playing?

30-60k per hit?
    You only heal for 15k?
    You either exaggerate or fail.

I"m going to guess a combo of the two.

Perfection isn't hard, especially in this game (which requires less reaction time than Super Mario Bros 3 for NES).
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

I find the Cataclysm healing design to be far more interesting than the Wrath model. I can't say for Classic or for TBC because I didn't play a healer then. Towards the end of Wrath my guild needed someone to fill in for our Holy Paladin after he transferred his main off. I decided instead of using my Paladin's Holy Offspec (I found the quite literal 2 button spec boring) I chose my Disc Priest.

A week after hitting 80 I was ready for ICC10 10/12 HM. With Wrath model, I was able to literally spam Flash Heal and Power Word: Shield (with PoM and other less-mana efficient things thrown in) an entire fight without going OOM.

I find having to spam spells in order to play keep up with your tanks HP and never really running the risk of OOMing is poor design philosophy. I LOVE that we have to pick and choose our heals and who we heal. The other party or raid members have a lot of say in whether or not we wipe. In Wrath they just made it go faster. Now I feel like (when they do it right) DPS are upstanding members of society that previously only belonged to Tanks and Healers.

I understand that they wanted to make healing challenging. I think they succeeded pretty well. It was initially difficult to grasp the concept that you could no longer spam heals and just overheal you're way through dungeons and raids. They wanted to make damage predictable and have groups pay penalties for people messing up mechanics. They have completed that task.

But by doing so, if a dps messes up, we need to heal them and in most cases will go OOM. Problem here is yes, they know it's not our fault that the dps died, but you make us feel completely powerless. I didn't know I was supposed to feel like an unnecessary part of a raid. Oh, you guys didn't mess up the mechanics? Cool, we win. Oh you did mess up mechanics and you died, well.. at least the run backs aren't too long. I don't know how this is fun to most people. If you are screwing up mechanics, it's incredibly easy and BORING to heal thru. If you do mess up the mechanics it's either extremely challegning or impossible to heal through.

DPS can keep dps'ing if they mess up mechanics, but if we go OOM, it's over. The healers are OOM, time to wipe it out. BORING BORING BORING.

Oh Blizzard you gave us talents so we can DPS and heal? Sweet! So in my spare time I can cast a 2 second nuke that crits for 12k (as disc)? SWEET, SIGN ME UP! Oh, I can even toss a reduced mana cost Holy Fire! WOOHOOO!!!

Seriously flawed mentality on Blizz's part IMO. By making healing "challenging" in Cata, they've completely removed the "challenge."

Honestly, I felt like H LK was a more challenging fight than any of this Cata content so far.

Deleted
    Expecting perfection from everybody all the time in every heroic is not realistic bro.
    So perfection is what? Not standing in the fire? Interrupting mobs that cast big damaging spells? It's really not that hard, but it always comes down to how the people are you play with. If you pug constantly, meaning you have a huge rotation of people, you will encounter way too many that are far away from perfection or even not being braindead. The point of heals being low and damage not increasing by 300% is to slow down the gameplay to a speed where you can actually plan your actions carefully instead of having half a second left to decide what to do before the tank dies. It's not everybody's favourite thing, but that's why there are other games to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3816 View Post
    Getting a friggen guild is not the answer to everything.
    Well it's not the answer for everything yes. But it's the answer for this thread's ''problems'' ill tell you for sure
    My Armory

In the begginning there was nothing... Then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said: ''Get a job''.
    That is the true story of universe

Deleted
    When we're 2 weeks into an expansion you have no reason to QQ about balance issues or healing, or even anything!

If you're such a life-long fan of WoW then surely you've experienced the issues with balance when a new expansion comes out. Balance issues were there in TBC, and definately in WotLK, these things just need a bit of time to tweak numbers to restore balance.

I find healing quite fun, sometimes its a tad boring as I am getting a bit over geared for heroics (342 Ilvl) but there are times where it is a bit hectic. When a DPS dies, I can always tell it was their own fault because they stand in something or pull aggro etc. Even after the nerf I can still heal just fine and the more I think about it, the nerf was warranted as holy light spam > LoD is pretty over powered, even still (albiet not so much)

Deleted
    You started playing in Wotlk.. says it all...

Quote Originally Posted by Captaincrab View Post
    We will go thru some growing pains, but it's definitely refreshing comparing it to Wraths "Spam 1-2 button fest".
    In Wrath we spam 1-2 button, now you do the same cause you can't hit the other ones without getting oom.
    The thing is: they tried to make something great with the healing in Cata, but unfortunately I think they overdone it just a little bit too much. And they know it.

I worked hard to get my priest to 85 because they said healing was going to be fun again but after healing many instances I felt inadequate and useless mostly. I have enough manna to get through about 2/3 of the battles and that was only when I casted a heal every 5 to 10 seconds. I found myself missing out on all the action as I can hardly enjoy myself or I'll be out of manna again. I have all these new spells but I can't use them and I'm sorry but that is not fun to me! I need action, something to do other then watch everyone else have fun.
    I threw in the towel on my priest and leveled my Paladin to 85 to have him destroyed by the Pally nerf. The dungeon finder Queues are 45 minutes to an hour as DPS and well I have better things to do then stare at my screen for 45 min waiting for a group only to have it fall apart because the healers and tanks keep quitting. I used to be able to do 12k single target DPS on my Paladin and now I'm lucky if I can get 6k dps.

I started playing TF2 again, it's so cool how I can just log in and have a Blast... I don't have to wait an hour!
    If you expected to be able to jump right into heroics and start stock piling loot well I'm glad you hit the wall.

Yes it's harder. It requires more than just spamming anything u want at anytime you want and steamrolling to victory.

I have a priest and so does my gf. She heals and I dps. She did have a hard time at first and we had to use a bunch of CDs, pots and whatnot several times in different dungeons and hell, you know what? It actually felt great. It was a challenge.

If you feel like you do its either because:

You hate healing.
    You hate challenges.
    You miss wrath.
    You are guildless.

If it's any of the top 3... I dunno what to say. Cata is a billion times better than what the game has been the last 2 years.

If you are guildless however, find one. It makes the whole Cataclysm experience so much better and easier on you at the same time.
    Last edited by Lifestream; 2010-12-21 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Typos

DPS can keep dps'ing if they mess up mechanics, but if we go OOM, it's over. The healers are OOM, time to wipe it out. BORING BORING BORING.
    Pretty sure that is how its been in WoW this whole time, until WotLK came along and everyone has infinite mana (so to speak).

I can agree with the op

I've been healing since early BC, it was fun back then because it was new to me, wrath healing was fun because you had to pay attention constantly and if you didn't hit someone with a heal fast enough, they died. Now, its kind of like BC again, but to me (as a resto druid) throwing 3 lifeblooms on the tank and then pushing my F key (nourish) over and over and over and over and over and over and then rejuv on the dps that stood in fire and then hit F again and over and over and over and over and wild growth and F, f, f, f, f, f, f, f, 1, f, f..... you get my point.

I like the idea they had for healing, and on paper it sounds good, but so far in practice its just.... dull. as hell. I wouldn't call it hard, its just a new way to do our job, its just boring. We have so many spells that we are punished for using with high mana cost and going oom. So basically every healer puts a hot on the tank and just spams nourish, heal, healing wave, or holy light. Quitting is a option, but so is switching roles. My guild has enough tanks, and dps is cheap (we generally have too many dps online and have to sit some), I'm always needed as heals, but I feel that I no longer enjoy my role.. after 4 long years and hundreds of hours in raids. Sad really, I'll stick around though, see what the future brings, but if I don't enjoy it by the end of the expac, well, I'm afraid I'll be waiting patiently for Diablo 3

I worked hard to get my priest to 85 because they said healing was going to be fun again but after healing many instances I felt inadequate and useless mostly. I have enough manna to get through about 2/3 of the battles and that was only when I casted a heal every 5 to 10 seconds. I found myself missing out on all the action as I can hardly enjoy myself or I'll be out of manna again. I have all these new spells but I can't use them and I'm sorry but that is not fun to me! I need action, something to do other then watch everyone else have fun.
    I threw in the towel on my priest and leveled my Paladin to 85 to have him destroyed by the Pally nerf. The dungeon finder Queues are 45 minutes to an hour as DPS and well I have better things to do then stare at my screen for 45 min waiting for a group only to have it fall apart because the healers and tanks keep quitting. I used to be able to do 12k single target DPS on my Paladin and now I'm lucky if I can get 6k dps.

I started playing TF2 again, it's so cool how I can just log in and have a Blast... I don't have to wait an hour!
    That restraint is part of the challenge. Knowing which spells to use is part of the challenge. In additon, there is no way you are getting through heroics only casting heal. You can and will be healing your face off.

It gets better, but if it's not for you, then I say enjoy TF2. It's an awesome game as well. In a couple content patches all the bad memories of challenging dungeons will go away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Xmile View Post
    Long queues? get a guild...
    Groups falling apart? get a guild...
    Funnily enough, I did a random last night and joined a group with 4 guildies who had just kicked out their healer, who was from their guild. Later on, when one of the DPS couldn't run out of AOE, they vote-kicked him out too. Joining a guild only helps if you're of roughly equal skill, otherwise you're frustrated that they're bad, or they're frustrated that you are.

Anyway, to the OP, healing isn't for everyone. In wrath, it was almost like playing a DPS class because each healing class pretty much had a set rotation of spells to use and it didn't involve mana management or triage or real spell selection like it had in BC. OTOH, Wrath brought a lot more variation to healing by introducing a lot of new tools and mechanics, they just ultimately failed by making spell selection meaningless with mana being virtually meaningless.

IMO, Cataclysm has mostly lived up to the promise of bringing back the best parts of vanilla and BC while making it better. Yes, mana mattered back then, but our toolboxes were tiny and the decision was more whether or not to cast rather than what to cast. We get tons of options now and, unlike in Wrath, each option is actually meaningful. Where in wrath I could spam Renew or Flash Heal or PoH for a whole boss fight and have 40% overheal and still have mana left over, why not use the power tools, but now, if I do that, I run oom instantly because I'm using a sledge hammer on a tac.

Healing is more enjoyable to me than it has been in a long time precisely because I now have to manage my mana AND I have tons of options, it really is pretty close to the best of both worlds to me. I do feel like they went a little overboard with health pools, but I also imagine that we'll grow into them as new raid tiers and better gear comes out.

Bottom line, I think this is how healing should be and it's a blast to a lot of us, but it may just not be that way for a lot of people anymore. For healers that enjoyed the more rotation-type of healing in wrath, it doesn't mean you're necessarily a bad player, but it just may mean healing isn't really for you and, perhaps, you'll enjoy DPS more than healing now. There's actually a pretty strong difference between the play styles of the roles now where I felt it was pretty blurred through much of Wrath, so some people may have ended up on the wrong side of that divide and unhappy with how the paradigm shifted around them. So, I encourage you to try other roles and, if you don't like them, then just quit playing.